Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 6:13:30 PM EDT
I am changeing a few things on my 10/22, one them is the barrel.

I am leaning towards a carbon barrel, with a .920 diamiter.

Which manufacture would you recommend, Butler Creek, Volquartsen, anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the carbon barrel and get Randy at [url=http://www.ct-precision.com/page2.html][b]CPC[/b][/url] to make you one. Much better results.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT get a Butler Creek Carbon Barrel they are crap. The Volquartsen carbon fiber have a good reputation but are awful expensive.

The best barrel value for a 10/22 IMO are Green Mountain Barrels. Some people say Volquartsen are a little more accurate than Green Mountain… if they are I can not see the difference and Volquartsen cost much more.

Whiteface Mountain Rifle Barrel Supply has them at reasonable prices, link below. If he does not have the size or style you want in stock he can get it for you.

[url]http://www.riflebarrelsupply.com/gm10-22.htm[/url]

If you insist on a light bull barrel Whistlepig makes an aluminum one… pricy like the Volquartsen carbon fiber though.  

Go to Rim Fire Central forums for loads of info, the site is down right now so try later/tomorrow. Link Below:

[url]http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand Lilja is currently one of the top rimfire barrel makers.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read many a post on the Rimfire Central board praising the Green Mountain barrels for the 10-22.  They also seem to like the Volquartsen and Magnum Research carbon-fiber barrels.  Their site is down at this moment, but they have a ton of good reading over there on the Ruger 10-22.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I second the vote for a Green Mountain barrel.
I really couldn't justify spending the additional $90.00 something-or-other for a Volquartsen barrel for a firearm that I can't reload for.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
[size=4]You will not find a better value than the[/size=4] [size=6][green]Green Mountain![/green][/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are looking for a lightwt. CF barrel
Butler Creek- Avoid
Volquartsen- OK
Magnum Research- OK

Green Mountain doesnt make a CF barrel
but for the money it is without a doubt the best most accurate..

Randy at CPC is a magician

The best lt. wt. barrel out there imo is from
Whistle Pig.. a .920 Aluminum barrel with a stainless steel barrel liner
I've got one on my 10/22 mag and its very lt. wt. and accurate
They  will make you a 16" for $25 extra
[url]http://www.wpgbc.com/[/url]

See Hawktech over at rimfire central

Also check out Dakotan as the best thing for the 10/22 is a Volquartsen "Exact Edge" extractor and Dakotan's buffer...ext magazine release and a Volq trigger

Clark is also making a medium wt drop in 10/22 barrel that looks nice..

Also check out Skis post under 10/22 mag forum...great ideas for accurizing and reliability..my old style 10/22 mag runs like a top...no need at all for Rugers dual extractors...this works in the 10/22 and the MK II as well
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Cool thread, I was just wondering about this myself![:D]

BTW in the link above regarding Green Mountain barrels there was a match chamber and a stinger chamber available.  What's the difference?

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW in the link above regarding Green Mountain barrels there was a match chamber and a stinger chamber available. What's the difference?
View Quote

A match chamber is a little tighter than the factory chamber so that when a round is chambered the bullet actually is pushed into the rifling thereby eliminating any jump between the bullet and the chamber this aids accuracy. I have fired many sub-sonic, standard, and high-velocity 22 rounds through my Green Mountain match chamber barrel without any problems.  

The CCI Stinger has a muzzle velocity of 1640 fps that is 300-350 fps higher than high velocity .22 and they generate much higher chamber pressures. Also if I remember right Stinger .22 rounds have a slightly longer case. If fired in a tighter match chamber can be dangerous. So the barrels with a Stinger chamber are cut to handle these rounds. The factory chamber is OK but a match chamber and Stingers is a no-no.

The match chamber seems to be good all around. If you want an accurate rifle that shoot best with standard and match ammo and can use standard case high-velocity for hunting the match chamber is the way to go.

If you want to use Stingers you have to have the Stinger chamber. If your primary use will be hunting using Stinger ammo the Stinger chamber is the way to go. IMO getting a Stinger chamber and then shooting standard .22 in it defeats the purpose and will hurt your accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys THANKS for the info, if theres more, please feel free to add.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ditch the carbon barrel and get Randy at [url=http://www.ct-precision.com/page2.html][b]CPC[/b][/url] to make you one. Much better results.
View Quote

Couldn't agree with Jim Dandy more, I had Randy at CPC fix up a Ruger 10/22T that was not shooting like it should. The trigger work and other things he did made my rifle a superb shooter. His services were very reasonably priced. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I had thought about shipping it off to someone, but this is something I want to tweek and get right on my own....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
1shott sending it off will get you what you want… but doing it yourself is a lot of fun and with a 10/22 fairly easy. Dive in and enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Ditch the Carbon Barrel
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#16]
gotta throw my $.02 in...

AVOID THE BUTLER CREEK BARREL.  Had one, and it was NOT accurate for SHIT.  

Replaced it with an Adams&Bennett barrel (stainless), and it was MUCH more accurate.  If you REALLY REALLY want that carbon fiber barrel thing, go with the Volquartsen.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#17]

The CCI Stinger has a muzzle velocity of 1640 fps that is 300-350 fps higher than high velocity .22 and they generate much higher chamber pressures. Also if I remember right Stinger .22 rounds have a slightly longer case. If fired in a tighter match chamber can be dangerous. So the barrels with a Stinger chamber are cut to handle these rounds. The factory chamber is OK but a match chamber and Stingers is a no-no.
The match chamber seems to be good all around.
View Quote

Mike,  I don't want to seem nit-picky, but how would shooting CCI stingers or maxi mags in a standard chamber be dangerous? I don't think the pressures are high enough to cause any saftey issues.
I think that they make two size chambers because many times extraction becomes an issue when a Stinger is shot in a standard chamber.
I've experienced this several times using a 20" Butler crap .920 HB w/match chamber.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top