Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2003 9:15:57 AM EDT
After 22 years, the pain is finally over.  I'm finally done with school!  Its official, at 11:42am today, I handed in my last test and called it quits on school for the rest of my life.(Although I'm telling my parents I'm getting my PHD now!) No more $80 law school books, no more worrying about grades, no more playing snood while listening to a babbling prick in the front of the room and definately not a second more of hearing my girlfriend bitch about spending more time with her instead of my books.

So now its time to drink, look for a job and pass the damn bar.  I'll get a jump start on #1 right now!  

So what's your highest level of education?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!

I am dumb ass who only graduated HS.

When is the party?  Come up to CT for some beers and ammo on me!

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations, Balzac! An outstanding achievement, that you can be proud of.

Now, go pass the bar and start litigating to rid us of these horrendous victim disarmament laws. We need you badly in MA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
BS in Mechanical Engineering
MBA

Maybe law school sometime down the road, but not right now.

Edited to say...  Congrats Balzac.  You got my 223 post.  Cool!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats! Come on out to the Hun Farm here in Texas to celebrate!

hehe...

Next gatherings: Memorial day weekend, and July 4th weekend.

I thought about going to law school, but it would take too much time and cost more money...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
B.S.E.E.

I could do the job I have now knowing what I did after high school though.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats! Lawyer type eh? Well at least you're a progun lawyer type. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! i'm halfway through a BA right now
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]
JD for me. Did it while working full time as an LEO. Not fun, but worth the effort.

Take your GF out for a nice dinner, drink until you can't stand and then hit the BAR (exam that is!).

At 40 w/ 2 kids, a mortgage, home equity loan, coaching T Ball, keeping a small practice going and supervising 80 people at work I long to jump back on the educational gray train.[:(] Either that or become a lifeguard. [;)]

Good luck and congrats !!! [banana]

Edited because Law School did not teach me how to spell.

Edited again to ask when is the ARFCOM graduation party? [beer]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Ph.D in organic chemistry.  Wife got her Pharm.D. last saturday.  Congrats on all of your hard work!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice work from one J.D. to another.  

Advice: don't get too stressed about the bar.  Be confident in what you know. (this is coming from someone who absolutely choked on the first one, and absolutely did not care on the second time around--that's what got me through and helped me pass on the second one, I just was not a bit nervous).  

Bar/Bri is pretty good, just know it cold.  

Good luck.  Now go get a job where you can have fun and not be stressed every second (i.e. NOT a lawyer!)  

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#11]
b.a. secondary education (7-12), majors in history and poly sci.

started my masters in history, gave up halfway thru to make money.

bsme, the last 23 years as an aerospace design engineer.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
congratulations, now the real education starts

BS, Civil Engineer
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Took me nine years to complete my Associates Degree.  Taking the walk next week.  WooHoo!

Starting on my BS in the fall.

Maybe another 5-6 years to go.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I handed in my last test and called it quits on school for the rest of my life
View Quote

Thats what you think.

I have two words for you, "Continuing Education" [;)]

echo6
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Master of Science
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats. on the J.D.  I'm still paying law school student loans, myself, and probably always will be.  A tip for the bar, only study for the week right before the bar exam.  Screw bar review courses.  Just get some old multi-states and go through them and your state stuff for about a week, and then take the test.  Don't sweat it.  Look at all the goofy-ass liberal schmucks out there practicing that passed the bar.  Good luck in the job hunt.  (the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals has an opening for a clerk right now.  A judicial clerkship is a fantastic experience and will really help you get a job afterward.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Dropped out of High School, went on to attend the University of Life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Way to go brother!  It's party time!

I don't have a degree,
I have a degrot.
And while a degree shows what you know,
A degrot shows what you know not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
BS - General Engineering, United States Naval Academy
MS - Industrial Engineering, University of Miami
MBA - University of Miami

One day I'd like to get a PhD....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So now its time to drink, look for a job and pass the damn bar.  I'll get a jump start on #1 right now!  
View Quote

Welcome to the worst legal job market in recent memory.  At least here in Texas.  Worse even than when I was looking for my first lawyer job in '92.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]

So what's your highest level of education?[/quote]

JD, UNC School of Law, 1975. Shortly after passing the bar decided to go into honest work instead.

BTW, you might want to reverse the order of your current priorities. The bar exam is a miserable experience, and you need to keep your wits about you. Or at least within reach.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a B.A. in General Studies (disciplines are Math, Physics, and Engineering, but it's still a B[u]A[/u]) but I have my P.E. license (E.E.) so it must have been good for something!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#23]
BA, University of Maryland College Park. GO TERPS. '93.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#25]
CONGRATS! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I handed in my last test and called it quits on school for the rest of my life
View Quote

Thats what you think.

