Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2016 3:19:39 AM EDT

New York election officials are bracing for a mess at the polls because they expect many Bernie Sanders voters will show up who can’t vote.

Only registered Democrats and Republicans are allowed to cast ballots Tuesday in the closed primary, but election officials have been getting an earful from independent voters peeved the deadline to change their party registration was Oct. 9 – long before the presidential election was on their radar.

“I’m going to predict that a lot of Sanders people who come from the ranks of independent voters are not actually registered Democrats and they will cause lines and waits at the poll sites while they attempt to vote affidavit ballots or obtain court orders to vote,” said John Conklin, a spokesman for the state Board of Elections.

Unlike other states, New York allows only registered party members to vote in their respective primaries. So the 5.3 million registered Democrats can vote for Sanders or Hillary Clinton and the 2.6 million Republicans can vote for Donald Trump, John Kasich or Ted Cruz. But nearly 3 million independents and other party members are shut out.

Judges, the NYPD and poll workers are on alert for potential chaos, officials say.

Protests are planned for noon Thursday at City Hall to rail against New York’s closed primary and last year’s October deadline to change party affiliations.

“Many, many people will be shut out of voting in what very well may be the most important election in a generation in New York state,” said Jeremy Gruber, senior vice president at Open Primaries, a nonpartisan group organizing the New York rally.

“No one should have to join a party to exercise their right to vote,” he added. “We’re a democracy.”

Link

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
tough shit.

Learn about the rules.

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:25:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
“Many, many people will be shut out of voting in what very well may be the most important election in a generation in New York state,” said Jeremy Gruber, senior vice president at Open Primaries, a nonpartisan group organizing the New York rally.

“No one should have to join a party to exercise their right to vote,” he added. “We’re a democracy.”

View Quote

Is it too much to ask that a senior vice president of a special interest group understand how the interest in question works?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess folks don't know that the primary elections are administered by the state for the parties who run candidates.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
What's wrong with his nose?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Yet the Democrats and Republicans will want the Independents voting for them in the general election.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess folks don't know that the primary elections are administered by the state for the parties who run candidates.
View Quote

They are, quite literally, state funded and assisted elections for private organizations.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I was fucking at wit's end trying to explain what a closed primary was to mongoloids and retards upset they could not vote for Trump or Rubio
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL
View Quote

I guarantee it won't just be Bernie supporters bitching at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait until people who registered for the wrong party start trading ballots in the middle of the polling place...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

You should realize that both Bernie and Trump are generating a ton of excitement which is the exact thing you need to win an election.
Those same people who you denigrate now will be able to vote no matter what in the general.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Two parties primaries should not be held the same day, and IMHO all primaries should be open. You may live in a heavily represented area by one party and you are not of that party you should be allowed to vote IF they change the rules
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You should realize that both Bernie and Trump are generating a ton of excitement which is the exact thing you need to win an election.
Those same people who you denigrate now will be able to vote no matter what in the general.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Trump and Rubio were causing the most people to lose their cool here in Miami
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Two parties primaries should not be held the same day, and IMHO all primaries should be open. You may live in a heavily represented area by one party and you are not of that party you should be allowed to vote IF they change the rules
View Quote

I don't mind the closed primary, but the ridiculous thing is that they made the deadline for changing parties last year if you wanted to vote this year.
It only takes them a couple of days to process the changes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't mind the closed primary, but the ridiculous thing is that they made the deadline for changing parties last year if you wanted to vote this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like they don't want you to vote
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

First retard I guarantee you when he gets his democratic ballot with Sanders, Clinton will start ranting and raving as to why Donald Trump is not on his ballot
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Wonder if this the reason trumps kids can't vote for him. They didn't get off the dem list in time.  Being life long Republicans and all that.......
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I got fucked on the NYS governor primary because I was registered independent.
I had reregestered way before the primary and still couldn't vote.
I had to wait for the "change" to go through until after the Governors vote.
Now the wife and I are registered R.

