Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2016 11:09:56 PM EDT
ia/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/20160409_155925_zpsgxpfwvbv.jpg.html][/URL]today. My 30 x 40 detached garage burned to the ground.

lost a vehicle, thousands in tools and shop equipment and 2 lifts.

While it was still burning two agents from 2 different companies show up and offer to make sure my Iinsurance pays me properly and they work for me and only me to make sure the insurance company compensates me correctly to the tune of 10% of the entire claim.

My head is still spinning but everyone is ok and house didnt burn thank god.

I've never been in this situation and feel the need for representation where do i turn?...

update now with pics.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Representation for what?

Look and see what your insurance policy covers. Unless there is some liability you can try and sue someone else for, your insurance is all you have. Not sure why you think you need representation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Well fuck. Glad nobody was hurt. But that sucks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Representation for what?

Look and see what your insurance policy covers. Unless there is some liability you can try and sue someone else for, your insurance is all you have. Not sure why you think you need representation.
View Quote

Very nice of them to take 10% of what you were already going to get.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You do not need some third party to help, they are only their to take.

Contact your Ins company, make an accounting of what was in the garage.
See what the Ins companies offers and go from there. Ins companies will try to depreciate
anything and everything they can, so prepare to fight if you feel they are trying to screw you.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine's house burnt down. That 10% to an agent on "his" side was the best money ever spent. Insurance companies are not your friend.

That 10% you will never miss because without an agent you'd never see it anyways.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had 2 fires, email me immediately. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Today. My 30 x 40 detached garage burned to the ground.

lost a vehicle, thousands in tools and shop equipment and 2 lifts.

While it was still burning two agents from 2 different companies show up and offer to make sure my Iinsurance pays me properly and they work for me and only me to make sure the insurance company compensates me correctly to the tune of 10% of the entire claim.

My head is still spinning but everyone is ok and house didnt burn thank god.

I've never been in this situation and feel the need for representation where do i turn?
View Quote

agents from what companies?
DO NOT MAKE A DECISION WHILE YOUR HEAD IS STILL SPINNING. Sleep on it. I would not trust an ambulance chaser. Talk to red cross, they deal with people who lose everything with house fires.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for your property loss, but at least you and your family are alive.
Most everything else can be replaced.  Most.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, that sucks!

Glad it was only the garage though.

And I would be wary of the fire truck chasers. Deal with your insurance company.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]
What was the casus see of the fire??
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And I would be wary of the fire truck chasers. Deal with your insurance company.
View Quote

Chasers?? Nah, they are the drivers on other days. Also have a clean-up company that receives alerts for every fire. That one is owned by a fireman too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Representation for what?

NO, NO, NO ! You would never get the expected value from your loss. That 10% you would never see.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have had 2 fires, email me immediately. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING.
View Quote

This. My fuckhead agent tried to interview me like a criminal after my fire. I had been up for 30 hours, my family almost fucking died, and that cocksucker tried asking me if I set the house ablaze.

I called the corporate hotline and told them if they send that fucker back I'll beat his ass and he isn't allowed back on my property. Still got fucked out of $20k in the end..at least they paid some.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like the ambulance chasers trying to get some of your insurance money.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A friend of mine's house burnt down. That 10% to an agent on "his" side was the best money ever spent. Insurance companies are not your friend.

That 10% you will never miss because without an agent you'd never see it anyways.
View Quote

I have heard this.

The agent told me that he was a client before joining the company and the insurance company will beat everything down as much as possible.

he told me one claim the ins company offered 38k for a kitchen fire.....the guy hired him and the claim was increased to 98k

there was all kinds of hidden damage and had he took the first 38k  he would have been screwed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well fuck. Glad nobody was hurt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Well, yea, there's that . . .
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Op,an independent adjuster is on your side. He wants to get you as much as possible for your loss to obviously increase his 10%. A qualified adjuster knows the ins and outs of the Ins. scam.
He'll get you more than you would ever see on your own during this stressful time.

