Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:37:14 PM EDT
Pentagon officials say the Defense Department is wasting money on excess facilities and needs Congress to step in and close them, but they face an uphill fight.
View Quote

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/2016/04/15/pentagon-requests-brac/83082038/

Yay.... Another round of BRAC...  I'm sure the Pentagon knows all about wasting money.

ETA:  I nominate the Pentagon for the first closure!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Every once in awhile you wonder if they are on the same team.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Congress to Pentagon: "That won't help our reelection chances when the local economy goes to shit."
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the military allowed to simply stop assigning anybody to an unnecessary base?  Leave the keys in the mailbox and let tweakers strip the plumbing?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Air Combat Command alone has 40 percent ramp capacity than is necessary.   Every base kept open is a massive decrease in funding available for aircraft operations.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the military allowed to simply stop assigning anybody to an unnecessary base?  Leave the keys in the mailbox and let tweakers strip the plumbing?
View Quote

Then Congress just hauls the services in and tells them not to move the tenant units.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Congress to Pentagon: "That won't help our reelection chances when the local economy goes to shit."
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then Congress just hauls the services in and tells them not to move the tenant units.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Congress micromanage all units, or do they just perk up when a move is politically irritating?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC the last round of BRAC wound up causing problems when we realized our military was too small.  We tried adding combat brigades and found that with all the base closures we didn't have anywhere to put the new troops.  This required a whole lot of new construction, not only for barracks/headquarters buildings/motor pools, but also new power, sewer, water, roads, etc.

Is there a way they can sort of 'mothball' bases for when we inevitably need to expand our military?  

-K
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does Congress micromanage all units, or do they just perk up when a move is politically irritating?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure where the line is, but relocating an aircraft carrier will get attention, while moving the 407th reserve postal detachment probably won't.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everybody wants small government until it is time to do smaller government stuff.

And incumbents are re-elected at about a 95% rate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Perhaps closing a few overseas bases is the right place to start....or just have the host country paying part of the bill.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IIRC the last round of BRAC wound up causing problems when we realized our military was too small.  We tried adding combat brigades and found that with all the base closures we didn't have anywhere to put the new troops.  This required a whole lot of new construction, not only for barracks/headquarters buildings/motor pools, but also new power, sewer, water, roads, etc.

Is there a way they can sort of 'mothball' bases for when we inevitably need to expand our military?  

-K

View Quote

We can't keep our bases from molding and falling apart while in use. Those buildings would have to be rebuilt anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know who's to blame.

Maxwell AFB has the Air War College, and the base is investing in better communication structure.
But at the same time the AF wants to take the C130s away and give them to another base. Thus leaving Maxwell with no real permanent air wing. Yet the landing strip was upgraded to handle large craft like the C5 and AF1 when the potus visits.

So the base will remain for AWC and information, the runway will be maintained for a few flights including a NASA weather flight everyday.
Yet taking away the 130s makes sense some how? Versus moving other air wings to Maxwell that will remain either way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
should close Bragg and let them train on the merc
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]
The title loan, tattoo, and exotic dancing industries do not approve.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Perhaps closing a few overseas bases is the right place to start....or just have the host country paying part of the bill.
View Quote

You're cute. I think I'll keep you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's sad going out to Fort McCllelan and seeing all those buildings deteriorate.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
They should shut down Ft Meade.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's sad going out to Fort McCllelan and seeing all those buildings deteriorate.
View Quote
I went to basic there in 83. In google I can see some of the company baracks are gone with only concrete pads left.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a sad sight, and now that the bypass is open, there is no need to cut through McClellan going from Oxford to Heroes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#23]
The Hercs aren't AD. I think they are guard.

ETA: screwed up the quote. The 130s at Maxwell are not active duty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Everybody wants small government until it is time to do smaller government stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true.

The only thing Montgomery has is Maxwell AFB and the state capital.
It would kill our area, especially the satellite town/cities if Maxwell closed. My city, Prattville, benefits greatly from military renters because "stay out of Montgomery" is the first thing told to incoming people.

The math would have to be done to decide what is best, save $xx from base closing, or save $xx by not putting 2,000 civilians on unemployment
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I remember going out there in the 90's for training. Great place.

Now all the apartment style buildings were torn down. All those huge concrete buildings just going to waste.

It was closed in retaliation for Shelby switching from democrat to republican.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I remember going out there in the 90's for training. Great place.

Now all the apartment style buildings were torn down. All those huge concrete buildings just going to waste.

