Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2016 1:31:45 PM EDT
They are trying to nest and some little shitbirds keep going in and out. Last year they killed all their eggs and rolled them out of their house. I let nature take its course thinking the bluebirds could handle themselves and protect their house. This year, I'm thinking about stepping in.

#blackcappedchickadeelivesmatter? Or let the bodies hit the floor?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a chickadee or is it a sparrow?  Photo?

I likely wouldn't mess with chickadees (they are suet and seed eaters, and not scavenger birds), but I'll pop a sparrow or beat him to death.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sparrows suck... they keep nesting in the outdoor speakers on my back patio.  

Make a mess of the furniture too.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I likely wouldn't mess with chickadees (they are suet and seed eaters, and not scavenger birds), but I'll pop a sparrow or beat him to death.

Sparrows suck... they keep nesting in the outdoor speakers on my back patio.  

Make a mess of the furniture too.  

Yeah...I got the fix for that.  

You can guess what happened to him after I took the photo.  He generally gets used as bait for another bird for at least a day before seeing his last sunset.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Sparrows are trapped and killed in some parts of the country
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sparrows are trapped and killed in some parts of the country
View Quote

You don't say.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot the sparrows if you can.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chickadees are the ones I keep catching, but I have no idea who the actual murderers were.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
In Ohio it is Europeans Starlings that are hurting the current residents.  Fucking illegal immigrants!

at least they're not too ugly.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Those chickadees are not threatened in any way. You are the landlord, pick your tenant of choice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Chickadees are the ones I keep catching, but I have no idea who the actual murderers were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably bluejays or crows.  Crows killed some hummingbird nestlings at my place a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Ohio it is Europeans Starlings that are hurting the current residents.  Fucking illegal immigrants!  

at least they're not too ugly.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/european_starling_16.jpg

http://nestwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/EUST_TheNatureNook_Birdshare.jpg

View Quote

Those fuckers brought some nasty ass mites into my childhood home back in Ohio. I'd kill the fuck out of every single one if I had the chance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I knew you'd be in this thread.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chickadees and wrens will peck the eggs, but generally if your bluebirds are already nesting and have eggs, the male will fight off any bird that comes near to the house.
One Site recommends putting up a second house nearby.  Another tactic is to use a hole reducer on a new house to keep bluebirds specifically out, and then and point them to a bluebird house.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a killing machine, bitch.  LOL

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I may end up going the route of buying another house, but the thought of that kinda pisses me off to be honest.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I may end up going the route of buying another house, but the thought of that kinda pisses me off to be honest.

View Quote

Seriously, who buys bird houses instead of making them themselves?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could handle any of the birds listed as competitors with the exception of three--sparrows, cowbirds and starlings.  
Wrens eat insects, so that's not a problem.
Chickadees and titmice are songbirds, not scavengers.
Swallows are extremely difficult to capture or shoot.  Besides, they eat bugs.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

White Flight huh. . . fuck that OP.

Buy a lawn chair, a 30 rack of coors, and do some recon.

I don't take shit from invasive species
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I put up a 12- "apartment" Purple Martin house this month and the next day there was a fucking Sparrow trying to nest in there. It was dispatched.

No PMs have found it yet but it's still a bit early.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I put up a 12- "apartment" Purple Martin house this month and the next day there was a fucking Sparrow trying to nest in there. It was dispatched.

View Quote

Protip--they like gourds way better than houses.  The only issue is that real gourds must be replaced every few years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like a lawn chair near the feeder w/ a pellet gun is in the near future OP.  Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Protip--they like gourds way better than houses.  The only issue is that real gourds must be replaced every few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That used to be the case but way better houses are being designed now that limit the number of scavenger birds that can get to the nests. Starlings used to be the bad actors but with the smaller apartment openings they are not a issue any longer.

I found this S&K one NIB last year at a yard sale for $5.00. A friend across town has one and the PMs love it. I called him and he only has one return resident so far. Like I said it still a bit early.

Someone had their shit together when they designed it.....When I took it out of the box I said WTF?.....When I assembled it I said Damn, this thing is solid.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That used to be the case but way better houses are being designed now that limit the number of scavenger birds that can get to the nests. Starlings used to be the bad actors but with the smaller apartment openings they are not a issue any longer.

