User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2003 4:01:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I want one of those!

Where's the pic?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Did it come with a wench?........oops nevermind, you're married.

Where's the pic?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont forget, JEEP stands for:

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

The JEEP aftermarket has everything available you want.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear you pulled the trigger, Hawkeye.

You won't be disappointed with the Sport - the Rubi is overkill for your needs.

If you ever need suggestions, tips, etc, IM me.

PS: first tip - remove the plastic bumper end caps. It screams newbie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
PICS we want PICS, what about the engine, what size.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont forget:

Junk
Every
Existing
Part

If you take it four wheeling, things will break.  Dont replace them with the same thing, upgrade to stronger gear.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats on your purchase!!

I'd look at better engine, defferential, transmission and power steering skid plates, Warn bumper with 9000lb warn winch, heavy duty rear bumper with built in tire carrier(the tailgate will bend or crack if you put too big of a tire on the stock tire carrier), roof rack, Hella, KC or PIAA off-road lights, fire extinguisher, rock sliders(a type of nerf bar that tucks up under the jeep rockers), good cb radio, husky floor mats,  

enjoy the new rig, I'm on my third jeep and love them.

generic
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://www.dullesauto.com/new_photos/231132.jpg[/img]
2003 Black Wrangler Sport, since Hawkeye didn't post a pic of his yet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
shit-can the factory bumper, and put on a REAL bumper, including a grill guard. One advantage to this (other than the obvious), is that you'll notice that a lot fewer people will pull out in front of you at intersections.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
shit-can the factory bumper, and put on a REAL bumper, ...you'll notice that a lot fewer people will pull out in front of you at intersections.
View Quote

I have found that to really accomplish this, you need 35's.[;)]

-Z
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool!

I like em too.

My mom and her husband are on their second sahara(they drive em for 60,000 then trade in)they've never had any problems.

She gets this jeep catalog that is just sick.I mean you can literally build your own jeep from this thing.It has frames,body's and every other aftermarket jeep part you can imagine.

Damn I can't remember the name but I'll try and dig it up for ya.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
How's the reliability?

At one time that was an issue-how about now?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
shit-can the factory bumper, and put on a REAL bumper, ...you'll notice that a lot fewer people will pull out in front of you at intersections.
View Quote

I have found that to really accomplish this, you need 35's.[;)]

-Z
View Quote
LOL, I hear ya, man! Trust me: any soccer mom driving her astrovan to the store will think twice about pulling in front of a 6-ft hunk of 8-inch channel iron bearing down on 'em, too. The bumper & grill cage I had on my '69 Blazer had so much steel in it, the front end sagged an inch and a half after it was welded onto the frame. NOBODY pulled out in front of me.

Btw, Hawkeye...that sounds like a VERY nice Jeep! (mine's just a poor 'ol '91)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
are they going to continue production on the rubicon? I heard that it may be a limited production one time deal.
Id say maby you should have went for a rubicon up front if your serious about moding the thing. it will save you from putting in a new front axle and Locker also I belive it comes with 4:10 gears stock no>?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Jeep C-J5 one time, Levi edition, 304 jeep v-8, still wish I had it.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Outstanding, maybe will catch you on the beach or trail someday.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
One little issue with Jeep automatic transmissions...the one we took a test drive in would still start out in 1st gear from a dead stop, even if the selector level was put in 2nd. While this is the traditional way for an auto trans to work, it would be better if they would make it start out in 2nd gear, like Chevy and even Honda do. Just MHO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One little issue with Jeep automatic transmissions...the one we took a test drive in would still start out in 1st gear from a dead stop, even if the selector level was put in 2nd. While this is the traditional way for an auto trans to work, it would be better if they would make it start out in 2nd gear, like Chevy and even Honda do. Just MHO.
View Quote

That wouldn't work off road.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That wouldn't work off road.
View Quote

Come again? I've gotten out of mud 3 times that way (albeit in inadequate, 2 wd vehicles)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WHY IN THE H@LL DIDNT SOMEONE TALK ME INTO BUYING ONE OF THESE THINGS SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

12-14MPG and limited storage are a few reasons. [;)]

That was my mileage on my 99TJ.  Of course I had heavy rear/front bumers, 33swampers, winch, 6" of lift, detroit locker rear arb front, rhino lined tub etc etc etc.  10+ grand invested.  

Just a fyi, the more you invest in a Jeep or any vehicle, you will not get that back when you try to sell.  

Anyway, TJ's are great and I sure miss mine.  Enjoy.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, it would work getting out of mud, or on the ice, but not on rocks.

That optional 4:1 t-case that Hawkeye didn't get drops your crawl ratio to 70:1, or someting like that. Starting in second would defeat the purpose entirely. I don't know evey gear ratio for the auto transmission in the TJ, or I could show you the numbers. Suffice to say that his crawl ratio would be way too high in second gear.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#25]
One question;
When you started posting about Jeeps, you said you wanted to be able to toe people AND gear, how does the Wrangler solve your problem?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#26]
What is the insurance cost vs your dakota?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ok, it would work getting out of mud, or on the ice, but not on rocks.

That optional 4:1 t-case that Hawkeye didn't get drops your crawl ratio to 70:1, or someting like that. Starting in second would defeat the purpose entirely. I don't know evey gear ratio for the auto transmission in the TJ, or I could show you the numbers. Suffice to say that his crawl ratio would be way too high in second gear.
View Quote

Agreed. That's how the Honda Civic is. The lowest gear that's selectable is 2nd, which, as you said, makes the low transfer case pointless. I like the setup in my friend's Camaro though. It has 1st through OD (4th) selectable manually. When you select first, it's in 1st until you shift. When you select 2nd it starts and stays there. When you select 3rd or 4th, it operates just like a normal auto trans. Starts in first, shift automatically, etc.

I like this in the Camaro 'cause it gives you good power in 1st, but also has the option of allowing you to start out in second if it's raining or muddy or something.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Glad it worked out for ya!
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Hawkeye-

You should look into getting a rack like the one I have. It's a Garvin Wildnerness Rack. It holds 500 lbs and you wouldn't need the trailer quite so often.

BTW - a trailer on a Jeep, even a light one, can be a scary experience due to the short wheelbase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top