Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/18/2016 1:16:23 AM EDT
Assume that the patient orders it, consents to it, and fully understands what is going on/what will happen.

Should it be legal in cases only where the patient is terminally ill? What about cases where the patient is permanently damaged (maimed, horribly disfigured, paralyzed, etc.)? Or should it be acceptable in all cases (e.g., the person has social issues or something and just wants to die)?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Assume that the patient orders it, consents to it, and fully understands what is going on/what will happen.

Should it be legal in cases only where the patient is terminally ill? What about cases where the patient is permanently damaged (maimed, horribly disfigured, paralyzed, etc.)? Or should it be acceptable in all cases (e.g., the person has social issues or something and just wants to die)?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

I am fighting Pancreatic caner right now.  

What scares me more than dying is my family having to see me die in pain and agony.  

We love our pets enough to end their suffering when it is time, why don't we love our family members enough to allow the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes free will and all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Vice had an interesting episode on this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes.

What scares me more than dying is my family having to see me die in pain and agony.  

We love our pets enough to end their suffering when it is time, why don't we love our family members enough to allow the same thing?
View Quote

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Speaking as one who was so ill, for months at a time over a period of several years, that I sincerely wanted to die, I say yes. It should definitely be legal, in all cases.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

Good luck man, hope you kick cancers ass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

God bless you, and your family.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn Arfcom....you confusing

I read threads on here where you call suicides, selfish cowardly pussies, and every other name in the book....but ITT we support suicide?  

I'm confused...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I read threads on here where you call suicides, selfish cowardly pussies, and every other name in the book....but ITT we support suicide?  

I'm confused...
View Quote

Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean you should deprive someone the right to do it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Speaking as one who was so ill, for months at a time over a period of several years, that I sincerely wanted to die, I say yes. It should definitely be legal, in all cases.
View Quote

Speaking as one who was going thru a terrible illness for a long time, and came within days of death, had thoughts of suicide, I am happy it wasn't legal then because I have recovered fully and very happy to be alive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#19]
It already is.  It has a code phrase : "we can make his last days more comfortable"  I don't have a problem with it .
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote

God bless you and may you go quickly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Everyone has the right to decide when it is their time.

And fuck any statist government that thinks otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

This right here.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't you worry.  The statist Government will be happy to accommodate your wishes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Don't you worry.  The statist Government will be happy to accommodate your wishes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#25]
If someone wants to end their life, they're going to do it if they are still physically capable of it. It's their life no one else's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean you should deprive someone the right to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused...

Who says I disagree with it?  I've fully supported suicides for as long as I can remember.  

I've always though that it was pretty selfish of the families....not selfish of the person committing suicide.  Hell, going through with it takes balls!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think I have a right to tell them its illegal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#28]
My life. Your life. Should be our choice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Bodily autonomy is the most basic right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#30]
If someone wants to go, who are we to stop them?  If they wait to the point where they can no longer do it themselves, there should be an option.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If someone wants to end their life, they're going to do it if they are still physically capable of it. It's their life no one else's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Only if we can fast track the illegal immigrants that have committed atrocious crimes into it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes.

I am fighting Pancreatic cancer right now.  

View Quote

My thoughts are with you, BIG PAPA.  My wife is fighting a stage 4 of her own and feels much the same way. Personally  I want to spend even minute I can with her.  She should be free to make her own decisions.

I voted should be legal in all cases.

What I actually believe is that it shouldn't be illegal.  I'd like to see the govt. butting the fuck out of the people's business.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm not a praying man, but BIG_PAPA and Threedogs are in my thoughts.

I think people should have the right to decide to go on their own terms. I do not agree with those that say suicide is selfish.

To those that would say that, I ask the question. Would you be happy to subject your loved one to prolonged pain and
suffering, be it mental or physical, just so you didn't have to go to the funeral?

