Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2016 7:16:30 PM EDT
I read Blind Man's Bluff not too long ago and it got me thinking: did the Soviets run similar operations against us? Did they tap undersea cables? Attempt to salvage sunken US ships? Land special operations forces on US territory?

I vaguely remember reading something about people finding evidence of Soviet troops in Alaska, but I don't know if that was true or not.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You must have missed the part of BMB where they discuss after the fall of the wall the Ruskies admitted that the crews of their subs were officers doing many roles and unmotivated and untrained conscripts.

Not to mention the many lost Russian subs they'll never admit.

Great book though.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The natives on Little Diomede find Russian dry cell batteries and other discarded military gear sometimes?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't they find traces of mini subs up there?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The natives on Little Diomede find Russian dry cell batteries and other discarded military gear sometimes?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
They didn't need to infiltrate to the scale we did, because there were so many collaborators in the US, who would give them info and do their bidding.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I recall some writer for Guns and Ammo or Soldier of Fortune finding 5.45 cases in Alaska at a time when it wasn't available commercially.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They didn't need to infiltrate to the scale we did, because there were so many collaborators in the US, who would give them info and do their bidding.
View Quote

NATO collaborators tended to be low level.

Soviet/Warsaw Pact collaborators tended to be Colonels  or above.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I read Blind Man's Bluff not too long ago and it got me thinking: did the Soviets run similar operations against us? Did they tap undersea cables? Attempt to salvage sunken US ships? Land special operations forces on US territory?

I vaguely remember reading something about people finding evidence of Soviet troops in Alaska, but I don't know if that was true or not.
View Quote

Yeah I've read the book too.  From what I can recall from other sources, I think the Soviets tried to salvage a sunken ship???  But essentially their equipment couldn't get it done so nothing happen...??

I would be most interested in reading about their human intel programs and operations here in the states, but I don't think that has ever been released and for good reason (for them anyway).

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
There were Soviet "illegals" trained in sabotage  and assasination in the US. They would have attacked power grids,blown bridges,poisoned municipal water supplies. They had weapons and explosives cached and even toxins in place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought there were Russians for training purposes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I posted before on a similar thread that I am just about certail that the reporter Jack Anderson wrote back in the early 1980s that soviet GRU agents had weapons caches in the upper midwest (like minnesote) near the canadian border, with nuclear demolition charges to boot.

If they wanted a limted war or just to upset things, that would have been better than launching a few ICBMs to do something like taking out a dam or major business or industrial facility, and prevented a massive retaliation like bombers or missiles would.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit, the Russians are coming.  Call Range Control.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]

It was based on a midwestern town,supposedly in Iowa and the remains are still there

Its modern replacement is a replica of a neighborhood in Chevy Chase,MD but of course it is much easier to train and install illegal agents these days.

Just FWIW,the FSB is actively trying to  recruit "normal" Estonians,not just those in the military,government,police etc. It's safe to say they are stepping up such activity everywhere they deem vital.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I posted before on a similar thread that I am just about certail that the reporter Jack Anderson wrote back in the early 1980s that soviet GRU agents had weapons caches in the upper midwest (like minnesote) near the canadian border, with nuclear demolition charges to boot.

If they wanted a limted war or just to upset things, that would have been better than launching a few ICBMs to do something like taking out a dam or major business or industrial facility, and prevented a massive retaliation like bombers or missiles would.
View Quote

They were trained and equipped at attack dams,power stations,gas and oil pipelines. It is best presumed that there was a quid pro quo in the 90s that the US and Russia cooperated to remove caches as of course they would eventually be found and were booby trapped. One was discovered in Switzerland and did explode.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you have a link discussing that? This stuff is fascinating to me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There were Soviet "illegals" trained in sabotage  and assasination in the US. They would have attacked power grids,blown bridges,poisoned municipal water supplies. They had weapons and explosives cached and even toxins in place.
View Quote

I always wondered what happened to them after the wall fell.