(Scenario) He gets you $100,000, you pay him 10 grand.
(Scenario) You negotiate with your Ins. Co. They break your balls and give you $60,000.

See how this works ? The good hands people only take. They do not like to pay out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
had a house fire 1.5 years ago.  Lost alot. PM me with any questions.  I'll give you my cell # if you need it
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
May I suggest, you find out what the insurance company is willing to pay after you have documented it as best as possible yourself for the loss.

Then see if the "insurance claim increaser" is willing to take 10% of whatever they increase the claim amount by (they may ask for more %).

So if the insurance company is willing to pay out $50,000.  The insurance claim increaser who contacted you wants 20% of whatever they increase the claim by (what you would not have gotten anyway).

Increaser increases the claim by $40,000 to a total of $90,000 but you have to pay the increaser (20% of $40,000 or $8,000).  You walk away with $82,000 instead of $50,000.

-Ryan
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
man I feel for you. I know what mechanics have in their shops

Your insurance company is NOT your friend, no matter what the TV commercial says
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Representation for what?

View Quote

Ya. Wtf.
I've worked for a handful of insurance companies but never in claims.
Who is your company?
Not sure I could be much help but my inbox is open
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
May I suggest, you find out what the insurance company is willing to pay after you have documented it as best as possible yourself for the loss.

Then see if the "insurance claim increaser" is willing to take 10% of whatever they increase the claim amount by (they may ask for more %).

So if the insurance company is willing to pay out $50,000.  The insurance claim increaser who contacted you wants 20% of whatever they increase the claim by (what you would not have gotten anyway).

Increaser increases the claim by $40,000 to a total of $90,000 but you have to pay the increaser (20% of $40,000 or $8,000).  You walk away with $82,000 instead of $50,000.

-Ryan
View Quote

This, they got me more money than the ins company was willing to pay...
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#23]
This is when you find out if your insurance company is worth a shit or not.

Sad but true, now to pour more salt in your wound, think about how much money you have paid them.

Hopefully you had pictures or video of your contents, to help with the claim.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Representation for what?

View Quote

Some neighbors of mine had their house burn down.  Fire department said it was a failure in the wiring.  Insurance refused to pay, even though their policy said they should.  The folks hired their own investigator, who corroborated the report of the fire department.  Insurance still wouldn't pay.  They got a lawyer and filed suit, the insurance finally paid.

Insurance companies don't get rich by writing checks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Chasers?? Nah, they are the drivers on other days. Also have a clean-up company that receives alerts for every fire. That one is owned by a fireman too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does this happen? Are they Vollies?

Anyone that worked for my department must request in writing a Permission for outside employment. Anything that has even a hint of conflict of interest is denied.

Any Firefighter working for us that tried such shenanigans would be fired for moral turpitude.

OP, the fire is out. Let it get good and cold before you make any decisions.

Slow down, take stock.

Sorry about your luck.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Where in Virginia?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds to me that the two guys that showed up are like ambulance chasers.

If it was arson. There are your two suspects.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some neighbors of mine had their house burn down.  Fire department said it was a failure in the wiring.  Insurance refused to pay, even though their policy said they should.  The folks hired their own investigator, who corroborated the report of the fire department.  Insurance still wouldn't pay.  They got a lawyer and filed suit, the insurance finally paid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Representation for what?

That's why it's worth paying a little more for a reputable company. AmFam is not the cheapest, but I stay with them because they have always treated me fairly. I've had several major claims over the years, and it was always quick and painless.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I am considering a public adjuster based on my policy limit. The personal property limit is like 160k the limit on the building itself is 44k.

in other words I maxed out the building cost but the contents are covered for 3x the amount.

