Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2003 8:09:18 PM EDT
NEW MEXICO TECH - New Mexico Tech police are searching for a man who is accused of pummeling a student in his dorm room last Saturday, two days after the student joined friends in burning an American flag on campus.

Campus police also are investigating the conduct of two officers because the sophmore Matthew Cone-claimed they harassed him following the May Day flag burning.

"I was shocked, to be frank, about how powerful the hate towards us was, once we had burned the flag," Cone said, referring to his alleged assailant. "I really didn't feel it was that big of a deal. But when somebody comes to your room, it basically felt to me like they were out to lynch the guys who burned the flag. It just seems like there's a lot of hate out there."

Cone said in an interview this week that at about 8:25 p.m. last Saturday, two young men arrived at Cone's dormitory room and asked him and his roommate if they were "the guys who burned the flag."

Cone said that while one man stood outside the door, the other struck Cone's roommate and punched Cone two or three times before leaving.

Cone alleges that police harassed him the next day. Cone was stopped twice during walks on campus by police who asked for his identification each time.

One of the officers, in an incident report, acknowledged stating: "You guys think you are cute, don't you?" He asked the students where they obtained the flag because at least three American flags had been stolen from the campus.

The boys' alleged assailant has not been identified, campus officials said.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It just seems like there's a lot of hate out there."
View Quote

famous last words from a commie bastard
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Actions have consequences.

Welcome to the real world.  Hope you enjoy your visit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
[nana]

someone give me a kleenex
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There should be some kind of award to give out to someone who pops a flag burner.[:(!]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It does my heart good to know that these stupid fucks learned something at school.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn they didn't even put him in the hospital.
The nice Patriotic American Students need a lesson in administering an ASS WHOOPING.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
OUTFU*KINGSTANDING!!!  Good to know that there is still some good kids out there.  Flag burning may be legal, but it is still wrong if you consider yourself a patriot.  Too be honest, I think it is one of the worst things an American can do.  That and Treason are in the same family as far as I'm concerned.  Little fu*ker got what he deserved and I hope they never catch the asskicker.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Now there's a cause worth supoorting!!!

Who's gonna start the "give an AR to commie beater" fund?

Count me in!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You know it's a free country and If you want to burn our flag you can do that,and if I want to whoop your fucking ass for burning my flag I can do that too.

[size=6][red]This is America!
Love it or get the fuck out![/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Too bad they didn't cut off his lighter finger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I think he should have some French cheese with that whine.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Well done!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#13]
they got what was commin to them.  i am not sorry for them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn they didn't even put him in the hospital.
The nice Patriotic American Students need a lesson in administering an ASS WHOOPING.[:D]
View Quote

Naw, they left it at a campus incident and the campus police don't seem very motivated to find these guys. Hospitalization would have brought in lawyers and police, and the whole thing would have backfired on them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#15]
link?

cool article I want to send it to some hippeys.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
link?

cool article I want to send it to some hippeys.

View Quote

I borrowed it from here'
[url]http://www.texasminutemen.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=005820[/url]

And here's the kids web page (goofy fucker)
[url]http://www.nmt.edu/~mcone/main/about.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://www.nmt.edu/~mcone/main/copwatch.gif[/img]
I'm sure this won him lots of love from the cops.

On second thought, let's beat the shit out of him. I'm sure the cops'll look the other way once I show them this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://pt.zkiller.de/uploads/music-smiley-019.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Well what the hell did the boy expect?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
his E-mail: [email protected]

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Just check out the link, he looks like a dipshit. It says he's an anarchist too! I hate those people, do they have no mind whatsoever? How can you have a political view that is, by definition, no politics? If they think anarchy is so great, take a vacation to, well, most of equatorial Africa. I'd like to see how much they like REAL anarchy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]
This kid NEEDs schooling.
 Lets see, he burns in protest a symbol that hundreds of thousands of Americans have Died for.  Then whines  cause he got a few bumbs and bruses for his symbol.

He ought to kiss his lucky ass that's all he got!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out his articles

http://www.nmt.edu/~mcone/main/articles.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
On many campuses, you can get disciplined for acting in a way to incite others - a typical example is "fightin' words", like calling someone a "wetback", or whatever.

If you burned a cross, or trashed a Star of David, you would find yourself in a heap of shit.

So I'm hoping that the authorities find a way to kick his ass out of school, and I hope he has a number of beatings ahead of him.

Hopefully they will put investigating him on a higher priority than finding the guy who gave him a sample of what he's in store for.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11825[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Check out his articles

http://www.nmt.edu/~mcone/main/articles.html
View Quote

Ok, I read some of his articles.... I am now officially pissed off. I would like to bring this guy to an Arfcommer get together, not to pummel him (as nice as that would be) but to try to make him realize just how stupid he is.

We have to try to educate these idiots, we can't kill them all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd say the Patriots have been pretty patient.  However, how many times will you let somebody slap you before you strike back?  This kid found out.

These liberal-indoctrinated, empty-headed people scream and cry about how "offensive" is is to display the Confederate flag and take extreme measures to try and ban it.  However, incidents such as burning the US flag and expecting those who love it to stand back in "tolerance" exposes their hypocrisy.

Some anti-war sheeple at the College of Charleston staged a protest.  Part of it included an American flag splashed with fake blood thrown on the ground with a student laying on it pretending to be dead.  When I saw this on the news I couldn't understand why nobody tried to take the flag from this scene of desecration and give it a decent burial.

This radical liberalism and abandonment of traditional standards of decency are sickening.  Try reading Robert Bork's "Slouching Towards Gomorrah."  We are going to have to take an active role in preserving what is good in our society- it's too important a job to leave to the government.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like a couple of million dollars law suit against the school to me... Kid will be set for life. Prolly start his own (Peace Institute"!).
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Those kids that did the Ass Whipping  as you call it should be charged with assault.

