Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 2:31:33 PM EDT
I need a treatment system. I have one of those cartrige type filters, but that just ain't cutting it.  I also have a filter on the kitchen sink, to further filter the water, just to make it drinkable.

Are those $400 to $500 salt systems worth a fvck, or do I need to really break the bank, and go for something more?

Lots of iron in the water.

HELP!!

And, TIA...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
salt will take the hardness out. depending on the iron content, specific iron filters are available.

have you had your water tested, yet?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Great for watering your lawn. You would have the greenest lawn in town.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I need a treatment system. I have one of those cartrige type filters, but that just ain't cutting it.  I also have a filter on the kitchen sink, to further filter the water, just to make it drinkable.

Are those $400 to $500 salt systems worth a fvck, or do I need to really break the bank, and go for something more?

Lots of iron in the water.

HELP!!

And, TIA...
View Quote
Get a reverse osmosis system, it will give you quality water, run about 600.00 but that is what I had to do to be able to drink our water.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Up here in New England we get radioactive water out of our faucets.  Deep wells drilled in heavy granite areas means lots of radon in the water for us.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
salt will take the hardness out. depending on the iron content, specific iron filters are available.

have you had your water tested, yet?
View Quote

Had the water tested right before buying the house.  I'll look to see if I can find the particulars.  The lab that did the report didn't see anything too far out of whack with the results, or surely they would have let us know.

I'm just tired of changing filters, dingy clothes.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Three words: Rain Water Collection
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a kinetico softener and water filter in by the [s]kicthen[/s] kitchen sink, it took care of my iron and sulfur problems.
They use no electricity and recharge only when  needed, no clock is involved which saves salt.

[url]www.kinetico.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
We have an incredible amount of iron in our well water also. It has badly stained the sink and toilet (especially) fixtures.  There are a number of devices out there to help treat this type of water. None of them are especially cheap; so I'd do some serious homework.  I've heard lots of good stuff about Kinetico softeners...but I don't know if that's really the solution for us or not since the iron is sooo bad. I'm currently in the process of connecting to a small community water system so that we use the well solely for irrigation.

I recommend lots of homework so that you fully understand the issues (if you don't already)prior to investing in some expensive hardware.

Good luck,
Kevin
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, gentlemen...  I use that term loosely.

After looking over the report(that I had done before buying the house 3 years ago) that states "No adverse levels" of anything in my well.  You know how that shit goes....  Inspector gets his brother in law to test it....

I'm gonna do something right, for once.  I'm gonna call Hank Kimball(LMMFAO), our local County Extention Agent.  Check into who does the best water analysis around here, and go from there.

Then, I'll start shopping....  I mean ..  Then I'll do whatever MarcyMousegun tells me to do, as usual....

Any further input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a link that has some interesting information on "iron in the water".

[url]www.raindancewatersystems.com[/url]

Looked to me like there were at least two forms of iron; one organic and the other not (rust). The issue that arises is whether or not a softener alone can handle those iron compounds.  Anyway, there's alot of background info on rusty water at that website.

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
[+]:D]
  You mean to tell me I've been pissing in your
well this whole time!?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I put a kinetico softener and water filter in by the [s]kicthen[/s] kitchen sink, it took care of my iron and sulfur problems.
They use no electricity and recharge only when  needed, no clock is involved which saves salt.

[url]www.kinetico.com[/url]
View Quote

Dittos on Kinetico.
If I sell this house, my Kinetico goes with me.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]
WRT a conventional softener, there [i]appears[/i] to be a body of evidence that the saline solution flushed out of a softener after regeneration can have bad effects on the drainfield of a septic system. I'd recommend checking with your local yokels to see what, if any, restrictions you may be facing.  If you talk with a softener (Kinetico) guy, I'm sure he can give you a blurb on this potential problem.

I'm thinking on down the line we'll probably end-up with a Kinetico; however, I'll be checking out the salt issues pretty closely prior to purchase.

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have tomorrow off...  

Hank Kimball has a call incoming.  
Thanks for the info.  Updates as I get them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Well water at my grandparents place in Somerset, PA was terrific when they had the well drilled in 82'.  For years they had water that rivaled the best spring water.  At 390' they thought it would be like that forever.  Until the nearby strip mine was to be reclaimed and cleaned up that is.  The miners came back to the old mine to get the coal that was left over and regrade the hillside and install new drainage ponds.  They did some blasting.  They were about 150 yards from the house and some of the blasting was so powerful that it cracked the windows in the house.  The mining company came to gather water samples prior to any work.  My grandparents never did the same.  Turns out that the miners fucked something up underground because the water is fucking horrible and undrinkable.  It is tinted slightly yellow and leaves stains on everything it touches.  They don't live there full time(summer and vacation) so they buy bottled water to drink and cook and use the wel for bathing and the toilet.  The water is piled high with iron and sulpher.  I doubt a softener would help.  But the ones listed are all pretty good from what I understand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top