I'm sure many went back but I doubt all could resist not just continuing on with the lives they were leading in relative western comfort.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I recall some writer for Guns and Ammo or Soldier of Fortune finding 5.45 cases in Alaska at a time when it wasn't available commercially.
View Quote

Yep, I remember that article too!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I figured the Soviets did operations on US Soil. Easily done with their Human Intel gathering. As for military operations.... maybe Spec-Ops in Civvie Attire conducting recon on certain locations.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Soviet AGI's operated off our naval bases nearly continuously throughout the '70's-'80's just in international waters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember reading about a rental car being abandoned on a major US bridge, parked across all lanes of traffic creating a massive traffic jam, sometime in the early 2000s. IIRC the vehicle was rented to somebody using a false identity. Apparently somehow that identity was traced back to a Russian Intel/spec ops agent who had family that was also involved in Russian politics.

Nobody knew why or what the purpose of blocking that bridge was but it can be speculated. Apparently the driver whipped the car sideways and blocked traffic and casually exited the car and jumped into another vehicle and left.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I've heard about an Alaskan Eskimo Scout that stumbled onto a Spetznatz unit doing LRS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have scans of that article?

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Soviet spetsnaz reconnaissance teams operated in AK.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://fas.org/spp/starwars/congress/1999_h/has299010_0.htm

Mr. Mitrokhin also transcribed the finding aids to three radio caches in Belgium. I won't go through the details. That is described in my written evidence. In the Austrian, Swiss, and Belgian examples, the fact that the authorities had learned the location of the caches from the Mitrokhin archive had not been revealed until the publication last month of our book, The Sword and the Shield. There is no doubt that similar caches exist in the United States.

The United States, ''the main adversary,'' to quote KGB jargon, was, of course, an enormously more important target for KGB sabotage operations than Austria, Switzerland, or Belgium. Though Mr. Mitrokhin didn't transcribe the detailed finding aids to any of the KGB arms caches in the United States, his notes make clear that these caches were an integral part of sabotage operations against U.S. targets. KGB files revealed, for example, that in 1966, KGB sabotage and intelligence groups, DRG's, to quote their acronym, largely composed of Sandinista guerrillas, were established on the Mexican-U.S. border with support bases in the area of Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, and Ensenada. The Sandinista leader, Carlos Fonseca Amador, code named Hydrologist, his KGB code name, was a trusted KGB agent. His file was noted by Mitrokhin.

Among the chief sabotage targets across the U.S.-Mexican border were military bases, missile sites, radar installations, and the oil pipeline code named START, which ran from El Paso in Texas to Costa Mesa in California. Three sites on the California coast were selected for DRG landings, together with large capacity caches in which to support mines, explosives, detonators, other sabotage material. A support group code named Saturn was tasked with using the movements of migrant workers to conceal the transfer of agents and the munitions across the borders. And further details of that are given in my written testimony.

Canada in the north, like Mexico in the south, was intended as a base for cross-border operations by DRGs against the main adversary. In 1967 a number of frontier crossings were reconnoitered, among them areas near the Lake of the Woods and the International Falls in Minnesota and in the regions of the Glacier National Park in Montana.

According to a KGB file, and it may well be right, one of its targets in Montana, the Flathead Dam, I quote, ''generated the largest power supply system in the world,'' end quotes, which is why it was a major KGB target. It identified a point, code named Doris, on the South Fork River about three kilometers below the dam where a DRG could bring down a series of pylons on a steep mountain slope that would take a lengthy period to repair.

The KGB also planned a probably simultaneous operation in which DRG commandos would descend on the Hungry Horse Dam at night, take control of it for a few hours, sabotage its sluices. Two large caches, code named Park and Kemi, were sighted in northwestern Montana, almost certainly for use by the saboteurs.

