Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 11:25:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
nope, you need a little more spark to fire platinum, and if its an old shit box i wouldnt trust the ignition system to give it, you might actually lose power
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used them in multiple different vehicles mostly with the same result...  (Bosch Platnum)

The vehicle ran like a SOB for about a month then the plugs would be fouled out.  one time I ran the Bosch double platnum in the BMW I had at the time.. those ran really good the regular platnums still fouled out in that vehicle.

You wont do wrong if you stick with OEM, thats what I would do.  What kind of vehicle is this anyway?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have run the cheapest $1.29 spark plugs in my cars for years and everyone elses I work on. And I have never had a problem just did a tune up a week ago the people requested those platinum things so I am curious as to how long they will last. Personally I say a waste of money.

KC
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
nope wilson, this is sadly enough, not my KW, just a pic i found

only KW we currently have is a T300 bobtail propane rig

but if i had 120,000 handy i'd buy me the damndest KW to drive around in you wouldnt believe it, to hell with that little bitty crew cab im driving now.  class A with haz mat, air brakes, and tanker endorsements btw
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Save the platinum for a Bling-Bling rifle!

:)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Save your self money or the headache (Or both if your a do-it-yourselfer) and go OEM plugs.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Most new vehicles come OEM with platinum plugs.
Until recently, most after-market platinum plugs (especially Bosch)were susceptible to fouling out because, as stated above, weak ignition systems couldn't supply sufficient energy for maximum thermal efficiency.

Bosch redesigned there platinum plugs and they are now 100% better. Instead of just the tip being made of platinum, there is now a solid core of platinum inside the plug. The threads are nickle-plated because the older plugs tended to sieze-up in aluminum cylinder heads.

My 2000 Chevy truck has 70k miles on it, still with the original platinum plugs (AC Delco)and still runs great.

I usually give my customers a choice between resistor plugs and platinum, unless the vehicle specifially requires them.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top