Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 11:12:23 AM EDT
Thinking of picking up a Ridgid flashlight that fits the same batteries as my saw, and drill for the house.
Just wonder if they are usually junk.
Almost all cordless makers have them, but I'm wondering if I would be better off with something else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking of picking up a Ridgid flashlight that fits the same batteries as my saw, and drill for the house.
Almost all cordless makers have them, but I'm wondering if I would be better off with something else.
View Quote

They make light and work with batteries you already have.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would they be junk, or any more "junky" than the tools you already have and presumably enjoy?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
My Milwaukee M12 LED work light is awesome.  Might get a second one if I can find another one on sale.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
nm.  Answered.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The one that came with my Ryobi set is pretty worthless.  The drill, circular saw and sawz-all are great, but the only thing I use the light for is discharging batteries.  I'd rather use a LED headlamp or a nice, bright corded worklight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't speak for Ridgid but the DeWalt lights work fine.  They're bright enough to use as a tent light.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Milwaukee M12 LED work light is awesome.  Might get a second one if I can find another one on sale.
View Quote

The one for the m18 is pretty awesome as well.

Great for working under a car
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]
My snap on one is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The one that came with my Ryobi set is pretty worthless.  The drill, circular saw and sawz-all are great, but the only thing I use the light for is discharging batteries.  I'd rather use a LED headlamp or a nice, bright corded worklight.
View Quote

Yeah, if you mean the 18V One+ Lithium Ion kit (the green stuff) the light is pretty mediocre.  It's not horrible but a headlamp or proper light is better.

The 2,800 lumen spotlight is pretty awesome.  I got it for $29 or something on sale.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Xenon-Hi-Beam-Spotlight-Tool-Only-P716/202486523

The dual power LED worklight looks awesome too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Dual-Power-20-Watt-LED-Work-Light-Tool-Only-P720/205673849

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
MIne suck.  But they are older and still use incandescent bulbs.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by new LED tech.

ETA: The old blue/yellow Ryobi.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#11]
The Milwaukee led m12 and m18 lights are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Milwaukee 18v one.  here is my theory on it, I use it sometimes because it came with my package deal I got that had the drill, sawzall and circular saw.  I wouldn't buy one just to have one.  but it came with the kit so I use it
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]
i use my huge ridgid all the time. never have to worrry about a battery
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#14]
No, they come in very handy and stand up on their own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]
It's the one thing I thought I'd never use that I use all the time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flashlights are like PC processors were in the mid 90s.  Improved ones are coming out every month.

I have the Skil light that I bought with the bundle.  It works fine, but I had to replace the bulb after not much use and this was about 10+ years back.  We don't have that problem with LEDs and their 50,000 hour lifespan, now.

I'm a flashlight geek, so I think that you'd be better served with a modern light, good batteries/cells and a decent charger, but I understand wanting to buy the Rigid.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]
My Makita light was a total POS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty meh, but works where you can't plug in a headlamp.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can confirm, is awesome. If you are talking about the hex shaped lantern looking thing with the LED panel on the side.

It will light up a room or small closet pretty well. I can get a full day of light on 2-3 batteries.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, if you mean the 18V One+ Lithium Ion kit (the green stuff) the light is pretty mediocre.  It's not horrible but a headlamp or proper light is better.

The 2,800 lumen spotlight is pretty awesome.  I got it for $29 or something on sale.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Xenon-Hi-Beam-Spotlight-Tool-Only-P716/202486523

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Dual-Power-20-Watt-LED-Work-Light-Tool-Only-P720/205673849

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those look pretty decent- I have the blue/yellow generation like sdailey5 mentioned.  The light is basically an articulated incandescent, so you get all of the poor lighting of a Gen 1 Maglite with a crummy form factor.  I could see using something like that if I upgraded.  (Especially since my work light puts out a lot of heat.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Just picked up a Ridged to fit my batteries for $20 at HD.
It works like a flashlight I guess.
Nothing special, but better than the shit flashlights I have that need $5 worth of batteries.
I may actually use those Ridgid batteries that came with tools that I used twice in the last three years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
My Milwaukee light sucks harder than a $2000 Rainbow.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can't speak for Ridgid but the DeWalt lights work fine.  They're bright enough to use as a tent light.
View Quote

This. I like it just cause it fits the same battery. If I need a real light I get my headlamp out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I just get cheap Surefires that run on CR123s like my weaponlights.