Fuck you Cuomo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/usa-election_sanders4.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=835

New York election officials are bracing for a mess at the polls because they expect many Bernie Sanders voters will show up who can’t vote.

Only registered Democrats and Republicans are allowed to cast ballots Tuesday in the closed primary, but election officials have been getting an earful from independent voters peeved the deadline to change their party registration was Oct. 9 – long before the presidential election was on their radar.

"I’m going to predict that a lot of Sanders people who come from the ranks of independent voters are not actually registered Democrats and they will cause lines and waits at the poll sites while they attempt to vote affidavit ballots or obtain court orders to vote,” said John Conklin, a spokesman for the state Board of Elections.

Unlike other states, New York allows only registered party members to vote in their respective primaries. So the 5.3 million registered Democrats can vote for Sanders or Hillary Clinton and the 2.6 million Republicans can vote for Donald Trump, John Kasich or Ted Cruz. But nearly 3 million independents and other party members are shut out.

Judges, the NYPD and poll workers are on alert for potential chaos, officials say.

Protests are planned for noon Thursday at City Hall to rail against New York’s closed primary and last year’s October deadline to change party affiliations.

"Many, many people will be shut out of voting in what very well may be the most important election in a generation in New York state,” said Jeremy Gruber, senior vice president at Open Primaries, a nonpartisan group organizing the New York rally.

"No one should have to join a party to exercise their right to vote,” he added. "We’re a democracy.”

Link
View Quote
Shit.... that is a long date.

Florida closed registration one month before the polls opened. February 15th. Voting was on March 15th.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was fucking at wit's end trying to explain what a closed primary was to mongoloids and retards upset they could not vote for Trump or Rubio
View Quote
¿Que? Why I no vote por Don Trum y el Chico Marco?

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both the GOP and Democrats have weaved themselves into State Laws in such a manner as to prevent other parties from gaining ground and to control the populace.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Very simple to explain... The primaries are for the members of a party to select their candidate.  It is not a general populace popularity contest.   Registering as NPA says you don't want to be part of a party - your choice.  Registering as an Independent means you are joining the Independent party (i.e., not a D or R or Green or Communist or...).  If no Independent is running it is because your 'party' has decided not to select a candidate.  All this 'I can't vote' crap in the primaries is stupid.  Want to really see a libs head explode?  Ask him how many votes have been cast to elect Hiilary, Bernis, Trump, Cruz, Santa Claus as president.  The answer?  ZERO!  The parties are in the middle of nominations to select somebody to try and be elected.  Having a popular vote in elections is a fairly recent addition to the process and is mostly moot since party delegates to the party's convention are the ones who actually choose the candidate.  The individual party rules determine how long (if at all) the delegate is 'bound' to a candidate.  Party's candidate, Party's rules.  The General Election is where the popular vote counts for something and determines which PARTY'S candidate wins in the state (yes, this is the simplified version and I purposely left out the Electoral College process).

If you want to influence a party's choice and platform, join that party and get involved.  Otherwise shut up and wait for the General Election and make your choice between the options given.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#24]

"Independents."

lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Independents."

lol
View Quote

Better than In-Depends.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very simple to explain... The primaries are for the members of a party to select their candidate.  It is not a general populace popularity contest.   Registering as NPA says you don't want to be part of a party - your choice.  Registering as an Independent means you are joining the Independent party (i.e., not a D or R or Green or Communist or...).  If no Independent is running it is because your 'party' has decided not to select a candidate.  All this 'I can't vote' crap in the primaries is stupid.  Want to really see a libs head explode?  Ask him how many votes have been cast to elect Hiilary, Bernis, Trump, Cruz, Santa Claus as president.  The answer?  ZERO!  The parties are in the middle of nominations to select somebody to try and be elected.  Having a popular vote in elections is a fairly recent addition to the process and is mostly moot since party delegates to the party's convention are the ones who actually choose the candidate.  The individual party rules determine how long (if at all) the delegate is 'bound' to a candidate.  Party's candidate, Party's rules.  The General Election is where the popular vote counts for something and determines which PARTY'S candidate wins in the state (yes, this is the simplified version and I purposely left out the Electoral College process).

