Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 8:39:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
playstaton vue.

just cancled my cable today and am sticking with vue. $29.00 a month for more channels then I was getting with comcast at $89. its the basic pack and its all the channels I need or want.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you plan to do with kodi?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
playstaton vue.

just cancled my cable today and am sticking with vue. $29.00 a month for more channels then I was getting with comcast at $89. its the basic pack and its all the channels I need or want.

View Quote

Interesting.  I haven't heard of this before.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't really know what it is.  People are telling me to get it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful, and remember, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. You can get virtually any channel for absolutely free on there. Movies as well, even ones that are new in theaters. KODI is not illegal, think of it as a web browser. The program itself isn't illegal. What you do with it though is up to you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have it...watched all new movies....lots of different channels....daughter pays for it...fire stick
is the bomb...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The standard Fire TV is much faster than the stick.  It was on sale recently for $85.

Kodi can be sideloaded without having to root (jailbreak is an Apple term, because they are different and all).  Kodi by itself doesn't do a whole lot.  You'll want to go out searching for some tvaddons if you want to go any further with it.

If you aren't comfortable with doing some searching, then installing the stuff may not be much fun for you.  Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu will cover the vast majority of TV out there.  I've switched over to my antenna two or three times, only to see nothing but commercials and wonder why I did that.  Not sure with other providers, but with Time Warner if you still have cable internet, they can't shut off basic cable so you'll still have that, just don't tell them you want it so you don't have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]
just search kodi media boxes and read reviews,  then pick one.  There are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to install any addon/source you want and what's on it.  Around $125 plus 25 if you want an gyroscopic air mouse.   You just wave it around and the pointer follows.  Hooks up to your inet box and tv.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered a Matricom G2 box.  I've been putting if off for a year or so.  Need to replace my old Western digital box and this seems to be the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Be careful, and remember, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. You can get virtually any channel for absolutely free on there. Movies as well, even ones that are new in theaters. KODI is not illegal, think of it as a web browser. The program itself isn't illegal. What you do with it though is up to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I'd say just get an OTA and a Roku, that's all you need.  I advocate a Roku over a FireTV because when we first ditched satellite, I started with a FireTV, and maybe they were pretty new at the time or something, but that thing is constantly locking up, especially on Netflix, and has to be unplugged, left for a bit, then plugged back in.  Bought a Roku after a while, and now use that instead.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I understand it Kodi is in a grey area as "downloading" content is illegal but streaming isnt.  Don't have one but know a few that rave about it
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussions of Kodi and jailbroken amazon TVs must be had carefully on ARFCOM to avoid the ban hammer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my Fire TV stick that is loaded with KODI. It does pretty much everything I need. The only downside is that mine locks up about once a day and has to be power-cycled, just like the poster above said.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought $10 antennas for each of the tvs in the house.  They get a good assortment of channels(30 to 40).  And better quality picture than through cable.  The tvs all have Netflix and amazon apps on them so we use that too.  I am happy without cable and will probably never go back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep....just ditched $240 Uverse.

Installed a $40 outdoor antennae which picks up all Detroit channels, plus Toledo and Lansing.

Added a $40 Fire Stick for well.....you know.

Moved to a $50 Comcast 105Mb internet package.

Kept $8 Netflix and added $8 Hulu.

All in all, went from $240/month to $66/month.  The family didn't even bitch and they still watch all of their shows.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Those jail broken fire sticks are on the same level as downloading movie torrents, so I'm not sure how long this topic will last.  

When I was in NY last month my brother had one, bragged about it, but it seemed like the movies were slow to load, constantly buffering and low quality.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Never heard of Kodi.

Is it really that good?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Never heard of Kodi.

Is it really that good?
View Quote

I'd avoid a device/service that lets folks watch live pay per view events without paying.

That's just me though.

I also watched a few youtube bits of how to set it up---I prefer just plugging a Roku in and not worrying about having to search for shows and try out various links until I find one that works.  Easier to pay for Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime and just search and watch, knowing I ain't stealing content.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Never have paid for TV so can't comment on it from that angle.  Been using Kodi since it was on the original Xbox though.  I mainly use it for the actual media center functionality though; to stream our movies from the server.  Been through several devices including a 2nd gen Apple TV and a Raspberry Pi.  
The Fire TV is the best I've found for an all in one box for Kodi + Netflix + whatever other streaming services.  Performance is good.  The only problem is 1080i content from my HD Homerun tuner is a little jittery (has to do with deinterlacing on Android).