I keep them in my toolboxes, trucks, and stashed around the house.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#25]
The one that came with my cordless drill has a swivel head. I can't count the number of times that being about to turn the head and get the light pointed where I needed it and not have to hold it has been a God send. I mean it's no surefire light up the room from 3 houses over but its still useable light that doesn't blind you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My snap on one is awesome.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#27]
My Dewalt comes in handy every now and then.  

It sits on my work bench as I like headlamps better however it comes in handy when I have a low battery and I want to zap the last bit of juice out of it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My Makita light was a total POS.
View Quote

I have 3 Makita lights that work with my LXT batteries.   I like them all.  The only one that is even kind of annoying is the BML185 and I like using it when I don't need the in-your-face brightness of the other two.  It is also useful to add a more natural color to the light I'm using because of the very "white" nature of the LEDs and fluorescents of the other two.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#29]
My 2008 era DeWalt CFL bulb (I think) 18v battery pack light is my go-to for mechanic work.  Better illumination that LED, cooler than halogen, and no cords to trip over.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#30]
The little m12 led flashlight is decent though I would prob get the m18. It is kinda hard to tailstand the m12 and thats how i use it mostly.  It came free with something or another. It would be cool to mod it if possible for different modes. Its allso really big for the amount of light it puts out but it has to fit the batteries

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#31]
M12 stick light has paid for itsel .
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I have one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Dual-Power-20-Watt-LED-Work-Light-Tool-Only-P720/205673849?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cG%7cBase%7cPLA%7cD25T%7cPowerTools&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrte4BRD-oYi3y5_AhZ4BEiQAzIFxn7OPBDs_7b82S9yZknJzkdYyLn_heAqr6qEq9giDTLoaAtU_8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Consider something similar for whatever system you use. Paid for itself after like two DIY jobs. They go faster when you can see what you're doing.

Its like a portable sun. I have a proper flashlight with the old incandescent bulb that I'm going to replace with an LED.

Same battery as my other tools. Just pull a few batteries off the charger and slap it in whatever I need. Ryobi isn't the best, but I'm wedded to the system, had these tools for over a decade.

Of course all this is backed up with the tactical-style flashlight that lives next to my pocketknife and my spare magazine for spot work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a couple dewalt ones, good stuff to have. rechargeable battery you already have, lasts a long time with the double batteries, and I've dropped it a few times, so far so good.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I love my Milwaukee M18 LED work light with a swivel head.   Very very handy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Dual-Power-20-Watt-LED-Work-Light-Tool-Only-P720/205673849?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cG%7cBase%7cPLA%7cD25T%7cPowerTools&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrte4BRD-oYi3y5_AhZ4BEiQAzIFxn7OPBDs_7b82S9yZknJzkdYyLn_heAqr6qEq9giDTLoaAtU_8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Consider something similar for whatever system you use. Paid for itself after like two DIY jobs. They go faster when you can see what you're doing.

Its like a portable sun. I have a proper flashlight with the old incandescent bulb that I'm going to replace with an LED.

Same battery as my other tools. Just pull a few batteries off the charger and slap it in whatever I need. Ryobi isn't the best, but I'm wedded to the system, had these tools for over a decade.

Of course all this is backed up with the tactical-style flashlight that lives next to my pocketknife and my spare magazine for spot work.
View Quote

I linked to that one above.  I have the 2,800 lumen floodlight and it's awesome but I want that 20 watt dual power light.  It looks amazing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#37]
My Dewalt lights are decent . I got them cheap. I would rather have dedicated lights for the money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top