It was closed in retaliation for Shelby switching from democrat to republican.

We had a Scout jamboree there when I was still young enough to be into scouting.  There are, or were, buildings just like the ones you describe at Ft. Benning.  They looked like shit, almost as bad as the ones on McClellan just without the vegetation overgrowth and they still had Soldiers living in them as late as early 2009.  

McClellan was a military facility that served it's purpose and time has moved on, just like Fort Apache, AZ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I was at Fort McClellan for basic training in 1994.  

That's some clean land, there.  Nothing toxic at all.  No health effects for vets who served there...

No worries, the VA's got this
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's some clean land, there.  Nothing toxic at all.  No health effects for vets who served there...

View Quote

Exactly.  Thanks for the Superfund site.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Too Contaminated
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Wi h the US topping the list on military expenditures, and besting the next four countries combined by a good margin, are we as taxpayers really getting the value from it that we should expect?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Congress has to keep their constituents happy by guaranteeing military spending.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sad but true.

It would kill our area, especially the satellite town/cities if Maxwell closed. My city, Prattville, benefits greatly from military renters because "stay out of Montgomery" is the first thing told to incoming people.

The math would have to be done to decide what is best, save $xx from base closing, or save $xx by not putting 2,000 civilians on unemployment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true.

There are a lot of good reasons to keep or close a base, to keep it open merely as a jobs program is not one of the good ones.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Time to close some overseas bases.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wi h the US topping the list on military expenditures, and besting the next four countries combined by a good margin, are we as taxpayers really getting the value from it that we should expect?
View Quote

Yes.

As a percent of GDP we have greatly reduced our military budge.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Won't save anything. The money will just be diverted to the FSA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#35]
end affirmative action in the military and everything and everyone connected with it...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]
The problem with BRAC is that the retards in DC have made the process so fucking convoluted and expensive that it nullifies any cost savings. Politicians fuck everything up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Hercs aren't AD. I think they are guard.

ETA: screwed up the quote. The 130s at Maxwell are not active duty.
View Quote

They're Reserve.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The problem with BRAC is that the retards in DC have made the process so fucking convoluted and expensive that it nullifies any cost savings. Politicians fuck everything up.
View Quote

Just in case anyone in this thread has been living under a rock, BRAC doesn't target money savings, strategic needs or useful infrastructure.  It targets votes, and that is all it targets.  Honestly, if all military bases in the US were to suddenly vanish, and new bases created from scratch with no political input, I doubt more than a handful of non-Navy bases would be in the same spot.  Even most of the Navy bases would probably move.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The title loan, tattoo, and exotic dancing industries do not approve.
View Quote

Don't forget the poor pawn shop owners.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
should close Bragg and let them train on the merc
View Quote

Isn't it the Murch?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Blue states hate the military - close those & relocate the troops to the red states...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Joint Base Langley-Eustis will probably go next. They'll move the F22s to Dover or somewhere South.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Never really been sick in my life. Spent a week at FM doing land navigation and patrol type tactics in the woods.

Three days after I got home came down with pneumonia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Thanks for the Superfund site.

Never really been sick in my life. Spent a week at FM doing land navigation and patrol type tactics in the woods.

Three days after I got home came down with pneumonia.

It's customary to get some form of "the crud" when spending time at a military base in a training role/environment for the first time.  Had you been there for week two you could have channeled what a basic trainee experienced.

ETA:  Anyone remember the letters you may have gotten if a health issue was identified with government facilities?  I got one for my dorm while living in it in Korea in 1988.  Basically was an advisement that they were aware of a Radon presence in the dorm and not to worry that readings indicated that it was equivalent to no more of a risk than smoking half a pack of cigarettes a day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

with all the dangers we face in this world we need to keep our assets spread out, we are already in a world of hurt

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You take that back!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#47]
they can close my base...I will take an early out!!!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Joint Base Langley-Eustis will probably go next. They'll move the F22s to Dover or somewhere South.
View Quote

Eustis is the biggest shithole I saw during my 20 years. I was there in 2004/05 and they were scraping asbestos out of the building we were staying in. All the workers were wearing respirators but we just slept, showered, and hung out in there like it was cool.

That place needs to go. Great fishing though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You take that back!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You take that back!  

Uh, no.  I want out of this hell hole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Blue states hate the military - close those & relocate the troops to the red states...
View Quote

If the red states got all the bases, then there would be nothing to prevent secession.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top