Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:32 PM EDT
My eye has been bothering me for a couple of days, or rather my lower eyelid has...I thought I scratched myself without realizing it.  A red streak going down about an inch, sort of looked and felt like a scrape, burns like a scrape, too, but other than the redness, no real sign of a scrape.

Today I took a closer look at it, and there look to be some very small blisters forming.  That sort of made it click for me, I've had shingles, and the burning feels like shingles.  I've pretty much convinced myself it's shingles.  Went to the doc at lunch, but no openings, I see her tomorrow at 10:30.  Starting to feel some pressure on my eye this afternoon.  Not quite like a migraine or sinus issue, and not all that bad, but possibly like something that will trip a migraine.  Yay.

I recall being told that anything near the eye is bad business...how true is that?  Should I have hit the urgent care clinic instead of waiting until tomorrow?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It's allergies causing blisters on your eyeballs.  I've had it before and it sucks!!  And it can freak you right the hell out, too.  

Go the optometrist tomorrow, they'll be able to get you a couple different prescriptions that will take care of it.
In the meantime, swing by Walmart and pick up some allergy eyedrops that have diphenhydramine (Allergan, I think), same drug they put in Benadryl.  

If you have anything that looks milky or cloudy on your eye, hit the urgent care.  Otherwise, you can wait until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag, because I have a similar thing going on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to urgent care right now. Very easy to lose sight from shingles in the eye. Anti-Virals are gonna be your friend if that is what it is and minutes can be important.

And get a new primary doc for not telling you this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to urgent care right now. Very easy to lose sight from shingles in the eye. Anti-Virals are gonna be your friend if that is what it is and minutes can be important.

View Quote

At least get it checked out. My Mom had shingles in one eye....She barely has use of it now. Nasty business if that is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

She did actually tell me something along those lines, but I couldn't recall what degree of urgency the situation required.  Memory like a race track...it's coming...it's coming...AH HA!...nope, gone.

The walk-in clinic closed an hour ago.  Just have to cross my fingers and hope Repairman_Jack is right about it being allergies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Could be the Herps. If so, still get to the doc ASAP. Same/similar antivirals work on the herps as they do shingles.
BOTH can easily take the vision of the effected eye permanantly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I would probably go to the ER if that was all that was available. But then I enjoy seeing out of both eyes a lot.

It's your money and your eye. Your choice. Maybe nothing maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's allergies causing blisters on your eyeballs.  I've had it before and it sucks!!  And it can freak you right the hell out, too.  

Go the optometrist tomorrow, they'll be able to get you a couple different prescriptions that will take care of it.
In the meantime, swing by Walmart and pick up some allergy eyedrops that have diphenhydramine (Allergan, I think), same drug they put in Benadryl.  

If you have anything that looks milky or cloudy on your eye, hit the urgent care.  Otherwise, you can wait until tomorrow.
View Quote

It can also open the gate to more serious eye infections. A few months ago I went to bed feeling like I had a grain of sand under the eye. Woke up later to find green pus coming from the eye. Went to the doc and he said it could have hospitalized me if ignored for 1 day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It can also open the gate to more serious eye infections. A few months ago I went to bed feeling like I had a grain of sand under the eye. Woke up later to find green pus coming from the eye. Went to the doc and he said it could have hospitalized me if ignored for 1 day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These aren't blisters on my eyeballs themselves, just on the outside below my eye on my lower eyelid.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My eye has been bothering me for a couple of days, or rather my lower eyelid has...I thought I scratched myself without realizing it.  A red streak going down about an inch, sort of looked and felt like a scrape, burns like a scrape, too, but other than the redness, no real sign of a scrape.

Today I took a closer look at it, and there look to be some very small blisters forming.  That sort of made it click for me, I've had shingles, and the burning feels like shingles.  I've pretty much convinced myself it's shingles.  Went to the doc at lunch, but no openings, I see her tomorrow at 10:30.  Starting to feel some pressure on my eye this afternoon.  Not quite like a migraine or sinus issue, and not all that bad, but possibly like something that will trip a migraine.  Yay.

I recall being told that anything near the eye is bad business...how true is that?  Should I have hit the urgent care clinic instead of waiting until tomorrow?

View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

IM sent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent.

Well, shit.  IM received, and along with some increased pain, swelling, and a new irritant like something under my upper eyelid...*sigh*...on my way to the ER.

ETA:  Sitting in ER now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting.  I KNEW I should have chugged a few beers before I came.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
3 hours later....Valtrex in case it is shingles, follow-up with ophthalmologist  tomorrow.  They put about 100 drops of this or that in my eye and looked at it with a blacklight, said my eye itself was clear.  Hurt like hell when the dude held my eye open, like the skin was about to split open, and burning worse than ever right now.  With no open lesions, I don't guess there's any way to really test to see if it is shingles.

Oh well...at least now I can have a couple of drinks to numb the pain.  It's really getting annoying.  I'll update if the eye guy has anything interesting to say.

Edited for spelling...seriously, ophthalmologist?  Someone needs to time travel back and kick the Greeks in the nads for that one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had shingles before too and remember reading that shingles on the face/eyes is serious shit.  Get thee to a physician ASAFP.  

And fuck shingles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had shingles before too and remember reading that shingles on the face/eyes is serious shit.  Get thee to a physician ASAFP.  

And fuck shingles.
View Quote

Yep, that's what prompted all this, I've had shingles too so I knew it wasn't something to fuck around with.  Fortunately I've never had it bad, small patches, but if that's what this is, the location bothered me.  Just like shingles, the pain comes and goes...and fuck me if it ain't burning right now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I had eye shingels back in 2001.  felt like a ice pick being driven into my eyeball...

they were on my retina, super rare.

eye is fine now.

ETA:
luckily my doctors were Mayo Clinic docs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had eye shingels back in 2001.  felt like a ice pick being driven into my eyeball...

eye is fine now.

ETA:
View Quote

That right there is what I'm trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been drinking, but reading 1/4 of your post indicates you need trifluridine. Keep it in the fridge
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:01:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eye is fine now.

ETA:

it seriously hurt like hell.

hope its not what u have
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I would probably go to the ER if that was all that was available. But then I enjoy seeing out of both eyes a lot.

It's your money and your eye. Your choice. Maybe nothing maybe not.
View Quote
This.

You get exactly two eyes to last your entire life. Get to the ER, and have it checked out. Herpes or small pox in your eye can cause blindness quickly. Your eye is the absolute WORST place to get a viral infection: your immune system has no activity in your eyes.

IF it turns out to be some sort of allergy, then you are VERY lucky.

When it comes to your eyes, don't fuck around!

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
My regular doc said I done good, and agreed with everything the ER did.  Gave me a scrip for pain meds in case the pain intensifies...ER offered to do the same and I declined, regular doc didn't give me a choice, lol.  I don't have to fill it, but I will...hydrocodone is a handy thing to have on hand.

Next up, ophthalmologist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top