Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 5:31:56 AM EDT
So, the guys I work for had posted a position as vacant, and the person that was filling that position on an interim basis had to reapply to keep the position. Well, at the end of the process they had two applicants that they felt had the neccessary qualifications; one was the interim person (which is all good and well), but then they decided to keep the other person too, and instead let me go without extending any of the aforementioned courtesies to me.
Yeah, me not happy.[pissed]

We currently have two full-time people in my position, plus me doing it 3/4-time whilst still being able to pull the same load as the full-timers. We had to cut people in subordinate positions due to budget constraints, but now they are going to hire an additional full-timer plus they are giving me consolation position.

Okay, you do the math:
Right now we have one person earning $32,000, one earning $28,000, and me earning $22,000. Also, all three of us get free room and board.
What we are going to is one person earning $32,000, two earning $28,000, plus me doing the consolation thing at $9,250.

Okay, two things - how the hell is it economically viable to increase the department payroll with $15,250 when we were sweating blood trying to cut $10,000 out of our existing payroll?! And how the f@ck did they get it into their heads that a paycut from $22,000 to $9,250 was going to be of any f@cking consolation?! I was going to take my girlfriend to the ol' country and propose to her. Yeah, there's not going to be any money for that now.
[furious] [cuss]

Oh yeah, and of course I'm in Arizona. Can you spell employment at will? I'm going to post a directed question for our local AR15.com-attorneys in a related thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear of your plight. I guess the company will figger out they're spending more $$ come pay day. You didn't mention how long you've been there, or what you do. Age would also be helpful. I'm not sure why you want to consult an attorney....
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry to hear that. In the past I would've trained a person with everything I know, and I will keep silent of everything unless specificially asked. There are companies that are real SOBs. In the past I would have everything to the hilt, not anymore. I will do as little as possible. All of this enabled those companies to replace people with lower-cost FTEs(that's coporate BS for people).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My last job, the boss went to a financial meeting with the owners, came back, & told me do you want today, or tomorrow to be your last day? Dang! I got a wife, & child, a mortgage, etc.. The job before that I had for 13 years, & I gave 2 months notice because I wanted to give them the opportunity to get someone started in training so as to not leave a hole in the "team". Another lesson learned. I was treated poorly for 2 months instead of just 2 weeks. From where I sit you got a raw deal, but it could have been much worse. Like today is your last day. Better get packing, & move your stuff out of your company quarters[:D][nuts]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sorry to hear that. In the past I would've trained a person with everything I know, and now I will keep silent on everything unless specificially asked. There are companies that are real SOBs. In the past I would have documented everything to the hilt, not anymore. I will do as little as possible or not at all. All of this enabled those companies to replace people with lower-cost FTEs(that's coporate BS for people).
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]
My parents are/were PHD's in research and thought that they had jobs untill retirement.
Nope they got canned and replaces with younger cheaper labor.
I used to work for an outfit that started  hired folks from Oklahoma because they worked for less.I kept telling my buddies not to teach them everything and was told that I was paranoid.
We were making $35 per hour on our check and the Okies were getting $18.
Needless to say we were fased out within the year.Quality went down and the boss just got richer.
I don't fault the Oakies,infact they were good guys,it's just that if I give my loyalty I expect it back,but that is living in a dream world when it comes to money.
I've seen lot's of this happen to good folks and I distrust employers/upper managment with a vengance.
Every time I hear a story such as this it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
My eployed dropped me because he tought I was a possible threat to myself and others.  Damn San Jose PRK bastard.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not $15K it's only $6K since they fully expect you to tell them to piss off and go find another job.   The "Consolation job" is a deniable insult.  they can claim that they were just giving you some working severance until you get another job, but really it's just a coward's way out of firing you outright.

As far as the 2 28k positions are concerned, they will try the two foks in those positions out for a while and whoever works harder, produces more, and causes the smallest amount of friction among the staff will be retained, the other will be kissed off as well. 90 to 180 days and that should play out.  So the increase will only be 3k for this year, and next year they'll have a 28k savings until they hire another flunky for 20k or so depending upon how the economy plays out. You also would have to take into account the HR benefits plan the new guy gets...is he going to room and board on site or does he have his own accomodations? What about health insurance?  Does his wife or significant other cover him?  If so,  they can afford to pay him more, but actually spend a lot less on him.  Benefits packages can add up to 30%, or in rare cases 100% of the cost of actually paying the employee. So a less expensive benefits package can make a higher paid employee more economical.

Financial decisions in the corporate world are made based on multi-year plans and the total costs of employment.  So before you try to challenge the change in your status, be sure you understand the entire justification for it.  If you cannot prove falsehood in the decision making process, you have no case.  Likewise, consider the possibility that personality conflicts may have arisen inducing them to find a justification for removing you. Strong personalities often clash with weaker personalities, and those weaker personalities, unable to compete, take the easy way out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You didn't mention how long you've been there, or what you do. Age would also be helpful.
View Quote
I'm in charge of a residence hall (ie dorm) at a college, I've been with the school for a little more than three years. Oh, and I'm 28 going on 29.

I'm not sure why you want to consult an attorney....
View Quote
Hey, if they're gonna flush my life down the toilet I'd be damned if I'm not gonna leave a little bit of shit hanging around the edges.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not $15K it's only $6K since they fully expect you to tell them to piss off and go find another job.   The "Consolation job" is a deniable insult.  they can claim that they were just giving you some working severance until you get another job, but really it's just a coward's way out of firing you outright.
View Quote
I can drag my feet around this place until I find something better. I do have an offer to go down to Phoenix and start making rifles again. We'll see.

As far as the 2 28k positions are concerned, they will try the two foks in those positions out for a while and whoever works harder, produces more, and causes the smallest amount of friction among the staff will be retained, the other will be kissed off as well. 90 to 180 days and that should play out.
View Quote
Actually the only person that might not pan out is the on replacing me, the other person has already worked here for 6 months and has proven to be a very hard worker. They pretty much have to keep my replacement until June 30 of 2004, or they'll have to get me back as I'm the only local person capable and proven.

So the increase will only be 3k for this year, and next year they'll have a 28k savings until they hire another flunky for 20k or so depending upon how the economy plays out. You also would have to take into account the HR benefits plan the new guy gets...is he going to room and board on site or does he have his own accomodations? What about health insurance?  Does his wife or significant other cover him?  If so,  they can afford to pay him more, but actually spend a lot less on him.  Benefits packages can add up to 30%, or in rare cases 100% of the cost of actually paying the employee. So a less expensive benefits package can make a higher paid employee more economical.
View Quote
True, though they're offering the replacement a better package than the one they gave me. Funny the person is their second choice for the advertized vacancy, but they're not pulling any stops to get them to stay.

Likewise, consider the possibility that personality conflicts may have arisen inducing them to find a justification for removing you. Strong personalities often clash with weaker personalities, and those weaker personalities, unable to compete, take the easy way out.
View Quote
I'm not too worried about that being the reason. Also, my performance has been better than they first expected when they hired me; I outdid at least four different people who had had this position previously (they all quit when they couldn't hack it.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top