The addons for Kodi are OK if you're that cheap, but at this point in my life it's not really worth it to deal with the broken links, out of date addons, etc.  I've considered Sling TV, but honestly why add another bill just to enable sitting my ass in front of the TV even more.

I just put up a 110" antenna to try and pull in CBS that I couldn't pick up with a coat hanger .  Damn thing is still on VHF Low.  You can feed all of your TV's through one line, but if you're still using it for cable internet you won't be able to use that line.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Never heard of Kodi.

Is it really that good?

View Quote

No...it really isn't.  It's a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Streaming does not break copyright laws. Duplication or partial duplication does. If you aren't using P2P streaming you aren't breaking the law. However, the provider of the stream is breaking the law by uploading it to be streamed. It is up to you if you want to partake in the process.

As for the antenna, you may not even need one. If I just plug the coax from my house into my TV it picks up OTA channels just fine. I do have a simple $10 flat indoor antenna that works just as well. There is a website that will show you what channels you can get OTA in your zip code depending on the type of antenna you have with recommendations on antennas. Do a search for OTA antenna and I am sure you can find something.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Streaming does not break copyright laws. Duplication or partial duplication does. If you aren't using P2P streaming you aren't breaking the law. However, the provider of the stream is breaking the law by uploading it to be streamed. It is up to you if you want to partake in the process.

As for the antenna, you may not even need one. If I just plug the coax from my house into my TV it picks up OTA channels just fine. I do have a simple $10 flat indoor antenna that works just as well. There is a website that will show you what channels you can get OTA in your zip code depending on the type of antenna you have with recommendations on antennas. Do a search for OTA antenna and I am sure you can find something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a legal standpoint, sure, but from an ethical standpoint, if I am watching something that is for sale, that the creators want compensation for, and I am not paying for it, that is theft in my book, legal or no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never heard of Kodi.

Is it really that good?

If you're using it just for the questionable addons, then I'd somewhat agree.  If you're using it for it's main purpose then IMO it's still the best out there.  I have an Emby server (similar to Plex) set up in an Ubuntu VM that manages my media collection.  The Emby plugin on each of my Kodi devices then talks to it and maintains a local Kodi library on each device.  Plus I can VPN and watch my movies in a web browser from anywhere.  Kodi is still the best media center interface.  For a TV interface, Plex is pretty meh IMO.

Everybody seems to love the Roku's and I think their interface is pretty god awful too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#25]
If you do go the Kodi route, don't buy a prebuilt box. Those guys charge an arm and a leg for 30 minutes of easy how to videos on youtube.

Kodi itself is legal, some of the addons are in murky territory though as some of them stream copyrighted content.

I'd suggest going with a Fire TV over a Fire Stick as they have a bit more processing power and the video quality can be better.

Youtube how to put Kodi on a FireTV/Stick then start searching for popular Kodi add-ons then follow the tutorial on how to add the add-ons.

My first time setting up a box it took me about an hour. Now I can get one set up in 15 minutes.

*I use my Kodi boxes to stream movies I already own from my personal server to whatever TV I feel like at my place or my friend's places.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
just search kodi media boxes and read reviews,  then pick one.  There are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to install any addon/source you want and what's on it.  Around $125 plus 25 if you want an gyroscopic air mouse.   You just wave it around and the pointer follows.  Hooks up to your inet box and tv.
View Quote

I wouldn't do this. Addon developers are starting to discontinue their addons that have been popularized by youtubers and packaged box sellers. If you go spend $100+ on one of these there is a good chance that those apps will stop working and you will be left with no support.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

From a legal standpoint, sure, but from an ethical standpoint, if I am watching something that is for sale, that the creators want compensation for, and I am not paying for it, that is theft in my book, legal or no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence the "It is up to you if you want to partake in the process. "

PlayStation Vue and Sling TV are good straight from the source TV alternatives.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Just switched over from cable to Fire Tv/Stick combinations throughout the house. I use PlayStation Vue for most content but also Netflix and Amazon Prime TV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#29]
The best antenna money can buy....$40.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Outdoor-Yagi-Antenna/dp/B0024R4B5C

I run this with one line coming down and a splitter feeding 3 TV's. I get 22 channels. 10 are normal, the rest consist of weird, out of aspect ratio, old westerns, Judge Judy bullshit and some Mexican stuff.