Burning the flag is protected under freedom of speech. People have no right to kick his ass for exercising his right.

You cannot pick and choose the amendments you like and trash the others.
You people are a bunch of hypocrites!!

The Supreme Court justices have determined that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because some people find it offensive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#34]
at least he has a cute sister:

[img]http://www.nmt.edu/~mcone/pictures/pond.jpg[/img]  

[b]ATTN: check the hometown forum, NM members[/b]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Forget the "protected speech" of burning the flag (offensive though it is). These turds sound like a couple of theft suspects to me, what with all of the missing flags on campus. I hope the Campus Police continue to "harass" them until they can be charged.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#37]
The act of burning a flag did not result in an ASS WHOOPING to those offended. However to give someone an ASS WHOOPING for expressing their opinion that offends you (protected or not) is wrong. The better and correct man would have smiled and walked away. (not sure that I could have)

Yelling FIRE in a crowded room can result in serious injury to the occupants (stampede/panic) that is why its not protected.

Weather or not you like or dislike what he did, it must be recognized as freedom of speech and that is what we are all about.

What if gun owners got an ass whooping for owning guns? What if some of those same people that you mentioned that died for their country don't like the fact that you as a civilian own guns and thought you should get an ass whooping? We must protect all rights not just the ones we like.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Forget the "protected speech" of burning the flag (offensive though it is). These turds sound like a couple of theft suspects to me, what with all of the missing flags on campus. I hope the Campus Police continue to "harass" them until they can be charged.
View Quote

Guilty huh? We know where you stand!!
Never mind proof or evidence, STRING`EM UP!!
Harass them without proof until you find proof? [b]Is that the way your kind operates?[/b]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#40]
ED
I think you are Waayy out on a limb with those first two questions and you already know the correct and government determined answers.

As to the third. In due time we will find that those laws were made in error.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#41]
RipMeyer the govt. has said that burning our flag is protected under the 1st,I didn't agree to it and if they said I have to give up my guns I wouldn't agree to that either.
I follow a moral code which supercedes the law (for me) ,thats not right according to most people but for the most part my code of ethics is higher then the law of the land.  
Now it's also protected speech for you to call my wife a dirty name in a public place but it will earn you a trip to the emergency roon, Thats not legal on my part either but it wouldn't stop most men.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Rip has a point that we all know to be true, but hearing about the kid getting his "education" is something that everyone can enjoy. There is the noble cause/higher good vs justice served/get what you deserved issue here that everyone can recognize.

This tragedy/comedy might actually make the kid live longer since he's gonna realize that one day he will be out in the real world, and it's not like college at all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Guilty huh? We know where you stand!!
Never mind proof or evidence, STRING`EM UP!!
Harass them without proof until you find proof? [b]Is that the way your kind operates?[/b]
View Quote

Absolutely not. There was a little sarcasm there.

If they are suspects in a criminal act, though, they may get a little "extra" attention. Don't want to be in the spotlight? Don't act stupid. Frequently, criminals engage in conduct that focuses police attention on themselves (like burning flags when flags are being stolen, getting beat up and then making a fuss about the whole affair in the media), and then whine about the subsequent "harassment" from LE when local officials take notice of the new blips on their collective radar.

Wanna bet that these yahoos get popped for something (like dope or other "lifestyle" issues) in the next few weeks?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Burning THE flag will no doubt bring out some very strong feelings. Anyone who does this has got to realize they risk offending someone. Giving someone an ass whoopin for burning the flag is as much free speech as burning the flag itself is. Granted it would also be assault, but freedom of expression none the less.
I suppose that when so&so team loses the championship game, the people that riot in the streets are participating in a protected form of free speech too, huh? After all, they're expressing their displeasure.
I say the kid was guilty of disorderly conduct and inciting to riot.
I think this kid was lookin for attention, and he knew it would cause a stir, he just overplayed his hand. A good lesson for a student to learn. I just hope it sunk in.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Rip is absolutely correct in that the kids who burned the flag were not breaking any law.  He is also correct in saying that whoever hit them is guilty of assault and has broken the law.
That said, I'd have done the same thing were I a dumb, irresponsible college kid with little to lose...the law is the law, but many times what is legal has very little to do with what's right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#46]
In general, I am against violence as an expression of opinion or solution to a problem.  In my world, violence is only used in response to violence (I ain't turning the other cheek).

But somehow, this story brought a smile to my face.  What can I say?  I guess I'm not as civilized as I'd like to think.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Rip,

If these kids had actually been injured I would agree with you.  They DO have the right to protest and in some instances (I doubt theirs) it is a form of protest.

The guy(s) who smacked the kids around was also expressing an opinion.  If he was willing to accept the possible misdemeanor assault charge as consequences for his actions then so be it.  He was protesting disrespect for a symbol that meant something to him.

If the whoopin had gone to the point where serious injury resulted, I'd be all over the guy who did it as out of line.  But a  few smacks  are a wake up call - not a serious assault.  (I didn't read the article carefully - I  am assuming neither kid needed stiches or medical care)

But, we are free to disagree.  This is America.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It does my heart good to know that these stupid fucks learned something at school.
View Quote

AMEN BROTHA
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Too bad they didn't burn the flag here in AZ.

It's not free speech here:
It's a ticket (no pun intended) to jail.

Then, he and his buddies could talk to the news media about how they got their asses kicked by their cell dorm mates.

Jay

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Sure Rip, ok I wil grant you that burning the flag is a form of free speech, BUT

The ass kicking they got is also the result of their actions, as far as I am concerned, they got what they deserved.

Free speech comes with responability, just as the Right to Keep and Bear Arms....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top