I have two words for you, "Continuing Education" [;)]

echo6
View Quote

Preferably in Aspen or the Bahamas.  No tests and they don't call the roll.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
congratulations, now the real education starts

BS, Civil Engineer
View Quote

Couldnt have said it better myself.
BS Air Traffic Management, Certified Flight Instructor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I clicked BS because I'm practically done with my Forestry degree (last exam is at noon on Monday). Then it's off to the real world.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Congratulations.  I remember graduating from college, it was not as eventufl as High School for some reason.

I started in Pre-Med, then irresponsiblity, shooting pool, partying, bowling, skateboarding, night hikes with a .22, welfare checks from the parents, and drivers license all added up to "there's NO WAY you're gonna be a doctor now!"

So I matriculated with some degree that is the polar opposite of my original aspriations, so to speak and now have a job (no, not career) doing something I never expected to be doing.

At least my moms proud. As a kid, I used to blab on to my aunts and relatives in front of my mom that I wanted to be a garbage man!  Oh, how I loved big trucks back then and hydraulic lift systems...MUHAHAHHAHA!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm two quarters short of completing my BS

and right now, I'm out of school due to financial restrictions
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#32]
CONGRATS! Greg, You did it!!

So when do we celebrate??????????????????
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Great Job!

One year left for my BS, then masters, then perhaps a PhD.

Who really wants to start paying college loans anyway? [;)]

Editied due to my hoorific spelling of Masters. [:P]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Congrads. I felt the same a relief. I got my BS in Bus Admin. What lawyer show on the TV are you planning to watch now that you've got some extra time?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations [BEER]

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#36]
This is great.We certainly don't have enough lawyers in this country.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Move to Michigan, no CLE, no age limit, no speciality certs....and the courts forgive anything as long as you have your bar card.

I have had other lawyers blow dates by months and still get the default set aside.

Oh....and with a 150 you multi state in and they don't even grade your essays.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Best wishes Balzac72. I wish I had gone a different route.

Nashville Auto-Diesel College, Class of 79'.

MM419
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]

I'm still in my junior year in HS.

No, I don't look forward to graduation next year.

Then comes the big 'R' word: Responsiblity, ugh!

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Congratulations.  HS grad myself.  I've taken some colleges classes, and I know I need to finish the BA/BS at least. But I have no desire. Especiallay after watching all the peace-niks during the recent events in Iraq.  I'm convinced a "liberal arts" education is just that "Liberal". At 38 years old, serving in the military and been a cop for the past 19 years, I've lived too long in the real world to go back.  I'd just argue with the teachers, and tell them their theories are like diarrhea they just don't hold up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm Exactly 4 weeks behind you.  Graduate June 6 with a DPM degree.  

Glad to be done, but I still have a few years of residency to look forward to.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#42]
THANKS EVERYONE!  This is the first graduation that has really meant something to me, so I appreciate your well wishes!  

As far as the job market goes, I'm one step away from being an Assistant District Attorney, so hopefully I get it.  

The arfcom party is whenever my crew finds it convenient to head out for drinks or whatnot, so i'm guessing sometime after the 18th and i'm good to drink!

The really good news.....NO LOANS.  Not a single one!  YAY ME!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#43]
http://www.hillsdale.edu/collegehistory/

Hillsdale College.  They take no federal money and no federal tinkering.  Their history is interesting and although started by free will Baptists they are non-denominational.  No discrimination.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
THANKS EVERYONE!  This is the first graduation that has really meant something to me, so I appreciate your well wishes!  

As far as the job market goes, I'm one step away from being an Assistant District Attorney, so hopefully I get it.  

The arfcom party is whenever my crew finds it convenient to head out for drinks or whatnot, so i'm guessing sometime after the 18th and i'm good to drink!

The really good news.....NO LOANS.  Not a single one!  YAY ME!
View Quote

First off congratulations on graduating with no loans.  Probably not a common thing.

My niece graduated from University of San Diego Law School and got a job clerking for the County DA while she was taking the BAR.  None of the clerks got a DA job though and after beating the bush for a while she got hired by a well-known female criminal attorney here in Orange County and her first case was assisting in a murder trial..  Three other lawyers in the family.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#46]
High School with some college.... Congrats on finishing.  I quit 6 years ago and joined the AF.  Still in the Air Force and at some point I'd like to go back to school and finish what I started.  That way I'll be an edumacated Aerial Gunner![BD]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Have you considered a rewarding career in the exciting field of quantum physics?  The law is so blasé.  If you start now you could enter the field in another 10 years or so. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Congratulations, that's great news Greg, I'm glad to hear it. Good luck with your future plans. I'm only a HSG myself with some college credits from military training classes.[50]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Another damn lawyer?  [:D]

Congrats!

I was bored all through school, slept almost completely through HS (grad top 12%).  Did go out and get an Associate in Applied Sciences.  

Started on the BS, but decided I had enough of school and continued working FT.  Eventually fell into computers and now make a good living.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top