Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/16/2016 11:24:54 PM EDT
What are coffee maker are you using? I'm trying to justify a Technivorm. I had a Bona Vita which was OK, but the ex took it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Burr grinder and Bodum French Press.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Works for me.
View Quote

That's what I'm using at the moment but it's too much hassle, and usually comes out like mud, and french press is supposed to raise your cholesterol because some coffee chemical doesn't get filtered.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's what I'm using at the moment but it's too much hassle, and usually comes out like mud, and french press is supposed to raise your cholesterol because some coffee chemical doesn't get filtered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Works for me.

Cholesterol is good for you.  It's a precursor of testosterone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you looking for hassle free, inexpensive, or best tasting - you know the saying "pick any two".....
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I use an Aero Press. One at home, one at work. I use stainless reusable filters.

I have a Capresso grinder with a gear-motor drive and stainless cone burrs.

I prefer coffee from Costa Rica. I have tried Kona, Ethiopian, Columbian, yada yada yada.

Costa Rica (several brands) does it for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works for me.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Coffee maker?

I am the goddamn coffeemaker.

Burr grinder and a french press.

Got a ascaso dream machine for when i want to be a fancy pants.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's what I'm using at the moment but it's too much hassle, and usually comesand  out like mud, and french press is supposed to raise your cholesterol because some coffee chemical doesn't get filtered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works for me.

That's what I'm using at the moment but it's too much hassle, and usually comesand  out like mud, and french press is supposed to raise your cholesterol because some coffee chemical doesn't get filtered.

You are lazy. .... and like to make excuses for making subpar coffee.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate the French Press, but a burr grinder is a must.

Here are some guides from AB:

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are coffee maker are you using? I'm trying to justify a Technivorm. I had a Bona Vita which was OK, but the ex took it.
View Quote

My 20 YO Technivorm says to just buy the fookin Technivorm and a Rocky grinder while you are at it.  They are both lifetime purchases
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the Aeropress.

I use the paper filters.'

Roast my own with a heat gun and a stainless steel bowl.

I grind it with the butt of my rifle stock.

Oh wait!!  No, I use a burr grinder, the butt of the rifle stock is just a back up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I drink foldgers k-cups.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I got one for my birthday this year. It is simple, cool to watch, and works great.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Works for me.
View Quote

There can be only one right answer...this is it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Saeco Digital Italia.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
A French press, a mocha pot, a Chemex, or my espresso machine depending on what I feel like.

I have a capresso burr mill that works great for all applications.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#18]
French press and Peets
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
French press and Peets
View Quote

Good stuff
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Cafe Bustelo expresso grind in my Stanley battleship steel French press.  I use a generic kettle to get my r.o. water hot.  Cheap and very good quality.  I have had coffee all around the world and this one really suits my pistols. This is very cheap coffee.  Wally world sells it.  You can even get K-cups for it, but I bet the k-cups feed communist cocksucker twinkletoes liberal agendas.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought coffee snobs only used a French press?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Works for me.
View Quote

Best combo=best coffee!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#23]
it's too much hassle, and usually comes out like mud,
View Quote
you're grinding your beans too fine. Try a coarser setting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I think the 3rd person in the thread to recommend that grinder. Just ordered one. I'll keep my bodum french press for now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#25]
An Aeropress for work and home
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Braun grinder & French press. Checking out the Burr grinders now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Gaggia Classic (espresso)

Edit: I have the Gaggia MDF grinder but the doser sucks. If I had it to do over I'd buy a Roncilo Rocky grinder and be done with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Works for me.
View Quote

First post wins, we're done here.

Keurig users need not apply. If I wanted to pay too much for shitty coffee, I would just go to Starbucks like everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Strictly Kopi Luwak in a French Press.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If you don't already have a grinder of at least the quality of a Baratza Virtuoso, buy a grinder first.   It's THAT important to good coffee.    

I recently bought a Technivorm and to be honest, if I had to do it again, I would probably buy a good grinder, a temp controlled kettle and a bigger French Press.  

The Technivorm is noted for getting the water temperature to the correct level and it does that but you still have to put a fair amount of work into it to get great coffee.  I've gotten as many sour cups out of mine as I have good ones.  It's not the automatic, set-it-and-forget-it brewer that many claim it to be.  

