Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:55:21 PM EDT
I don't understand some people.  I live out in the country in SW Ok, its pretty rural.  I mean like down a shitty gravel road, way off the beaten path kinda rural.

Most country people have dogs in my experience and those dogs can be territorial.   My house is out in the country and sits back from a gravel road by about 80 yards or so and my property has an exterior barbwire fence with a gate that I leave open most of the time cause its easier for me and the wife and kids to drive in and out without opening and closing the gate.

The main gate/entrance has 3 large "Private Property/No Trespassing"  signs.

The house itself is surrounded by a second fence, a chain link fence and my dogs are contained within that chain link fence.  

So a stranger drives up, sees the No Trespassing signs and parks right at the gate in my drive.  He then proceeds to walk up my driveway and opens the chain link fence and enters.  His big mistake!  My wife heard the dogs (we have 5, they are mostly muts) go berserk and knew something was wrong.  She walked to the front door and saw the guy with four dogs latched on, one on each leg and one hanging from each arm, the last dog, our Great Dane was circling from behind.

With loud yelling from my wife she was able to get the dogs to let go and the guy immediately exited the chain link fence area.  We don't know him, he said he was looking for me to enquire about a possible job which I find highly suspect.    

My wife was worried about the dogs attacking him but I am not.  He crossed two fences on posted property, his mistake not ours.

I guess I need to add more signs on my property. I feel I am a responsible pet owner, even though I live out in the country with 10 acres of my own but everything around me is open farm and ranch land, I don't let my dogs roam.  They stay inside a large fenced area.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
He played the game, he won the prize.

Not your problem. Your dogs were retained in an enclosed area that he entered, they did what came naturally to them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't understand some people.  I live out in the country in SW Ok, its pretty rural.  I mean like down a shitty gravel road, way off the beaten path kinda rural.

Most country people have dogs in my experience and those dogs can be territorial.   My house is out in the country and sits back from a gravel road by about 80 yards or so and my property has an exterior barbwire fence with a gate that I leave open most of the time cause its easier for me and the wife and kids to drive in and out without opening and closing the gate.

The house itself is surrounded by a second fence, a chain link fence and my dogs are contained within that chain link fence.  

So a stranger drives up, sees the No Trespassing signs and parks right at the gate in my drive.  He then proceeds to walk up my driveway and opens the chain link fence and enters.  His big mistake!  My wife heard the dogs (we have 5, they are mostly muts) go berserk and knew something was wrong.  She walked to the front door and saw the guy with four dogs latched on, one on each leg and one hanging from each arm, the last dog, our Great Dane was circling from behind.

With loud yelling from my wife she was able to get the dogs to let go and the guy immediately exited the chain link fence area.  We don't know him, he said he was looking for me to enquire about a possible job which I find highly suspect.    

My wife was worried about the dogs attacking him but I am not.  He crossed two fences on posted property, his mistake not ours.

I guess I need to add more signs on my property. I feel I am a responsible pet owner, even though I live out in the country with 10 acres of my own but everything around me is open farm and ranch land, I don't let my dogs roam.  They stay inside a large fenced area.
View Quote

you aren't responsible.  You place numerous signs and fences telling people to stay the fuck out.  Its not your fault the person can't read or is dumb as shit.  And it sure isn't your dogs fault.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't fix that kind of stupid with 1000 signs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah... he kinda asked for it.

No way he didn't know the dogs were there before he opened the gate on your interior fence. Not with 5 of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Had the same thing happen to me.

You're in the clear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck. IANAL and I'm no expert, but I have a feeling that your insurance agent and lawyer will be involved in your life soon, and I agree with you it's his fault, but that doesn't matter much.

ETA: I see there are others with experience saying I'm wrong...that's good. I have a pair of bitey twins and secure my rural place like you, but I've always planned if they did their work as intended I'd have accompanying problems of insurance and lawyers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
How fucking stupid is that guy?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
His fault
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap! We have a situation where the owner of the bitey dog is 100% in the right. I don't see what else you could have done, OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck. IANAL and I'm no expert, but I have a feeling that your insurance agent and lawyer will be involved in your life soon, and I agree with you it's his fault, but that doesn't matter much.

ETA: I see there are others with experience saying I'm wrong...that's good. I have a pair of bitey twins and secure my rural place like you, but I've always planned if they did their work as intended I'd have accompanying problems of insurance and lawyers.
View Quote

No you're probably right.

My victim didn't press the issue, but I bet she would have if I didn't have it all on surveillance video.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Please do not take this as me blaming you because I am not. But, you may want to rethink your signs. I am ok with the signs at the first gate. I would post another sign 70 yards out "are you stupid", at 60 yards "dumbass, really no trespassing" and so on down to the chain link fence gate. This is where you need a sign explaining that person reading the sign is about to be eaten by 4 dogs. You also need to get a camera so we can see said individuals dance around with a dog on each appendage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
He did exactly what he wasn't supposed to do, & they did exactly what they were supposed to do. Good doggies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I wasn't home when it happened.  My wife described him as "mid 30's sketchy looking Indian or Mexican guy with a beat-up pickup."  That's half the population of my county

She said he was very apologetic and said he probably shouldn't have came on the property after seeing the signs

She asked him if he was ok and he said yes as he was walking back down the drive to leave.  Don't know for sure what he wanted or was doing but he wouldn't be the first person to come on my property looking around, acting wierd.