I then run Kodi to stream any add-on's and to access my HTPC that plushes my torrent downloads.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I need to get away from my DirecTv. I don't even use it. But I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with it for a while longer due to contracts and junk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm back to highly considering either the   Lenovo ideacentre Stick 300 Computer or the Intel Compute Stick PC

Both are Windows 10 based and I could download Kodi or other programs.

Currently running Roku

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

playstaton vue.

Just looked into it.  It appears it is fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
playstaton vue.

It is. I was very happy when I found it would work for us as we watch quite a bit of the Blackhawks, Bears, Sox, and not so much of the Cubs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]
if you're paying $200.00 a month for just tv, you're doing it wrong.

If you're paying $200.00 for bundled service, you're doing it wrong.  Bundled is always more expensive.

If you are indeed paying $200.00 a month for just tv and aren't under contract, call and bitch.  Threaten to switch (or switch entirely to something better like DirecTV)  You will get a lower price.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The best antenna money can buy....$40.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Outdoor-Yagi-Antenna/dp/B0024R4B5C

I run this with one line coming down and a splitter feeding 3 TV's. I get 22 channels. 10 are normal, the rest consist of weird, out of aspect ratio, old westerns, Judge Judy bullshit and some Mexican stuff.

I then run Kodi to stream any add-on's and to access my HTPC that plushes my torrent downloads.
View Quote
These are fine if within 40 miles of the transmitter.

I have one good for 60-70 miles

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Fire Sticks with netflix and Hulu will reduce your bill by a ton..Mohu antennas for the local channels...Yeah, I tried Kodi and the addons and its OK but you will have to do a lot of digging and experimenting to find any given show.  Either way its still a lot better than $270 a month
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
playstaton vue.

View Quote

I am thinking of going this route
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#38]
There's nothing illegal about Kodi.  It's a home entertainment software.  You can stream all your personal media through it. There are tons of legal addons for it as well.  What you do and don't add to it app wise is entirely up to you but may not be supported by the developers of Kodi.  So you may not get any support from them if a non supported app screws up your system.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is. I was very happy when I found it would work for us as we watch quite a bit of the Blackhawks, Bears, Sox, and not so much of the Cubs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
playstaton vue.

Stupid question but do I have to use a Playstation to run it?

Edit: I see it can be run on other devices.  I am going to try this or sling tv.  What is going to happen for is that I'm under a data cap and now I'm going to have issues each month.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From techhive:  
Do I need a PlayStation console to use the service?

No, but if you don’t have a PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4, the only way to complete the sign-up process is through Amazon’s Fire TV or Fire TV Stick media streamers.

ETA:  http://www.techhive.com/article/3047812/data-center-cloud/playstation-vue-faq-everything-to-know-about-sony-s-cable-tv-alternative.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
/snip/
View Quote

Hum, that could be an issue.  I wonder if using a G box connected to Amazon's network through prime will suffice.  I'll have to dig.

Edit: well it looks like this won't work as the only android system that can be used is Amazon's.  On to sling tv.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hum, that could be an issue.  I wonder if using a G box connected to Amazon's network through prime will suffice.  I'll have to dig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/snip/

I looked around at Vue last night, but really it just seemed like a sort of "cable lite" like Sling TV.  One or two channels I might find neat to get, along with a bunch that do nothing for me, for a minimum of $30 a month.  That still ain't worth it to me---between Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, along with the OTA, we have far more to watch than we need already.  If a show on one of those networks comes on that is recommended to me, I can buy an episode on Amazon, and if we just gotta watch it, I can get a season pass there for a little less or a little more than one month of the cheapest Vue anyway.  I also note that per techhive, unless you have a PS3 or 4, in which case you can pause live TV for 30 minutes, you can only stop a show for a couple minutes.  Meaning you can't start watching, then pause, then fast forward through commercials with it.

Pass.