I found this S&K one NIB last year at a yard sale for $5.00. A friend across town has one and the PMs love it. I called him and he only has one return resident so far. Like I said it still a bit early.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/9c/9cefaec6-5da1-4325-982b-445b3973de5d_300.jpg

Someone had their shit together when they designed it.....When I took it out of the box I said WTF?.....When I assembled it I said Damn, this thing is solid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/9c/9cefaec6-5da1-4325-982b-445b3973de5d_300.jpg

I tried a house for several years with no luck.  I moved to gourds and had them that same year.
It's like they are nuts down here for them.  It may be a climate thing though as it gets VERY hot during the summer here in North MS.
Before I had to change my gourds out, I had a colony of > 50 birds.  And I live in the city too, so you can imagine how much my neighbors like me.  LOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Took us a long time to finally get a pair of bluebirds to nest in our yard; the young are now hatched.

You have to keep a close eye on the houses during nesting season and eradicate unwanted tenants. Make sure the boxes are GTG for bluebirds ie. correct sized hole, no perch ect.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Put up a sign saying "No tresspassing", and "No killing bluebird eggs".  I'm assured by liberals that signs and rules keep antisocial behavior in check, and if we'd just pass more laws against guns, we'd reduce "gun violence".
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I tried a house for several years with no luck.  I moved to gourds and had them that same year.
It's like they are nuts down here for them.  It may be a climate thing though as it gets VERY hot during the summer here in North MS.
Before I had to change my gourds out, I had a colony of > 50 birds.  And I live in the city too, so you can imagine how much my neighbors like me.  LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With thoughts of trying a couple S&K "Whistle Gourds" I installed a couple hanging brackets on the PM house.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We finally got a pair to nest, I'll put another box out this fall in the hopes some of the offspring will return with the parents.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With thoughts of trying a couple S&K "Whistle Gourds" I installed a couple hanging brackets on the PM house.

http://store.skmfg.com/images/whistlenew2.jpg
View Quote

I've seen those but have never known anyone around here using them.  I'd love to know if they work and if so how well.
Do you already have an established colony?  

My birds showed up March 6th.  I have four currently.  Pretty sure those are just scouts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
EXCUSE ME??? A "blue" bird house?  Your house is racist.  Shame on you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
EXCUSE ME??? A "blue" bird house?  Your house is racist.  Shame on you.
View Quote

The house itself looks like war-torn early 80s Lebanon shanty from all the BBs and pellet strikes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I could handle any of the birds listed as competitors with the exception of three--sparrows, cowbirds and starlings.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's definitely the chickadees. We put a paper towel in to keep them out and the squirrel guard had spitballs all over it from the squatter trying to get in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's definitely the chickadees. We put a paper towel in to keep them out and the squirrel guard had spitballs all over it from the squatter trying to get in.
View Quote

Another way to make them stop building is to prop the door to the house open.  Nothing will build there with the door open.
Once they decide to go away, re-secure the door.  Bluebirds make at least two broods a year.  You might miss the first but not the second.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#33]
This year's pair appear to be badasses and far more territorial. Mr. Bluebird is guarding the roof every time I look outside now.

Wholesale songbird slaughter averted for now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This year's pair appear to be badasses and far more territorial. Mr. Bluebird is guarding the roof every time I look outside now.

Wholesale songbird slaughter averted for now.
View Quote

I'd say there is good chance that means his female has built and is in the process of laying eggs.
They get increasingly aggressive once an egg has been laid.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#35]
House Sparrows are the problem around here.
(PNW)
This site has lots of info on traps, air rifles, bird houses etc.
I have mostly VG swallows and chestnut backed chickadees.
My birdhouses have airgun marks too.
http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm#recognize
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
It's not that I'm casting aspersions, but the thought of chickadees killing off bluebirds is filling my mind with f***.  Are you *sure* it isn't English/house sparrows?  Because if you were to tell me it was the sparrows, my universe would make sense again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's not that I'm casting aspersions, but the thought of chickadees killing off bluebirds is filling my mind with f***.  Are you *sure* it isn't English/house sparrows?  Because if you were to tell me it was the sparrows, my universe would make sense again.
View Quote

I'm not sure if the chickadees were the killers last year. But I'm positive they had been going in and out of the house up until this week. I've removed the beginnings of their nest twice...little buggers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]
No means no.
Headshot.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Which size entrance hole?  Predator block?  Which design?  Mounted and placed how?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top