The biggest issue I have is that fresh coffee blooms and that bloom results in a fair amount of the coffee not getting saturated with water so under-extraction occurs and you get sour coffee.  I have to wait until the level of the water is above the coffee grounds in the basket and then I stir it several times to get all of the grounds in the water and then I open the valve and let it drain.  I end up doing as much work as I would with a French Press and I could have bought a Virtuoso Grinder and a Bonavita temp controlled kettle for the price I paid for the Technivorm.  

I will note that I have the 8-cup version and I only brew 4 cups at a time.  The machine is optimized for 8 cup brewing so there are some compromises in quality when brewing lesser amounts.   I would never drink 8 cups and the coffee I use is to expensive to waste so I've never brewed a full pot so maybe some of the problems I experience would disappear.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a burr grinder and a Technivorm.  It works well, it's not life changing but it does consistently make good coffee.  If your counting pennies spend the money on a burr grinder first and a coffee maker last.

Edit - I do the same stir technique as above.  It's not overly laborious in my mind but it's also not a programmable coffee maker that does everything for you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm using a 1950's Mirro-Matic that I got at the thrift store for $4.

8 outstanding cups of Joe. Works 100% of the time and only takes 12min.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#33]
My cuisinart died a few months back and I started using one of my French presses every morning until I got around to ordering a new one from Amazon, I have now decided to stick with the French press, it makes the best Java!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Mr. Coffee, pre-ground out of a can, black.

Caffeine is a drug, not an accessory. Fuck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Thermoplan FTMFW

Long as you don't mind spending 5 digits

If you're going to brew it buy a Bunn.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I got one for Christmas. Looks cool, easy to use and makes a good cup of coffee. Nothing life changing, but a consistently good cup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Breville Infuser or Aeropress depending on the day. Both are awesome
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

this.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

Therefore it should taste as bad as possible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Lol - thought this was a starbucks thread.   Happy enough with the keurig 2.0.  Before that was a burr grinder and a cuisinart coffee maker.  I got my beans from a guy i knew that roasted them in small batches in his house (he had a side business roasting coffee).  Now its just plop latch push enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I have a burr grinder and a Technivorm.  It works well, it's not life changing but it does consistently make good coffee.  If your counting pennies spend the money on a burr grinder first and a coffee maker last.

Edit - I do the same stir technique as above.  It's not overly laborious in my mind but it's also not a programmable coffee maker that does everything for you.
View Quote
I've even gotten in the habit of putting the filter in basket and filling it with water and then letting it drain to get rid of the paper dust.  I've watched too many YouTube videos!    At least I don't run a batch of water thru my Technivorm before brewing coffee.  It's supposed to get rid of the "stagnant" water that was left from the last brew cycle and to heat up the carafe.  I swear, I think coffee snobs are more obsessive than gun snobs.    

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cafe Bustelo expresso grind in my Stanley battleship steel French press.  I use a generic kettle to get my r.o. water hot.  Cheap and very good quality.  I have had coffee all around the world and this one really suits my pistols. This is very cheap coffee.  Wally world sells it.  You can even get K-cups for it, but I bet the k-cups feed communist cocksucker twinkletoes liberal agendas.

View Quote

Cheap but good
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've even gotten in the habit of putting the filter in basket and filling it with water and then letting it drain to get rid of the paper dust.  I've watched too many YouTube videos!    At least I don't run a batch of water thru my Technivorm before brewing coffee.  It's supposed to get rid of the "stagnant" water that was left from the last brew cycle and to heat up the carafe.  I swear, I think coffee snobs are more obsessive than gun snobs.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MUCH more.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Keurig at home, Aeropress on the move.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Isomac Tea II  espresso machine,  baratza vario grinder.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MUCH more.

http://www.schneordesign.com/Avi/SilviaMegaMod/13_ack/13_2.jpg

Holy PID nerd batman
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MUCH more.

I haven't ventured into the world of Espresso but I know the name Rancilio!  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Breville BES870xl
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MUCH more.

Yeah, that's the Rancilio Silvia. It's widely regarded as the best priced/most functional unit for your average home coffee nerd. It's also, as you might guess, highly modifiable
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Technivorm moccamaster and their grinder.

(Makes great coffee)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top