Edit to ad I have now put Beware of Dog signs on the chain link fence just in case you crossed the first fence boundary and bypassed the other signs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
"We don't know him, he said he was looking for me to enquire about a possible job which I find highly suspect. "

Sounds like a good bite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Post his resume.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope you're buying some steaks on the way home.

Good dogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#18]
While I agree you should be in the clear, I doubt you are.

I had a dog bite a neighbor kid in our fenced in back yard. Bit him on the ear and he had a hospital visit. We were not home when it happened.

Much later we got a demand letter from an attorney for medical costs. Turned that over to insurance.

Much later we got a cancellation notice from the insurance company. They paid the claim, but said we couldn't be insured with a vicious dog.

Bottom line, if sees an attorney, your insurance will be paying and you may have trouble.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Good dogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Post his resume.
View Quote

LOL. His resume consisted of, "I was looking for your husband to ask about a job."

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My victim didn't press the issue, but I bet she would have if I didn't have it all on surveillance video.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course if they drag their victim to the hog pen...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck him.
I hate trespassers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How long did it take to heal?  First the thumb, now this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had the same thing happen to me.

You're in the clear.

How long did it take to heal?  First the thumb, now this.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I trust you scolded the great dane.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So a stranger drives up, sees the No Trespassing signs and parks right at the gate in my drive.  He then proceeds to walk up my driveway and opens the chain link fence and enters.  His big mistake!  My wife heard the dogs (we have 5, they are mostly muts) go berserk and knew something was wrong. She walked to the front door and saw the guy with four dogs latched on, one on each leg and one hanging from each arm, the last dog, our Great Dane was circling from behind for the kill.

View Quote

that mother fucker needed new underwear for sure. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bottom line, if sees an attorney, your insurance will be paying and you may have trouble.
View Quote

From the description of the guy I would not be too worried.  Does your wife carry when close to unknown people?  I don't want to worry you but scum do exist in the USA.  I just heard of two brothers who are alleged or thought to have killed a couple.  I don't have specifics but it is best to stay vigilant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Can't fault the dogs. Some people really are just that dumb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Good chomp.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fuck him.
I hate trespassers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him.
I hate trespassers.

may be worth talking to a lawyer. I seem to remember a lawyer saying to press trespassing charges. Maybe before idiot has a chance to file a lawsuit? police report may be a bad idea, maybe not. I don't know. I would be worried personally. I would hate to have to give up my dog.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a dirtbag played stupid games and got a stupid fuckin' prize.

Good bite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#32]
your dogs are going to get shot and your place robbed
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good dogs.
View Quote

I would be thawing 5 steaks....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the only thing I see wrong with the story.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#35]
My one gun club had a problem with neighbors riding horses and ATV's on the wooded gun club property.  I guess some parts would have been downrange of the trap field and rifle range.  So at one of the gun club meetings I suggested putting up a fence.  The gun club president was friends with the club's lawyer, and they had already talked about that.  The club president said that building a fence gets you into this legal area called "attractive nuisance"...that people will climb the fence just to see what is on the other side.

EDIT:  posting "Beware of Dogs", I have heard, can also be a legal "mess" too, because a lawyer seeking damages or compensation for his client's medical bills, could say "You knew those dogs were dangerous, and thus, posted those signs."

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Cave canes!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Generally entering your property via a walkway and going to the door isn't trespassing and theoretically you could have legal issues but I'm guessing your visitor doesn't want to tell the authorities his name, place of birth or business in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My one gun club had a problem with neighbors riding horses and ATV's on the wooded gun club property.  I guess some parts would have been downrange of the trap field and rifle range.  So at one of the gun club meetings I suggested putting up a fence.  The gun club president was friends with the club's lawyer, and they had already talked about that.  The club president said that building a fence gets you into this legal area called "attractive nuisance"...that people will climb the fence just to see what is on the other side.
View Quote

That guy is a retard.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good dogs.

People really thaw steaks?   Just buy them fresh on the way home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#40]
He just came to 'ask' if you had any personal property you like to go missing...

Good bite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

EDIT:  posting "Beware of Dogs", I have heard, can also be a legal "mess" too, because a lawyer seeking damages or compensation for his client's medical bills, could say "You knew those dogs were dangerous, and thus, posted those signs."

View Quote

"The more I think about it ole Billy was right.  Let's kill all the lawyers.  Kill 'em tonight."
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#42]
You have a gate AND signs? Good bite!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That guy is a retard.

http://e.lvme.me/3risbcx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy is a retard.

http://e.lvme.me/3risbcx.jpg

Probably, in reality, the club was just too cheap to pay to have a fence installed

And used "attractive nuisance" as a cop out answer.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Do you have a BEWARE DOGS sign?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I always give the dog people hell on here, but you did everything right.  F that guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good dogs.

Do you even hunt bro?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#48]

If this were a Pit Bull thread...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Did the trespasser guy have a pair of channel locks in one hand, and a natural gas disconnect notice in the other hand?

Maybe we can get Turboguy to inject some common sense into this thread???

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Did you not know that a open gate means come in?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top