Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 2:13:43 AM EDT
I have a 2000 Grand Am with a problem. In the last few weeks the turn signals have been working intermitently. They work about 90% of the time but sometimes when I flip the lever, the indicators on the dash don't work. They don't seem to be working externally either because I don't see reflections from the turn signals.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a wiring and/or connector problem since the turn signals work occassionally.
Is it both front and rear?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure if both the front and rear are affected. It seems to always work when I am in a position to get out and check them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a turn signal switch problem to me.  If you move the lever but nothing lights the inital power isn't being sent to the flasher unit, which is really only a breaker.  Have also heard phantom clicks when some switches cancel before the switch fails. Hope it helps.

Dustdevil out
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I just had to replace the turn signal switch in my 94 F-150. It would cancel the cruise control when I tried to signal to the right. That cost me almost $200!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
That's exactly what's going on with my mom's '98 Lumina. Let me know if you track it down before I do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It may just be the flasher relay.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like ya'll should use your car as a target at the next hun farm get-together.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
On my T/A tail light, the bulb gets a little worn at the base.  So the circuit won't work *sometimes*.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it still under warranty?  If not check for good will warranty.  GM just sent me $350 for a windshield wiper motor I had replaced out of the general warranty period.  The circuit board for the motor had a crack and operated intermittently.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the flasher unit first, see if you are getting power to it and try repacing it with a known good flasher. Next... well next you might want to learn a little about electrical circuits and dig up a wiring diagram for your car.
The power flows follows.
Battery,
ignition switch,
fuse panel,
flasher can,
turn signal switch
and finally the turn signal lights.

On, check for good contacts as the fuse, flasher can and bulb bases and finally a good ground circuit. The other items to check you might want to leave to a pro.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]

I have run into this problem several times at my shop. It is usually caused by a tilt steering wheel flex-joint rubbing against a wire harness in the column and grounding it out.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the flasher unit if your car still has them.  On my LeSabre it is a little cylindrical unit the size of a golf ball which sits under the dash.  A new one cost $9 and fixed my problem which was intermitent flasher problems (until one day the flasher stopped working all together).  It took me 10 minutes to replace it.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't forget something as simple as water getting inside the Lamp if you've had a lot of rain lately.
Let us know what you find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top