ETA:  Saw your edit---check out Sling by all means, but I bet you won't keep it past the free trial.  Not all of it is on demand, so some shows will mean you gotta run by the networks' clock(s) if you want to watch 'em, some shows will be blacked out because differences in license agreements between Dish as a sat service and Sling as their internet service, some stuff can be paused, a lot cannot.  $20 a month for, as I described Vue, "cable lite."  I know $240 a year doesn't sound like a lot, but for that amount you can buy 4-6 season passes of shows you like but can't get otherwise via Amazon, and still have money left over.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I looked around at Vue last night, but really it just seemed like a sort of "cable lite" like Sling TV.  One or two channels I might find neat to get, along with a bunch that do nothing for me, for a minimum of $30 a month.  That still ain't worth it to me---between Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, along with the OTA, we have far more to watch than we need already.  If a show on one of those networks comes on that is recommended to me, I can buy an episode on Amazon, and if we just gotta watch it, I can get a season pass there for a little less or a little more than one month of the cheapest Vue anyway.  I also note that per techhive, unless you have a PS3 or 4, in which case you can pause live TV for 30 minutes, you can only stop a show for a couple minutes.  Meaning you can't start watching, then pause, then fast forward through commercials with it.

Pass.

ETA:  Saw your edit---check out Sling by all means, but I bet you won't keep it past the free trial.  Not all of it is on demand, so some shows will mean you gotta run by the networks' clock(s) if you want to watch 'em, some shows will be blacked out because differences in license agreements between Dish as a sat service and Sling as their internet service, some stuff can be paused, a lot cannot.  $20 a month for, as I described Vue, "cable lite."  I know $240 a year doesn't sound like a lot, but for that amount you can buy 4-6 season passes of shows you like but can't get otherwise via Amazon, and still have money left over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
/snip/

Pass.

Good points.  The main thing that will kill me is not having ESPN for football(LSU mostly).  I'm in contract and paying $96 a month with Directv and the wife and I the other night were just sitting there and couldn't find a damn thing we wanted to watch.  As soon as my contract is up I'm going to call them and see if I can get it back down to $50 a month or so which I can live with.  B/c honestly I will not be able to exclusively stream because I blow through my datacap anyways as it is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good points.  The main thing that will kill me is not having ESPN for football(LSU mostly).  I'm in contract and paying $96 a month with Directv and the wife and I the other night were just sitting there and couldn't find a damn thing we wanted to watch.  As soon as my contract is up I'm going to call them and see if I can get it back down to $50 a month or so which I can live with.  B/c honestly I will not be able to exclusively stream because I blow through my datacap anyways as it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
/snip/

Pass.

That's the only thing that has bugged me about ditching cable/satellite, but in the mean time when I can I watch games at a nearby bar, and when I can't, well, I just read the highlights, and know that before too long the NCAA (and the pro sports folks, for that matter,) are going to wake up to the fact that their current business model is going to have to change with the times.

I mean, look at some of the pay channels.  HBO took the leap with HBO Now, offering their programming as a standalone without a cable/satellite package, and while I know they only have around 800,000 subscribers so far (only a year after launch, and 9 months after not being exclusive to AppleTV,) I know Showtime and Starz/Encore have followed suit, and I suspect more networks are going to start offering similar services.

ETA:  Heck, vanilla ol' *CBS* now offers a standalone on demand/streaming service.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Say you do everything legal like and ditch your TV. How can you DVR shows or content you legally pay for? Is there some type of stand alone unit? How do you schedule it? I really like the convince, hell the necessity of recording races that are shown in Europe and Asia in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Say you do everything legal like and ditch your TV. How can you DVR shows or content you legally pay for? Is there some type of stand alone unit? How do you schedule it? I really like the convince, hell the necessity of recording races that are shown in Europe and Asia in the middle of the night.
View Quote

If you ditch your TV I'm not sure what you would watch anything on.

But if you are just talking about ditching cable/satellite, you don't DVR anything---you stream from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/HBO Now/Showtime whatever they call it/etc.  You can get Tivo for OTA and use their DVR to record OTA stuff, which we tried, but it never really seemed worth it to me at $14 a month just to be able to record one or two shows that we used to watch that weren't on Hulu or Netflix.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are enough reruns on cable TV that you'll never actually miss a show.  Combine that with Hulu and Netflix and you'll be able to watch them over and over.

Of course, I can't imagine being so emotionally invested in TV programming that I would even record it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I just want to know how to watch the Texas Rangers play without MLBTV or cable
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks to this thread I'll be looking in to Playstation VUE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top