For the record, I have had friends and relatives that chosen to end their own lives
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:06:17 AM EDT
[#35]
No, doctors and nurse should not be involved in taking lives or ending lives.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:32:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Speaking as one who was going thru a terrible illness for a long time, and came within days of death, had thoughts of suicide, I am happy it wasn't legal then because I have recovered fully and very happy to be alive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad that it worked out so well for you. For me, a full recovery was not in the cards. My case was similar to yours in that I came very close to death, which was prevented by surgery.

However, unlike you, my body was not fully restored. In addition, I am slowly, but inexorably, losing muscle strength and functioning to an incurable neurological disorder.

As a consequence, I currently reside in a nursing home, and my future looks to be one of ever-increasing dependence upon other people. Which doesn't make me the least bit happy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm glad that it worked out so well for you. For me, a full recovery was not in the cards. My case was similar to yours in that I came very close to death, which was prevented by surgery.

However, unlike you, my body was not fully restored. In addition, I am slowly, but inexorably, losing muscle strength and functioning to an incurable neurological disorder.

As a consequence, I currently reside in a nursing home, and my future looks to be one of ever-increasing dependence upon other people. Which doesn't make me the least bit happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for you...I know from days with illness that having to rely on others is the worst feeling.  Whats sometimes worse is if you have to spend time in the hospital or nursing facility is having to grovel in order to get a nurse or aid to do something for you.  Some of them are on a real power trip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Of course not!  How dare people be able to make their own choices.  We should force our moral judgements upon others.

Quoted:
View Quote

Amen. We should force our moral judgements on as many people as possible.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd rather someone do it in a hospital than jumping in front of my car.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Legal or illegal, if someone makes that choice, there are several methods that are pretty much 100% effective. What the law says seems pretty irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:12:17 AM EDT
[#42]
i can't see any compelling reason why not, so that's a definite yes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Why not just yourself?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why not just yourself?
View Quote

think about what you leave behind to your survivors.  imagine a terminally ill patient in hospice--how are they supposed to handle things?  makes sense that a legally competent person could request assistance (for example, provision of substances and postmortem care).
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely not, and its legality is prima facie evidence of the degradation of the polity and society involved.  And the thing is, it does lead to more consequences, no matter what limitations you start out with, although it is exceedingly immoral, on par with murder and the like, regardless (and thus justifies similar punishment).  It says a lot about a society when the dignity and worth of the individual life is no longer respected, despite claims by supporters of euthanasia that they are the ones granting dignity.  The right to life is inalienable.  An inalienable right means you cannot voluntarily give it up or transfer it any more than someone can justifiably take it from you.  The whole euthanasia thing is pretty disgusting, just like abortion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Of course not!  How dare people be able to make their own choices.  We should force our moral judgements upon others.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All laws ultimately involve moral judgments.  Morality is not some meaningless thing, otherwise why prohibit theft or murder?  It's prohibited because it's immoral.  It is absolutely wrong for those who are meant to provide care and "do no harm" to be involved in the murder of human beings.  If they participate in such acts, they should be harshly punished.  The way things are being done where euthanasia has been legalized without a doubt goes against the ethics of the medical profession, aside from being immoral in a broader sense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Absolutely not, and its legality is prima facie evidence of the degradation of the polity and society involved.  And the thing is, it does lead to more consequences, no matter what limitations you start out with, although it is exceedingly immoral, on par with murder and the like, regardless (and thus justifies similar punishment).  It says a lot about a society when the dignity and worth of the individual life is no longer respected, despite claims by supporters of euthanasia that they are the ones granting dignity.  The right to life is inalienable.  An inalienable right means you cannot voluntarily give it up or transfer it any more than someone can justifiably take it from you.  The whole euthanasia thing is pretty disgusting, just like abortion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get back to me once you've watched someone you love dying slowly from cancer spend their last few months in the hospital.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused...

There is no right to suicide, or to kill people who want to die (or who people say want to die; things are really getting pretty bad where euthanasia has been legalized; they're getting into euthanizing mentally ill children now).
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top