Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 2:23:08 PM EDT
He nailed the assignment.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/04/18/tension-builds-at-high-school-after-essay-may-consider-racist/

The controversy started earlier this month when a student’s satirical essay—said as a response to racism would be to send African-Americans to the Sahara to be killed.

That was the student’s response to a classroom assignment, which was supposed to mimic an author from the 1700s.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
 WTF?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]

The controversy started earlier this month when a student’s satirical
essay—said as a response to racism would be to send African-Americans
to the Sahara to be killed.

That was the student’s response to a classroom assignment, which was supposed to mimic an author from the 1700s.

View Quote

This helps

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This helps

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The controversy started earlier this month when a student’s satirical essay—said as a response to racism would be to send African-Americans to the Sahara to be killed.

This helps

It does?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
An author from the 1700s? Let me guess; Jonathan Swift.

If I recall correctly not everyone got his satire in his time either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I got 10 bucks that says the racial slur on the bathroom wall was a false flag operation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me guess...

Assignment: Write a paper with your own Modest Proposal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Any word on the race of the kid who wrote the essay?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
^ I Put in my letter of resignation and will no longer be a teacher in June.

To enter this career field nowadays as a white male is madness. It will only get worse.

Too bad losing control of education to leftist ideologues is what got us into this mess.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel butthurt already
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This helps
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This helps

18th century thinking clashes with 21st century. A+
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]
What. The. Fuck. Is SATIRE?!!?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To enter this career field nowadays as a white male is madness. It will only get worse.

Too bad losing control of education to leftist ideologues is what got us into this mess.
View Quote

If you give ground to the enemy and leave the fight, that makes the problem worse.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

An author from the 1700s? Let me guess; Jonathan Swift.

If I recall correctly not everyone got his satire in his time either.
View Quote

It is that delectable sort of style that is indistinguishable from the authentic thing. In modern terms, he is an epic troll, in the style of Swift, or Voltaire.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
que Morgan Freeman?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It does?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This helps

It does?

I see that you live in Maryland.  If you came from the same education system as these students, i can understand your confusion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm guessing this:

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Troll level = epic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Harrison Bergeron
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Gotta hold on to that power that's been building, at all costs.

In a statement, the school system said, “The difficult but honest conversations underway at North County High School will not produce instant satisfaction. This is an ongoing process, which will require the dedicated effort of students, parents, staff and community members to produce lasting positive results.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
It will only get worse.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got 10 bucks that says the racial slur on the bathroom wall was a false flag operation.
View Quote

Or students are tired of whiny crybabies hosting a meeting and making a big deal over fucking nothing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 WTF?
View Quote

I had to read that article twice to understand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm so glad I no longer have a child in school.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I love how the school system is "still investigating" the word that was put in the bathroom.  They must have crime scene tape, CSI people all over the place getting samples.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Can't we just have an open dialogue about race in this country?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 WTF?

When the media is too afraid to even publish the wording of the assignment, you know it's all about power of the minority.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd rather read the fucking essay than this retarded ass article about the drama surrounding it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Were you never a highschool boy with a sharpie?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#30]
No person should be allowed succeed, because it makes the losers feel bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If you give ground to the enemy and leave the fight, that makes the problem worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's futile. I was outnumbered behind enemy lines. The kids want free shit and the liberal teachers made my life miserable. It wasn't worth the stress or pay.

Kinda like living in NY, CA, or NJ. It was time to move on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Is "a classroom assignment, which was supposed to mimic an author from the 1700s" supposed to mean "anyone from the 1700's" or "a satire like Swift's"?

Reporters fucking suck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have.  The consensus reached is "die, cracker".
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Later in the week, students at North County reported that a derogatory word for African-Americans was written in a bathroom.
View Quote

My God.  The humanity.   How are these poor kids ever going to survive this ordeal?  Can you imagine a world where a word gets written on a bathroom stall?   What could possibly be next?   An entire sub-genre of popular music that uses this word with great regularity?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My God.  The humanity.   How are these poor kids ever going to survive this ordeal?  Can you imagine a world where a word gets written on a bathroom stall?   What could possibly be next?   An entire sub-genre of popular music that uses this word with great regularity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Later in the week, students at North County reported that a derogatory word for African-Americans was written in a bathroom.

African-American will be considered a derogatory word for African-Americans if it is uttered by a white person. Just give it time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#36]
These people are so fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

African-American will be considered a derogatory word for African-Americans if it is uttered by a white person. Just give it time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like the N word ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

its Baltimore, never expect anything better
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not Baltimore - Anne Arundel County, near BWI.

Horribly written article - this one's a little better.

At least 2 sides to this story.  Yes, it was written as satire and may have addressed the assignment.  However, it also probably straddled the line to offensive.  If that's all it was - who cares?  But it wasn't just sent in as an assignment - it was shared on social media.  So as long as the student was trying to get people talking, that part worked.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is "a classroom assignment, which was supposed to mimic an author from the 1700s" supposed to mean "anyone from the 1700's" or "a satire like Swift's"?

Reporters fucking suck.
View Quote

Well, when you have to report on people going nuts over something like this, it stands to reason you gotta write in a manner no other thinking person will understand either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's futile. I was outnumbered behind enemy lines. The kids want free shit and the liberal teachers made my life miserable. It wasn't worth the stress or pay.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame you.
To hell with them, let them wallow in their own shit alone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I love how the school system is "still investigating" the word that was put in the bathroom.  They must have crime scene tape, CSI people all over the place getting samples.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Every day I wake up hoping that a horrible disaster has occurred that causes electricity to be gone for at least a year. All these stupid whiny fags will be dead and we can start over. Fuck this shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#45]
This one says it all, right here.

Other attendees told Dyson that he's dismissing the perspective and emotions of the students.
View Quote

So this guy, who's Black and attending an all Black gripe session, takes up for the author and laughs at their stupidity, is told he's not supposed to look at this logically, but emotionally.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL.....Arundel County.....The white guilt capital of MD.....I gotta go with no shits given.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is NO such thing as an African American!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Dang. When I was in school the stalls just had writings on who's sister gave the best blowjobs. I don't know how kids these days survive with all these hate words being bandied about.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Riots in the Burbs coming ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top