Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 6:24:53 PM EDT
What would happen if it did sunset?  Do you guys think prices would get cheaper?  Are any of you playing your luck and waiting to see what happens before shelling out another $1000?

Edited because I forgot my mothers day card link for all you mothers out there.[url]http://www.crappybobandnicbig.com[/url]

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
New York State has a carbon copy of the AWB on the books but it does NOT sunset, so I will not get to buy any currently banned guns until I move out of NYS.

I AM however holding off on buying lots of magazines, because I figure you guys in other states will be able to sell me your used full cap mags and then go buy yourselves some brand new mags.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm hoping I can pick up an M4gery top with an evil flash suppressor and an evil bayonet lug, along with an evil telesoping stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm holding off because I can't afford another gun right now.  Hopefully, the ban wont be renewed and I will be able to get a new AR with all the evil features.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Prices are already dropping. USGI 30 rd mags have gone from $30 to $20 herebouts in the last 3 years. I'm not bying anymore AR15s until the ban sunsets. Muzzle flash is so annoying.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
No change here. Pre-ban, post-ban, what's in a name??
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
No change. The money I spend is keeping dealers, and others in business. No harm there.

CH
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not planning to buy another rifle that is affected by the AW ban.  That doesn't mean I never will, it just means I have no plans to do so at this time.

When the ban sunsets, my post-bans will get their missing cool features right away.  I've already set up an appointment with my gunsmith for the day after the ban officially sunsets.  We've got two flash hiders and two bayonet lugs/sight towers to install on two separate AR's.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I am still buying postban stuff.

I live in CT and one of those places where it is legal to transfer a pre-ban (as long as it isn't on the list), but most FFLs won't deal with them.  As for feature stand point, I am miffed that the gov't won't let me have some cosmetic features, but the only one I really want to take advantage of is a folding/collapsible stock for my slight in stature girlfriend.

I will add one to my Bushmaster 9/04.

With that being said, I am sure a few more semi-auto, post ban rifles will show up just to piss off Fineswine and her ilk.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
No one should gripe about the money spent on flood insurance, if their house does not get damaged in a flood.  No one should gripe because they spent money on smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, just because their house did not catch on fire.  No one would begrudge the money spent for a spare tire if they never got a flat.

But who knows... what if worse comes to worse, hi cap mags become unobtainable, weapons suitable for homeland defense are not to be had...  would the money spent now not be well worth it?  

And if later the prices drop... so what?  Today you are buying freedom insurance.  

Perhaps the very fact that you have it will mean you never have to use it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I sort of am, but not really.  I already have a preban that I bought before they got really high for $800 and I just can't justify getting another one when I can buy 2 post bans for the price of one preban.  The only thing I really care about is the option of the collapsable stock.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And if later the prices drop... so what?  Today you are buying freedom insurance.  

View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The chance of the AWB bill Sunsetting has not effected my purchases up to date. If and [size=2]I sure hope it does Sunset[/size=2]. I will be purchasing two new Barrels so I can change the fixed welded comp Barrels out for the availability of Changing Flash Suppressors on my new Barrels.
The two Post-Ban Rifles I have purchased came with pinned non-collapsible stocks which can easily converted to collapsible.
I will admit I have no intentions to buy another Post-ban until this Bill has been re-issued or dead!!
I like those features and I want to have them on my AR15's.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I'm not actually holding off on a gun purchase, I'm just slowly saving up for a new unedited AR15 that I will buy when the AW ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]
... The other night around a campfire [b]Devils Advocate[/b] says [i]"I'd gladly accept the devaluation of my prebans for the sunset"[/i]. I agree with him whole heartedly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes...

I want a Saiga-12 shotgun

But I want it in the 'proper' configuration, not the sporterized version we have now...

While they cannot be imported in 'non-sporterized' condition because of the 89 import ban, they cannot be converted back because of the 94 AWB...

So once the AWB goes bye-bye, we will be able to get 'US-parted' Saigas that look like they should (i.e. look like an AK in 12GA)...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No, I'm just trying to be more selective in what I buy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I'm holding off, but not by choice!

I hope the AWB sunsets, and better yet, I hope the current interpretation of the 2nd from the 9th Circuit Court is overturned (i.e. they say the 2nd is a collective and not individual right) by the US Supreme Court.

The collective result from those two outcomes is Californians will lose our own AWB.

When that happens, I'm getting a preban Bushy, a SAR-1 and a SAR-2, maybe a G3, and ... I might even be ridiculous and get one of those semi-auto Auto Ordnance 1928's.  Oh, and lots and lots of "full capacity magazines" !!

Here's to our victory folks!  My kids may have a chance to enjoy this heritage after all.  Keep those fax machines warm, and the mailmen busy!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top