Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 10:52:07 AM EDT
So, either a downrange photography problem, of uncontrolled range problem?

Photographer killed in Alaska

can't believe it's not a dupe, but didn't find anything
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeager doing classes in Alaska?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
For fuck sakes... Darwin took the easy road
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Has Tactical Response been up there recently?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Smile and wait for the flash . . . .
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Investigations revealed that Malaby had been attempting to take photos or video of other people shooting guns and stepped in the line of fire. He was struck by a bullet from a .40 caliber pistol.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, maybe the 40 isn't completely useless...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Must have been fairly close with trajectory and all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if he got any interesting shots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure, just step in front on someone shooting down range.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sure, just step in front on someone shooting down range.
View Quote

Bet he doesn't do that again.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmm, maybe the 40 isn't completely useless...
View Quote

Haters gonna hate
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Should have used a drone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post knocks it out of the park.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#18]
His last decision was a poor one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF?  If it was pistols, that means the shooters definitely knew photographer was there  - why did they continue to shoot if he was down range?  

And holy shit, standing downrange?  Seriously?  Lotta WTF and piss poor decisions were made that day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#20]
So photograph, much tactical
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
RIP
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I obviously don't know any specifics, but I'm having a hard time imagining a situation where I would blame the photographer more than the shooter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
RIP jeep owner

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably not an actual range but a giant mound of dirt that's safe to shoot into until you act like an idiot like he did. I haven't been to Sutton maybe another Alaskan will correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He died doing what he loved.
View Quote

He must loved being stupid
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
His last decision was a poor one.
View Quote

Isn't it funny how often that's the case?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#28]
To the best of my understanding that area is kind of out there and isn't likely to be a formal range.  

So it could have been a mixed line pistols/ rifles.  Worst case it was just a natural berm a bunch of guys were shooting into.

Either way it was an ate up situation that I'm not all that surprised about.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
WTF?  If it was pistols, that means the shooters definitely knew photographer was there  - why did they continue to shoot if he was down range?  

And holy shit, standing downrange?  Seriously?  Lotta WTF and piss poor decisions were made that day.
View Quote

He must have been located pretty close to targets to get shot.

There must be more details forthcoming.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Tactical Response class?

ETA, first post beat me like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess you're not familiar with all of the Yeager/Tactical Response jokes flying around in this thread.

Yeager's classes allow photographers to go down range & stand by targets to take pictures of people while they're shooting.

They let photographers take pictures down range because tripods were getting shot up too much.

And if you point out that the practice is stupid you get shouted down with "big boy rules" tough guy talk.

I'd imagine that the photographer in this story has heard about Tactical Response's practice & thought it must be safe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Not proffessional enough
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I guess you're not familiar with all of the Yeager/Tactical Response jokes flying around in this thread.

Yeager's classes allow photographers to go down range & stand by targets to take pictures of people while they're shooting.

They let photographers take pictures down range because tripods were getting shot up too much.

And if you point out that the practice is stupid you get shouted down with "big boy rules" tough guy talk.

I'd imagine that the photographer in this story has heard about Tactical Response's practice & thought it must be safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all for calling out Yeager/Tactical Response for being fools....but saying this photographer though being downrange was safe due to Yeager is a huge stretch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snort.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Isn't Mat-Su Tactical over that way?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Probably not an actual range but a giant mound of dirt that's safe to shoot into until you act like an idiot like he did. I haven't been to Sutton maybe another Alaskan will correct me if I'm wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot out there, not a range, depending exactly where he was shot at, it is either a flat lot facing a hillside or flat ground facing some small berms....Locals use the area to party in as well... The boy was out there shooting his new Rem in 300 RUM back in a corner away from everyone, running a ladder at 300 yards  when some idiot drove right up to the targets in his beater car, jumped out and grabbed the fresh targets....guy jumps back in his car starts to pull a u-turn and figures out the boy and his buddies were using said targets..so he stops jumps back out of his vehicle and trys to rehang the targets before piling back into his car and hauling ass out of the area...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#40]
My guess is gun guy was fixated on his target and camera guy was looking through his lens.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were concerned about the camera tripods getting shot up, so they let the photographers stand there instead?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

They were concerned about the camera tripods getting shot up, so they let the photographers stand there instead?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

#TLM

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jonesville mine is a large open recreation area where you can shoot in many, many places--safely.  I shot there probably 3 hours after this happened, unawares.  Last time there was a range death in a place like this, they shut the whole thing down to target shooting.  That was a huge loss to me because it was close to my house.  Jonesville in Sutton is my replacement.  Camping, wheeling, shooting, tannerite....

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Isn't Mat-Su Tactical over that way?
View Quote

Another 10 miles out, about.  Alaska Tactical is around too, but not there.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've shot out there, not a range, depending exactly where he was shot at, it is either a flat lot facing a hillside or flat ground facing some small berms....Locals use the area to party in as well... The boy was out there shooting his new Rem in 300 RUM back in a corner away from everyone, running a ladder at 300 yards  when some idiot drove right up to the targets in his beater car, jumped out and grabbed the fresh targets....guy jumps back in his car starts to pull a u-turn and figures out the boy and his buddies were using said targets..so he stops jumps back out of his vehicle and trys to rehang the targets before piling back into his car and hauling ass out of the area...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to some where I work someone has made it into a real range now.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I still bet it was mixed so someone was probably firing his new gat at the "range".  His buddy decides to get some sweet action shots in front of the firing line.  Someone's break startles him or he falls getting into position and comes right into line as someone is squeezing off rounds on their glock fortay.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The news portrayed it as a combat vet with down range time who stepped in front of a guy who was shooting unexpectedly. I can sorta picture a guy with a camera stepping close for a step, refocusing, guy shooting in another lane and stepping forward again. news said single shot to torso,
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#47]

This is something that I worry about a lot when shooting shooters.  

Head on a swivel big time, and look before you move.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Compartmentalized attention on the part of both the shooter and photographer, most likely.

This is why even if you are target shooting in an open field with more than one person, you need something physical to represent a firing line so that nobody inadvertently steps too far back or forward placing someone in danger of facing a muzzle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top