User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 2:33:10 PM EDT
I have to do a physical in 30 days that will involving the following:

1 1/2 mile run min 12:51 max not gonna happen
push-ups min >36 max >50
sit-ups min >27  max>51

Any training ideas?

BTW I am 34 years old and weight 220lbs.  Not I the best shape right now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in about the same ballpark, 36, and around 225.

The one thing that I find made a huge change in my life healthwise was getting a membership at a gym.  My workplace offered a cheap deal, and though I would have never tried it otherwise, I've found working out at home just isn't the same.

If you can get yourself to the gym even once during the week, and once during the weekend, getting in a good 40 mins or so on a rowing machine, bike, stairclimber, whatever suits you, your cholesterol and bloodpressure will most likely drop significanlty.

Mine went from real bad to normal BP and decent cholestorol in about 3 months.

Once during the week, and once on a weekend, is not that hard to get yourself to do.

Getting in quick shape in 30 days is another story.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I should say, another plus of the gym is all the eye candy you get to look at while you're working out. :)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have to do a physical in 30 days that will involving the following:

1 1/2 mile run min 12:51 max not gonna happen
push-ups min >36 max >50
sit-ups min >27  max>51

Any training ideas?

BTW I am 34 years old and weight 220lbs.  Not I the best shape right now.
View Quote

So what? I am 35, 6'3" and 215. I ran the 1 1/2 mile in 11:45 last week, 38 situps and 35 pushups. Not that hard, just start RIGHT NOW. the more you work the easier it gets..
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My biggest concern is the run.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My biggest concern is the run.
View Quote

Well, since I seem to be the king of the "being in shape going to fatass and the back again", I'll be the first one to suggest you practice running.[noclue][lifter]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
start running.  mark out 3/4 of a mile from your house, and run to it and back.  see how long it takes.  carry a stopwatch, and beat the time every day.
start doing pushups.  add one to the routine every other day until you can do 40.
start doing situps.  add one to the routine until you can do 30.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Get busy.  You know you need to run, do pushups, and do situps.

So run, do pushups, and do situps.  Lifting weights wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

And don't let yourself get out of shape in the future!

If you weigh 225 pounds, you'd BETTER be 6'3" or taller,  or a body builder!

Effective immediately, you also need to be on a diet.  Cut out ALL the snack foods, and I mean ALL of them.   Including sodas, incidentally.

Your diet should include carbohydrates for energy and protein to build muscle.  Vegetables for roughage and for minerals, too.

With only a month to get in shape,  you can't afford to wait a single day before starting.  

CJ

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, you're not gonna do in 30 days. I would start by going out for walks and work yourself up slowly from there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Go buy the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. Read it, do it, live it. You should be able to make it. I lost 16 lbs in the first 3 weeks on it - I am 34 5'9" and 173 lbs currently, but started it last year and went from 186 to 170 within the first month. Lost 14 years of love handles in about 6 weeks, and could run a 6 min mile by the end of 12 weeks on the plan. Also found myself being able to lift more weights than I did when I wrestled collegiately. Good luck![banana]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know where you stand right now.

Can you run two miles without stopping to walk?

If not, start running. Walk when you have to, run again. Build up to 3 miles of running. Keep up the heart rate for 30 minutes.

If yes, you shouldn't have to worry so much about injury - just work on improvement.

Be sure to stretch good after a quick warm-up and again after you run.

DO NOT OVER-TRAIN. An injury will really screw up your test.

Run tonight, then again Tuesday. I wouldn't go again until Friday, then try Sunday morning. By then, the initial soreness will have faded and you will start to see dramatic improvement.

It sucks getting old, so DO NOT INJURE YOURSELF. Start slow.

Do sit ups every day, push ups every other day at a minimum. Go lower than you have to and slower than you have to.

Edit:
I thought today was Sunday, so move everything up one day. After a week, you should be able to go every other day. What ever you do, don't try to push yourslef running evry day. You are not fit enough and will only increase your chance of injury.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input.

I am not in the worst shape.  A few months ago I was walking 8 to 10 miles a day with a 40-lb backpack in Denver.  I have been working in the office since so the only exercise I have been doing lately is softball two nights a week and walks with the GF.

I took the test for this job almost two years ago and didn't hear much from them until three weeks ago when they asked for more infomration.
Then got an email today asking me to select a day in June for an interview and PT test.

I am going to the gym tonight and will start walking and running.

I don't eat much junk food but I just dumped any crap like that in the house and went shopping for some better food.

BTW I am 6'1".

Looks likes 30 days of no pizza no beer fun fun fun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what you have to do.  You can do it.  Have fun.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I would go to a doctor first before I start any running. I did and I always felt out of shape for the past year. I wasn't out of shape but had a bad heart.If I tried just diving into it, I could had died.Now I power walk and in 3 weeks I lost 13 pounds.Need to lose about 15 more pounds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
DO NOT OVER-TRAIN. An injury will really screw up your test.
View Quote

I'll second that one.  Over the years, I've seen too many guys run every day then eventually have to quit due to permanent injuries.  Do it every other day at most.  After all, you get stronger when healing between work-outs, not while working-out.z
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually you are lucky. You have a "Physical Agility Test".  Tuesday the DT instructor is conducting a "physical ABILITY test" AKA Puke Day. consists of running a mile sprint then hauling a 180 pound dummy all over the gym till you collapse
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]
There is alot of really great advice for you here!  When I need to drop a few and get in shape, I go Atkins for about 10 days to two weeks and then transition to Zone diet.  I mountain bike and road bike more and run less until my connective tissue catches up and I lose a few.  Also, ask a runner about a good field for running.  A groomed grassy field is the ultimate running surface, especially if you are new to running.  Of course, the big drawback is bumps or potholes that will turn your ankle, hence, this is why you should ask a seasoned runner for a good place.  You'll thank me later!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell I thought that you had a problem(you are 6 1)  220 is about right!  I'm 5 11 at about 220(guess I can say I'm vertically challenged!
 Bob [:D]   Edited to say what size do your shoe be?  You got big hands ,big wrists?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#21]
where do you stand right now?

If you're out of shape, you won't be obtaining those stats with just 30 days of training.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I did 2 miles in about 20 minutes last night.  I could have done it faster but I want to work up to running faster and avoid injuries.

No steriods, this job will require a drug test.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I did 2 miles in about 20 minutes last night.  I could have done it faster but I want to work up to running faster and avoid injuries.

No steriods, this job will require a drug test.
View Quote

Damn!
Domino's requires a drug and fitness test now?

Just kidding , good luck with your test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top