Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 1:09:05 AM EDT
I'm looking for a lockable storage trunk to store some of my rifles/shotguns/ammo. I currently live in an apartment and am moving soon so I don't want to invest in a safe yet, trying to keep this reasonable ($200 or less).

I'm looking for a trunk that could store like 8 rifles and some other things that I can lock. Main purpose is an extra deterrent against thieves.

I'm looking to get into a security/safe debate here, just looking for opinions on a quality lockable storage trunk for my rifles that won't break the bank.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Jobox?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jobox?
View Quote

They seem to be more around the $450-$600 range.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jobox?

You should be able to find one on craigslist for about half that. That's just the first thing I thought of after reading your post
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]

I have one if those.  I can't fit any of my rifles into it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That sucks then
What did you pay for yours?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That sucks then
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks then

I don't remember.  I bought it years ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Stanley Tuff Box (50gal Mobile Tool Box) I got from the Army and it currently holds all my firearms while they're in storage. It's good and heavy duty, has wheels and currently holds some M4s, AR10, AK, Shotgun, handguns with room to spare

My rifles are broken down or folded to fit though
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]

It doesnt necessarily have to be metal, it could be a tough plastic
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a lockable storage trunk to store some of my rifles/shotguns/ammo. I currently live in an apartment and am moving soon so I don't want to invest in a safe yet, trying to keep this reasonable ($200 or less).

I'm looking for a trunk that could store like 8 rifles and some other things that I can lock. Main purpose is an extra deterrent against thieves.

I'm looking to get into a security/safe debate here, just looking for opinions on a quality lockable storage trunk for my rifles that won't break the bank.

Thanks
View Quote

So a box to guard against thieves, who steal shit?
As others have said - jobsite storage box, or perhaps a Pelican of your choosing.

Don't be surprised if a would be thief simply takes the whole thing OP.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like, in your situation, you might actually want to look into a way to hide your rifles. They won't get stolen if thieves don't know they are there.

ETA: It just can't be an obvious common hiding spot, they know those.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As others have said - jobsite storage box, or perhaps a Pelican of your choosing.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

A.W.D.

More of an extra deterrent. Right now they just sit underneath my bed so nothing is stopping a thief who breaks in from taking them as is. I figured if I could put them in a locked trunk that I could cable to a bed-frame it would take a decent amount more of effort to steal them. And they would be locked away from kids (even though they are obviously unloaded).

I'm well aware if thieves want something bad enough they can get it. I also didn't want something that screamed guns i.e. a stack-on gun cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jobox?

Home Depot has one for around $250

ETA:

Found It!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

ICC has a safari case that will handle 3 but not in your price range.

Overstock.com has steamer trunks but the hasps aren't generally heavy duty.

Looks like steamer trunks these days are antiques or decorative only. We have a couple of the real deals we use to swap out seasonal clothes.

Yeah, I'd go with the job box option. Secure, but not very mobile once you load it up. I have one filled with ammo and I'd need a pallet jack to move it.. It won't fit under a bed. In fact, you might check the dimensions and make sure you can fit it thru the apartment doors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Stack On has locking cabinets that cost like $150 that can hold quite a few long guns. They also have a basic 12 or 14  combo or keypad gun safe(that fits like 8 or 9 guns) for $3-400.. Sentry makes some as well. Pretty easy to find used on craigslist.

They won't protect from fire or stop someone actually trying to break into it with tools but they will stop your smash and grab or opportunity thieves.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stack On has locking cabinets that cost like $150 that can hold quite a few long guns. They also have a basic 12 or 14  combo or keypad gun safe(that fits like 8 or 9 guns) for $3-400.. Sentry makes some as well. Pretty easy to find used on craigslist.

They won't protect from fire or stop someone actually trying to break into it with tools but they will stop your smash and grab or opportunity thieves.
View Quote

Looking for something less obvious that fits underneath a raised bed preferably
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top