Other arms caches in the northern United States include two in Minnesota code named Aquarium 1 and Aquarium 2. I want to emphasize in our book Vasili Mitrokhin and I did not seek to sensationalize these caches. On the contrary, we avoided giving even the approximate locations of any of them for reasons of public safety. Any or all of them may now be in dangerous condition. But on the basis of inside information apparently from somebody in the United States with access to Mitrokhin's material, ''Nightline'' has correctly identified the location of one of them as Minnesota sites, as in the Brainerd region.

What's near Brainerd?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
The woods are lovely, dark and deep...

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#27]
This came out shortly before I did some time over there.

I think everyone there read it.  We were always joking about running across a 7-11 sign out in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Mitrokhin also transcribed the finding aids to three radio caches in Belgium. I won't go through the details. That is described in my written evidence. In the Austrian, Swiss, and Belgian examples, the fact that the authorities had learned the location of the caches from the Mitrokhin archive had not been revealed until the publication last month of our book, The Sword and the Shield. There is no doubt that similar caches exist in the United States.

The United States, ''the main adversary,'' to quote KGB jargon, was, of course, an enormously more important target for KGB sabotage operations than Austria, Switzerland, or Belgium. Though Mr. Mitrokhin didn't transcribe the detailed finding aids to any of the KGB arms caches in the United States, his notes make clear that these caches were an integral part of sabotage operations against U.S. targets. KGB files revealed, for example, that in 1966, KGB sabotage and intelligence groups, DRG's, to quote their acronym, largely composed of Sandinista guerrillas, were established on the Mexican-U.S. border with support bases in the area of Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, and Ensenada. The Sandinista leader, Carlos Fonseca Amador, code named Hydrologist, his KGB code name, was a trusted KGB agent. His file was noted by Mitrokhin.

Among the chief sabotage targets across the U.S.-Mexican border were military bases, missile sites, radar installations, and the oil pipeline code named START, which ran from El Paso in Texas to Costa Mesa in California. Three sites on the California coast were selected for DRG landings, together with large capacity caches in which to support mines, explosives, detonators, other sabotage material. A support group code named Saturn was tasked with using the movements of migrant workers to conceal the transfer of agents and the munitions across the borders. And further details of that are given in my written testimony.

Canada in the north, like Mexico in the south, was intended as a base for cross-border operations by DRGs against the main adversary. In 1967 a number of frontier crossings were reconnoitered, among them areas near the Lake of the Woods and the International Falls in Minnesota and in the regions of the Glacier National Park in Montana.

According to a KGB file, and it may well be right, one of its targets in Montana, the Flathead Dam, I quote, ''generated the largest power supply system in the world,'' end quotes, which is why it was a major KGB target. It identified a point, code named Doris, on the South Fork River about three kilometers below the dam where a DRG could bring down a series of pylons on a steep mountain slope that would take a lengthy period to repair.

The KGB also planned a probably simultaneous operation in which DRG commandos would descend on the Hungry Horse Dam at night, take control of it for a few hours, sabotage its sluices. Two large caches, code named Park and Kemi, were sighted in northwestern Montana, almost certainly for use by the saboteurs.

Other arms caches in the northern United States include two in Minnesota code named Aquarium 1 and Aquarium 2. I want to emphasize in our book Vasili Mitrokhin and I did not seek to sensationalize these caches. On the contrary, we avoided giving even the approximate locations of any of them for reasons of public safety. Any or all of them may now be in dangerous condition. But on the basis of inside information apparently from somebody in the United States with access to Mitrokhin's material, ''Nightline'' has correctly identified the location of one of them as Minnesota sites, as in the Brainerd region.

What's near Brainerd?

Camp Ripley.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Camp Ripley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's near Brainerd?

Camp Ripley.

Gross.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
FWIW, the first 5.45X39 cases I ever saw were in the hands of an Alaskan who said he found them on a remote beach, sometime in the early 1980s. This was at a point in time when the AK-74 was something being desperately sought by the folks at Soldier of Fortune, and when nobody at any of the military technical intelligence units had even seen the ammo or the rifle in the flesh.

