Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 11:43:26 AM EDT
I have one more week of school before I can send off my application to the State. Looks like a interesting (and lucrative) career field.
Anyone in the biz have a few words of wisdom for a newbie?

echo(no I wont hit your number)6
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife is a CREA.  Seems to be a bit of a strange profession as there seems to be very few "larger" firms that offer any bennies.  She is strictly paid 55% of the gross fee; and is considered an independant contractor.  You pay all taxes and expenses. ( If you stick with it, go out on your own ASAP.)  Have a good computer and digital camera, although the camera will only last a year or so.  Drive a Toyota because you will put on lots of miles each year.  When it rains, it pours; like now.  She could work 7 days a week now, because it's been so busy with low refinancing rates and a generally strong RE market here in CT.  A few years back when it was slow she would only get 3-5 jobs a week,  it's almost that a day now.  After all is said and done she grossed about 75K last year and probably had 15K expenses, and pay quarterlies of around 4K.  I expect it to slow down as interest rates go up probably end of 03 or into 04.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My daughter got her license at age 18, intending to make a career of it. She quickly discovered that it is a trade of feast or famine. In good times, like when there is a lot of re-fis going on, they do great. In other times, you would make a better living panhandling. The state of California encouraged a lot of people to do it because, at the time they were encouraging, there was a real demand. So a lot of people got licensed, and then the economy changed and few of them are still in the field.

If you can manage to make a living at it, and keep yourself whole through the bad times (and there will be bad times), it is a great job. Lots of independence and pretty decent pay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top