BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
A new round of BRAC would be the death knell for several of the AF's former Minuteman bases that lost their missiles due to START.  Move  the aircraft to another base, close the place and save a fortune on the heating costs alone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC the last round of BRAC wound up causing problems when we realized our military was too small.  We tried adding combat brigades and found that with all the base closures we didn't have anywhere to put the new troops.  This required a whole lot of new construction, not only for barracks/headquarters buildings/motor pools, but also new power, sewer, water, roads, etc.

Is there a way they can sort of 'mothball' bases for when we inevitably need to expand our military?  

-K

View Quote

The Leftists are in charge now and we will NEVER need more military.

TC

P.S.--I vote to close Andrews AFB...er, I mean, "Joint Base Andrews".  All they do is haul trash out of there anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
"We had a Scout jamboree there when I was still young enough to be into scouting.  There are, or were, buildings just like the ones you describe at Ft. Benning.  They looked like shit, almost as bad as the ones on McClellan just without the vegetation overgrowth and they still had Soldiers living in them as late as early 2009.  

McClellan was a military facility that served it's purpose and time has moved on, just like Fort Apache, AZ "

I was there also. In early 80's. A Scout was killed during the jamboree in an accident when a bell on a climbing rope fell and hit him on the head.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
All that SHARP training money has gotta come from somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's customary to get some form of "the crud" when spending time at a military base in a training role/environment for the first time.  Had you been there for week two you could have channeled what a basic trainee experienced.

ETA:  Anyone remember the letters you may have gotten if a health issue was identified with government facilities?  I got one for my dorm while living in it in Korea in 1988.  Basically was an advisement that they were aware of a Radon presence in the dorm and not to worry that readings indicated that it was equivalent to no more of a risk than smoking half a pack of cigarettes a day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at Fort McClellan for basic training in 1994.  

That's some clean land, there.  Nothing toxic at all.  No health effects for vets who served there...

No worries, the VA's got this

Exactly.  Thanks for the Superfund site.

Never really been sick in my life. Spent a week at FM doing land navigation and patrol type tactics in the woods.

Three days after I got home came down with pneumonia.

It's customary to get some form of "the crud" when spending time at a military base in a training role/environment for the first time.  Had you been there for week two you could have channeled what a basic trainee experienced.

ETA:  Anyone remember the letters you may have gotten if a health issue was identified with government facilities?  I got one for my dorm while living in it in Korea in 1988.  Basically was an advisement that they were aware of a Radon presence in the dorm and not to worry that readings indicated that it was equivalent to no more of a risk than smoking half a pack of cigarettes a day.

This.  Every time I go to training for more than a few days, I get an upper respiratory infection.  Don't know why, it just happens.

TC
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a see-saw affect. Every now and then some genius looks at the map and says we have too many bases costing us too much money, so let's spend a fuck-ton closing some and consolidating, which of course requires billions to accomplish when you add in all costs including new construction needed etc to make it happen

Then a few years later some genius says our fewer number of bases make for easier targets in the event of a war- so let's spend a fuck-ton to spread things out and create some redundancy just in case, which of course requires billions to accomplish when you add in all costs including new construction needed etc to make it happen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe we should reopen or rebuild bases, Build up capabilities to Cold War levels, Increase our nuclear ICBMs, SLBMs, and bomber delivery, and Produce large amounts of chemical weapons.

Any nation attempting to build up in response that isn't NATO should be destroyed, and destroy China economically so we become the economic and military superpower in the world with no other competing. This is to ensure the U.S.A's safety.,
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went to basic there in 83. In google I can see some of the company baracks are gone with only concrete pads left.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's sad going out to Fort McCllelan and seeing all those buildings deteriorate.
I went to basic there in 83. In google I can see some of the company baracks are gone with only concrete pads left.  

Was there in 82.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I believe we should reopen or rebuild bases, Build up capabilities to Cold War levels, Increase our nuclear ICBMs, SLBMs, and bomber delivery, and Produce large amounts of chemical weapons.

Any nation attempting to build up in response that isn't NATO should be destroyed, and destroy China economically so we become the economic and military superpower in the world with no other competing. This is to ensure the U.S.A's safety.,
View Quote

Six posts in and laying down the gauntlet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Won't save anything. The money will just be diverted to the FSA.
View Quote
i agree.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Congress to Pentagon: "That won't help our reelection chances when the local economy goes to shit."
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the military allowed to simply stop assigning anybody to an unnecessary base?  Leave the keys in the mailbox and let tweakers strip the plumbing?
View Quote

Fort Ord
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Perhaps closing a few overseas bases is the right place to start....or just have the host country paying part of the bill.
View Quote

That's always the first answer. We've done it to death, and overseas is where we need forces to take the fight to the enemy.

