Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 7:55:30 PM EDT
Just wondering.  I was working on mine all day trying to "dial in" the carbs.  After riding a stocker since '96 I finally went and got some pipes and a K&N.

DG84
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
1 banshee owner checking in. Maybe someday ill go out to Glamis.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
1 rider! whoo hoo!  

i also tried to jump a honda 500,  big mistake!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've actually owned two,  the first I bought new in '87 for 3G's. Soon there after it became a rolling test bed for after market goodies as well as homemade equipment.  I'll try to remember some of the mods:

homebuilt nerfs before buying the real thing

homebuilt front stabilizer (sway bar)

home built rear lowering strut before purchasing one

homebuilt headlight out of automotive head light

mod'd the upper "J" arm into an "A" arm  (should've patened it, it worked great but Yamaha eventually corrected that oversight

beeefed up the rear axle carrier mount with 1/2" bolts and a cross bar (another correction Yamaha made later)

braced the front upper frame area

recovered the seat myself

Dick Cepeck spider tracks for Hill climbs
Turf Tamers for normal trail riding
Scat Tracks for sand hills and sand drags
Hoosiers for flat track racing
(replace the butter soft stock rims if Yamaha has overlooked this prob)

Axecaliber +2 (I think) rear axle

Works Performance rear shock (POS)

painted the frame silver(the quad required so much maitenance it seems I had it stripped to the bare frame fairly regular)

aftermarket bars, Oury grips, mastercylinder guard and twist throttle

elimanated the POS parking brake and key lock

drilled the rear rotor (the second one, I warped the first)

FMF gold midrange pipes and silencers

"flexier" reed valves (dont remember the name)

K/N filters mounted on homemade ram type intake(this and the pipes really helped the low and midrange tremendously)

milled head and bored cylinders aftermarket pistons  (most of the machine work was performed by Phil Darcy in Haltom cty)

aftermarket handgurads and EBC brake pads

this quad was stolen along with my truck and a TON of riding gear, the day the first Gulf war started, and never returned. this was out of a semi secure parking lot in view of the guard shack!!!!
Ins paid me 3Gs.........

The second one I found was the same year model. I saw it in a used car lot and it would not run but was other wise in good cond. (paid $700) I eventually found a loose wire was the problem after the shop tried to charge me $500 to "try" to fix it.  The only mod I did to this Quad was to drill two one inch holes in the airbox to eliminate a flat spot in the midrange.   I later sold it + a ton of gear and got out of the motorized off road scene.  I shall return though, as soon as my three years old son is old enough to begin riding...........

BTW I got real good at sync'ing those twin carbs and also doing ring replacemants in short order.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
one other thing, its too bad you live 2500 miles away, I would have considered helping you out with those carbs I remember at first it was a real Bitch...........
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the Banshee is a good machine, but I think it is uglier than hell. Even worse with the yellow limited edition. I ride a Blaster.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
[b]Ugly!?![/b]

best looking quad on the market!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just wondering.  I was working on mine all day trying to "dial in" the carbs.  After riding a stocker since '96 I finally went and got some pipes and a K&N.

DG84
View Quote

got any pics of your quad?  I will try to scan some conventional pics  of mine and post them later....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Big Bear 400 here..
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
OK - It's almost a 1000 mile pilgrimage for me to make the journey to Glamis the Mecca of Banshee riders... But here is a shot of my ride still on the trailer @ sunrise.

[img]http://gab.specialservicesmfg.com/pics/banshee1b.jpg[/img]

It is wearing the appropriate footwear - Razor backs up front with some radical Paddles in the rear. - The Airbox has been given the proper mods so that the aircleaner won't slip off as stock ones do, causing catastrophic engine failure by sand.

I have made the trip many times, and always in the company of good friends. I missed out this year... but then again, the year isn't over yet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool ride Prof!  I made the trek up to Little Sahara (NW Oklahoma) quite often when I was riding.  The sand is the only way to go with a machine like the Banshee.  I used Scat Trak straights in the rear along with razor backs in the front, this was the only way to tame the hit of power the Banshee twin would put out.  I tried Sliders but they just would not cut it!  Pulling a wheely in any gear at just about any speed was a real rush too.  We spent many hours hanging out at the biggest dunes cathing big air and drag racing............
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Little Sahara,

Here we go guys... ride in April...
I am on the right...
[img]http://fototime.com/A8986F1E53D077D/standard.jpg[/img]

[img]http://fototime.com/BD6EA5C488936A9/standard.jpg[/img]

[img]http://fototime.com/2C07C76DD722E51/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Suzuki LTZ-400

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/jeff.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the Banshee.

[img]http://forums.bansheehq.com/files/smallknik02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Bung, how do you like your Z-400?  Have you had any problems with the frame?  Heard some rumors that they're a little weak around the front shocks.  I'm in the market for a new 4 stroke sport quad.  Think I'm going to wait and see what Yamaha or Honda comes out with.

DG84
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't do any crazy jumping so I think my frame should last me a while, hopefully. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a Yahmaha Grizzly 600.

It's fun becuase it goes really fast.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've clocked my Z with a GPS unit at 73 mph and I wasn't close to the rev limiter. I'd like to go down 2 teeth in the rear for a little more top speed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#19]
01 Yamaha Warrior w/some mods, its no banshee, but it'll get the job done!

Bung- i did my homework on that resprocketing job...go one tooth larger in the front instead of two smaller in the back..youll get a bigger gain in top end. by goin one tooth up in the front...you'll get roughly 4-7mph more w/out loosing too much low end grunt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I ride an '85 RZ350. I test drove a Banshee the first year they came out. MY GAWD!!!!! What an awsome machine!

But I think the Warrior fits my needs and desires a bit better. Not quite the all-out-on-the-edge machine the Banshee is, plus it has reverse. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Bung,
73,that seems fast.  Have you done anything to it?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I went from a warrior to a banshee, now a raptor.  I would of kept the banshee, but I put prodesign pipes on it and never could get the carbs perfect, no matter what.  Sold it to my cousin, who got it close, then drove it into a wall.  I drove him home on my my raptor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top