Take that for what it's worth--I think they were up there, doing God knows what. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, but there it is. I know I saw those cases, and it was waaaaaaaaaay before the era of cheap 5.45mm surplus coming in. Hell, back then? You couldn't even find 7.62X39 very easily, and it was only available from Interarms for the Maadi or the Valmet imports they brought in. Seeing Soviet fired cases was... Bizarre.

Funny thing was, when I brought up the issue with the Military Intelligence types, and the SF Group there at Fort Lewis, I got two stories: One, "You must be mistaken...", and two, "Oh, yeah, we already know alllllll about that...". I still am not too sure what the official story was supposed to be.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#31]
OST
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FWIW, the first 5.45X39 cases I ever saw were in the hands of an Alaskan who said he found them on a remote beach, sometime in the early 1980s. This was at a point in time when the AK-74 was something being desperately sought by the folks at Soldier of Fortune, and when nobody at any of the military technical intelligence units had even seen the ammo or the rifle in the flesh.

Take that for what it's worth--I think they were up there, doing God knows what. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, but there it is. I know I saw those cases, and it was waaaaaaaaaay before the era of cheap 5.45mm surplus coming in. Hell, back then? You couldn't even find 7.62X39 very easily, and it was only available from Interarms for the Maadi or the Valmet imports they brought in. Seeing Soviet fired cases was... Bizarre.

Funny thing was, when I brought up the issue with the Military Intelligence types, and the SF Group there at Fort Lewis, I got two stories: One, "You must be mistaken...", and two, "Oh, yeah, we already know alllllll about that...". I still am not too sure what the official story was supposed to be.
View Quote

Have you posted this on ARF before?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm sure many went back but I doubt all could resist not just continuing on with the lives they were leading in relative western comfort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All those Russians stayed after the wall fell, they now run trucking companies around Chicago O'hare/Elk Grove Village.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's fascinating. Any other sources for stories about 5.45 cases found in Alaska?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Not regular Soviet Army, but there is some evidence that the KGB was operating within CONUS, complete with equipment caches near high value targets:

Popular mechanics article
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well it's kind of hard to overlook the legions of their intelligence people crawling all over Europe and North America, especially their funding and support of political groups.   That's doing more damage still than their military probably ever would.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Partly that, and partly the US being a free and open society. We had spying to find out things there that here would have been broadcast on the evening news.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The woods are lovely, dark and deep...

View Quote

But I have promises to keep...

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Very interesting topic, feel free to post more.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I think I have. At the time, I was a very junior Sergeant in a line unit at Fort Lewis, and I saw this out at a friend's place when his "crazy uncle from Alaska" brought out his stuff to show off. I couldn't get him to give me one of the cases, but I know what I saw, and measured it and sketched the headstamps. My notes and measurements were consistent with real Soviet 5.45 ammo, headstamp dates from the late 1970s. I tried getting some attention drawn to it, but nobody was interested that I could talk to--And, the old guy was sketchy as hell about it all, too. He was afraid the CIA was going to come for him...
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well it's kind of hard to overlook the legions of their intelligence people crawling all over Europe and North America, especially their funding and support of political groups.   That's doing more damage still than their military probably ever would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's change you can believe in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would probably be Peter Kokalis.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#43]
They definitely took an interest in Nike missile bases in NY.

I have some family stories, but I don't think anything made it to print.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's fascinating. Any other sources for stories about 5.45 cases found in Alaska?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I've ever heard of, from that time frame. If the story about how he found them was true, then it would have been sometime around '83-'84ish, when he found them on a beach after hearing "people firing funny-sounding guns on full auto...". The old guy was a Vietnam-era combat vet, so he knew what weapons sounded like on automatic. The story was that he'd been in one inlet, heard full-auto fire, and went to see what the hell was going on. When he got to where he thought it was fired, he found the cases on the beach. They looked "funny", so he picked them up to show someone. When he reported it to the Alaska State Patrol, they pretty much blew him off. When he pulled them out for me, we'd been talking guns, and he was like "Maybe you know what these funny cases are that I found a few years ago...".