I'm sure they will low ball all the contents, many items burned with no trace of existence.

example my paint guns were aluminum and there is literally no evidence they existed other than the steel parts inside of them.

snap on scanner was all plastic and literally no way to prove what it is by the rubble.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

snap on scanner was all plastic and literally no way to prove what it is by the rubble.

View Quote

if you bought it from snap on they will have a record of it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you have to basically show receipts for proof of what you owned? How do you prove what you had?
Christ i'd be so royally fucked. My wife's probably got 20k in shoes alone.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
The people who showed up were probably from restoration companies. They have people sitting on scanners waiting for prey.  Deal with your insurance company first!
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do you have to basically show receipts for proof of what you owned? How do you prove what you had? Christ i'd be so royally fucked. My wife's probably got 20k in shoes alone.

View Quote

Take photographs of your home. Open each drawer/door and take a picture of the contents. Store the photos off site. Do it annually.  

This is why.  You will need to list everything lost.  its easy to remember the big stuff, but remembering and proving small stuff is a different story.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Luckily I do have a chit ton of pics. It will help Re create what I had
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#35]
this is an interesting thread.

I'd like to know more about the Agents you have working it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Have an of you ever heard of a replacement value clause? No dicking with the company. Just list what you had and its paid. Even if its over maximum amount of coverage. You jiust need to review the amount every 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn - sorry to hear this, but it's a good reminder for all of us to take some Pics of contents of each room in your house... & keep on a flash drive or two.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:24:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Have an of you ever heard of a replacement value clause? No dicking with the company. Just list what you had and its paid. Even if its over maximum amount of coverage. You just need to review the amount every 3 years.
View Quote

Yep. Replacement value is the policy you seek. If you ever have a claim it is worth its weight in gold.

My house caught on fire about 4 a.m. on a Saturday about 20 years ago. The house was gutted on the 2nd story and everything on the 1st floor suffered from smoke and water damage. We had replacement value insurance.

I called the insurance company about 7 or 8 a.m. An agent from the company met me at my home with a check before 10 a.m. He hurried so that we could deposit it before the banks closed at noon.

I can't remember the amount, but I think it was $8,000 - $10,000. He told me that money was to be used for our hotel room and meals until they found us a place to live while our house was rebuilt. We had to document all expenses, but they paid without question.

They had a restoration company at our house that afternoon boarding up the windows that had broken out from the fire. They also sealed the area where the roof was damaged to prevent further water damage - as if that were possible! They suggested several restoration companies that they frequently worked with and we chose one of them.

It took about 6 months to rebuild our house. We had to turn in a list of the belongings that we lost. If we had receipts, those were provided but not one of our claims was disputed. We didn't have many receipts because they burned up in the fire.

I think that the damage to the house and contents was about $270,000. They also paid for a furnished townhouse for 6 months.

Not a single expense was challenged and they paid every penny. I should also mention that we were honest and did not submit an expense that was not accurate.

I suppose that if I had to have a fire, I was blessed to have the insurance company that I had. I have paid for home insurance for over 40 years and that was the only claim I have ever filed for any reason. But, it was a whopper of a claim.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep. Replacement value is the policy you seek. If you ever have a claim it is worth its weight in gold.

My house caught on fire about 4 a.m. on a Saturday about 20 years ago. The house was gutted on the 2nd story and everything on the 1st floor suffered from smoke and water damage. We had replacement value insurance.

I called the insurance company about 7 or 8 a.m. An agent from the company met me at my home with a check before 10 a.m. He hurried so that we could deposit it before the banks closed at noon.

I can't remember the amount, but I think it was $8,000 - $10,000. He told me that money was to be used for our hotel room and meals until they found us a place to live while our house was rebuilt. We had to document all expenses, but they paid without question.

They had a restoration company at our house that afternoon boarding up the windows that had broken out from the fire. They also sealed the area where the roof was damaged to prevent further water damage - as if that were possible! They suggested several restoration companies that they frequently worked with and we chose one of them.