I agree HN should foot a large percentage of the bill.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Eustis is the biggest shithole I saw during my 20 years. I was there in 2004/05 and they were scraping asbestos out of the building we were staying in. All the workers were wearing respirators but we just slept, showered, and hung out in there like it was cool.

That place needs to go. Great fishing though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joint Base Langley-Eustis will probably go next. They'll move the F22s to Dover or somewhere South.

Eustis is the biggest shithole I saw during my 20 years. I was there in 2004/05 and they were scraping asbestos out of the building we were staying in. All the workers were wearing respirators but we just slept, showered, and hung out in there like it was cool.

That place needs to go. Great fishing though.

How do you figure?  ACC is HQ'd there and there are a bunch of other HAF level units that are tenant to that base.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#17]
To the comments about Maxwell's 130s-The base is active duty and supports AETC's OTS mission and Air University.  The flying mission there is tenant  and is relatively small.  The 130 mission can move to almost any base/be combined with any of the other small reserve 130 units spread across the country.

The AF alone has the infrastructure to support a 4 million man force but we are around 300k in size.  We absolutely need to downsize the number of bases because we do not have nearly the number of personnel required to keep that many buildings/bases open.  Any talk of keeping bases open to support the local economy is stupid.  The military is not a jobs program.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's sad going out to Fort McCllelan and seeing all those buildings deteriorate.

Ha, went through A/787 in 94.  Did a Google and found this Facebook group for 'survivors of the toxic water at McMuffin' Health Registry Act
Here
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
with all the dangers we face in this world we need to keep our assets spread out, we are already in a world of hurt  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congress to Pentagon: "That won't help our reelection chances when the local economy goes to shit."

Everybody wants small government until it is time to do smaller government stuff.

And incumbents are re-elected at about a 95% rate.
with all the dangers we face in this world we need to keep our assets spread out, we are already in a world of hurt  

That doesn't mean there cannot be greater efficiency. Initial Entry Training is an area where redundancy can be eliminated.

I don't like the new fort and base names but eliminating multiple garrison functions by creating the Joint Bases eliminated redundancy that was co-located in close geographic proximity.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know who's to blame.

Maxwell AFB has the Air War College, and the base is investing in better communication structure.
But at the same time the AF wants to take the C130s away and give them to another base. Thus leaving Maxwell with no real permanent air wing. Yet the landing strip was upgraded to handle large craft like the C5 and AF1 when the potus visits.

So the base will remain for AWC and information, the runway will be maintained for a few flights including a NASA weather flight everyday.
Yet taking away the 130s makes sense some how? Versus moving other air wings to Maxwell that will remain either way.
View Quote

Maxwell/ Gunter serves to house Nat. Guard and Army Reserve units as well.  Closing or reducing it would put a HUGE burden on AL Nat Guard and 429 MMB units.  We are running on a shoestring as it is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#22]
So how soon before Obama says well we should start by giving back Guantánamo  to Cuba?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I remember going out there in the 90's for training. Great place.

Now all the apartment style buildings were torn down. All those huge concrete buildings just going to waste.

It was closed in retaliation for Shelby switching from democrat to republican.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

I remember going out there in the 90's for training. Great place.

Now all the apartment style buildings were torn down. All those huge concrete buildings just going to waste.

It was closed in retaliation for Shelby switching from democrat to republican.

I went out there once in the late '90's to try to catch up with my brother's JROTC detachment (I was given the wrong date and they'd already left), it was sad to see barracks I'd slept in with collapsed roofs and trees growing through them.   The quarters we lived in on Redstone Arsenal are gone now, as well, per Google Earth.  Both of the bases we lived in in Germany were turned back over to the Germans years ago, although the quarters we lived in in Darmstadt are still at least physically there.  As for units in Germany, we pulled almost all of them out, now we're looking at having to send some back, at least on a rotational basis.  Only two combat brigades left are the 173rd Airborne, which is split between Germany and Italy, and the 2nd Stryker Cavalry, they pulled the 172nd Infantry Brigade (mechanized) out a few years ago, taking the only heavy US forces out of theater (actually decommissioned the unit, IIRC).  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#24]
The DOD will realign the bases.
Joint Base Lewis-McChord-Everett-Bangor-Kitsap-Fairchild-Keyport-Whidbey-whatever...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top