I still don't know what to make of that shit, to be honest. It was a couple of years past the timeframe it happened, and I'm still sort of "WTF? Why would the Soviets be on a beach, firing weapons on full auto, in bumfuck Alaska? And, wouldn't the Soviet Navy have been more likely to have 7.62X39 AKM rifles, at that time, anyway? And, shouldn't the GRU have been using weapons that would have been deniable, not unique front-line 5.45mm that was still damn near a state secret at the time?".

Doesn't make a damn bit of sense, but that was what I saw, and what I was told about how he'd found 'em.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#45]
About 15-20 years ago I attended a school with a bunch of the Alaska National Guard Scout guys that recounted a bunch of crazy incidents that took place back in during the 80's. They all seemed legit to me.

Quoted:

Yeah, I think I have. At the time, I was a very junior Sergeant in a line unit at Fort Lewis, and I saw this out at a friend's place when his "crazy uncle from Alaska" brought out his stuff to show off. I couldn't get him to give me one of the cases, but I know what I saw, and measured it and sketched the headstamps. My notes and measurements were consistent with real Soviet 5.45 ammo, headstamp dates from the late 1970s. I tried getting some attention drawn to it, but nobody was interested that I could talk to--And, the old guy was sketchy as hell about it all, too. He was afraid the CIA was going to come for him...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not that I've ever heard of, from that time frame. If the story about how he found them was true, then it would have been sometime around '83-'84ish, when he found them on a beach after hearing "people firing funny-sounding guns on full auto...". The old guy was a Vietnam-era combat vet, so he knew what weapons sounded like on automatic. The story was that he'd been in one inlet, heard full-auto fire, and went to see what the hell was going on. When he got to where he thought it was fired, he found the cases on the beach. They looked "funny", so he picked them up to show someone. When he reported it to the Alaska State Patrol, they pretty much blew him off. When he pulled them out for me, we'd been talking guns, and he was like "Maybe you know what these funny cases are that I found a few years ago...".

I still don't know what to make of that shit, to be honest. It was a couple of years past the timeframe it happened, and I'm still sort of "WTF? Why would the Soviets be on a beach, firing weapons on full auto, in bumfuck Alaska? And, wouldn't the Soviet Navy have been more likely to have 7.62X39 AKM rifles, at that time, anyway? And, shouldn't the GRU have been using weapons that would have been deniable, not unique front-line 5.45mm that was still damn near a state secret at the time?".

Doesn't make a damn bit of sense, but that was what I saw, and what I was told about how he'd found 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine once told me a story about coming across 5.45 brass in Grenada. That would have had to have been in the winter of '83.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You must have missed the part of BMB where they discuss after the fall of the wall the Ruskies admitted that the crews of their subs were officers doing many roles and unmotivated and untrained conscripts.

Not to mention the many lost Russian subs they'll never admit.

Great book though.

View Quote

The greatest weakness of the Soviet Navy, beyond a doubt.  All technical knowledge was found in the Officers and Michmen (Warrant Officers).  Many of their enlisted conscripts could not even speak Russian - which makes for a very difficult situation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But because we put so much trust in those low-level people, the damage was equally severe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:08:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, what were they shooting at?

It seems to me as though you start to attract attention when you get all bangie-bangie.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Soviet AGI's operated off our naval bases nearly continuously throughout the '70's-'80's just in international waters.
View Quote

Hell, they steamed along with our battlegroups.  

We assigned our AGI a station in the screen once just to keep them out of the way.  They kept station better than the Spanish Navy did, and broke maneuvering signals faster and flawlessly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top