If you want to influence a party's choice and platform, join that party and get involved.  Otherwise shut up and wait for the General Election and make your choice between the options given.

View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Too late. The FSA beat them to it
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The private clubs get to set their own rules...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Screen name?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
tough shit.

Learn about the rules.

Oh, wait...
View Quote

"So unfair!"
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is it too much to ask that a senior vice president of a special interest group understand how the interest in question works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do understand.  That's why they are trying to destroy the process.

Direct democracy is tyranny of the majority, and it's part of a concerted effort to destroy our republic.  They know exactly what they're doing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or don't give your vote to the party that didn't want it, and watch them lose.

If the parties want to play all, "We're private clubs and you're not invited," that's fine.  But then those party members have no grounds for complaint when their hand-picked candidate loses the general election.  More than 40% of all voters are not party-aligned.  Telling that many voters, "No, you can fuck off, we don't need you," seems counterproductive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm independent and my state is not a closed primary and I can select a dem (red color, don't know why), rep (blue color, don't know why), green (green color) besides absent (yellow) ballot at the polls. I mention the colors as it kind of takes away from the "private" part of voting some. Anyway, what happens in a closed primary as in do you only have a choice of say in the above of Bernie and Hillary or can you do a write in if you wish for say Trump, Cruz or whomever on your ballot? It seems you can't as stated Trumps kids didn't change over in time to be able to cast a vote. Just a curiosity question.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had actual family members from different parties arguing in the booths, we are not even allowed to discuss party affliation or candidates.Mom says my son voted for Dough Na Troom, son says Ma!!!, mom says to me can he get another ballot to vote for Rubio. Kid says Ma!!! Hilarious
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wait until people who registered for the wrong party start trading ballots in the middle of the polling place...
View Quote
Can't happen in Florida
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree. I think all primaries should be closed. Why should non party members get a say in the nominee of a party? That would be like having non citizens getting a vote in who runs the country..
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

These are PARTY primaries. Their primary, their rules.

Feel free to write your choice in come November if they don't make the cut.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are fairly powerful third parties in NY on the state and local level
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both the GOP and Democrats have weaved themselves into State Laws in such a manner as to prevent other parties from gaining ground and to control the populace.  
There are fairly powerful third parties in NY on the state and local level
Who was the guy running for president I saw in a commercial from a prison cell when I went back to NYC for a few days about 15 years ago?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#42]
lol...

Riots....
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#43]
That should make things quite interesting for the Republicans.  Has anyone looked at how the candidates fair on closed rather than open primaries?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That should make things quite interesting for the Republicans.  Has anyone looked at how the candidates fair on closed rather than open primaries?
View Quote

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw where Cruz does better in closed primary states than Trump. But KY is a closed primary and Trump won here so I don't think there's any real way to say.

I'm predicting Trump carrying most of the North East, and I'm saying this as a Cruz guy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then they should organize and pay for the primary elections themselves.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  That's how it was originally.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
The primary should be for the party to choose their candidate.  It is up to the party to balance various considerations in doing this, including the candidate's positions, history, loyalty, and electability.  The purpose of the party is to influence politics by supporting candidates.  It has nothing to do with backing the most popular person, but has much to do with getting the candidate that will help the party's influence the most elected.

Suppose there is a very popular personality, who does not fit either parties agenda.  He could win with either parties support, but it would be an empty win for the party.  Meanwhile, both parties believe they have candidates that can win and actually support the party's platform.   Mr Popular should never be on the ballet.  Closed primaries allow the parties to actually choose their candidates rather than be hijacked by others.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I can already hear the outraged squeals of disenfranchisement.

"The establishment stole my vote! Six months ago! By making me too lazy and ignorant to follow the rules!"
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not agree with the "open" aspect.  If you want to vote in the primary for a certain party, be registered for that party according to your state rules.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trump typically has a rougher time in closed primaries. I can definitely see him not making 50% and losing out on quite a few delegates.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top