It took about 6 months to rebuild our house. We had to turn in a list of the belongings that we lost. If we had receipts, those were provided but not one of our claims was disputed. We didn't have many receipts because they burned up in the fire.

I think that the damage to the house and contents was about $270,000. They also paid for a furnished townhouse for 6 months.

Not a single expense was challenged and they paid every penny. I should also mention that we were honest and did not submit an expense that was not accurate.

I suppose that if I had to have a fire, I was blessed to have the insurance company that I had. I have paid for home insurance for over 40 years and that was the only claim I have ever filed for any reason. But, it was a whopper of a claim.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have an of you ever heard of a replacement value clause? No dicking with the company. Just list what you had and its paid. Even if its over maximum amount of coverage. You just need to review the amount every 3 years.

I'm glad everything finally turned out well for you, but many people do not understand their insurance and only look at how cheap they can get insurance for. Not all insurance companies will take care of their clients as well as your's did, many will screw around and try not to pay you what you have covered. In the last 10 years insurance companies will do what ever they can to save the company money.

If your insurance company even starts to act the slightest bit jerky get a public adjuster, the 10% you pay him will be more than made up for the money you get paid for your claim.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which company is that? They sound good and honest. A company I'm sure many of us would like to look in to.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Which company is that? They sound good and honest. A company I'm sure many of us would like to look in to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a sit down conversation with your agent, your agent should be helping YOU get the insurance you NEED. If your agent can't handle what you want start shopping around, just don't let your insurance lapse.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Representation for what?

I've heard this numerous times.  I've never had a fire, thank God, so I've never been through the process to know.

But whenever I have had a loss, the insurance company has bent over backwards to make me whole again.  Sometimes covering/replacing stuff that completely surprised me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am considering a public adjuster based on my policy limit. The personal property limit is like 160k the limit on the building itself is 44k.

in other words I maxed out the building cost but the contents are covered for 3x the amount.

I'm sure they will low ball all the contents, many items burned with no trace of existence.

example my paint guns were aluminum and there is literally no evidence they existed other than the steel parts inside of them.

View Quote
Do your research on the PA before hiring. Not all are willing to do "the work" on a large contents job with such a small fee. This is a very small loss for a PA or it should be. Ask them if they will be creating their own contents list. If they say we will use XX company that makes the list for the insurance company, I'd question that.

For the absolute best results, you need to be very proactive in this whole process. Start making a list ASAP of contents, seen and unseen. Do not put prices on this list, only ages!!!!!! More details on each item the better. Do not fabricate items you did not have. Everyone thinks fires burn stuff beyond recognition but that's normally not the case.

If either of those two sales guys are from "restoration companies," tell them to move on. You have nothing they can help you with. You will however need to figure out how you want to go about replacing the structure and hire someone pretty quick. Do not let the contractor get involved in the insurance claim. Work with them like it's a new project.

Remember also, it's not the insurance companies responsibility to run or do the reconstruction, it's yours and you are the boss!! If the insurance company tried to get their "preferred contractors" involved, run! They will beat the hell out of those guys to do a cut rate job for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Representation for what?

Probably more than that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a legitimate claim to have lost all your guns in a garage fire.

Sorry for your loss,  I have no advice on agents
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Take photographs of your home. Open each drawer/door and take a picture of the contents. Store the photos off site. Do it annually.  

This is why.  You will need to list everything lost.  its easy to remember the big stuff, but remembering and proving small stuff is a different story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have to basically show receipts for proof of what you owned? How do you prove what you had? Christ i'd be so royally fucked. My wife's probably got 20k in shoes alone.

This, this, 100% this. Do what he says.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Sorry about the fire did you lose the RV too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah rv is toast. The whole inside smells like burnt plastic one whole side is scorched and firefighters broke all the windows even though there was no fire inside rv.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah rv is toast. The whole inside smells like burnt plastic one whole side is scorched and firefighters broke all the windows even though there was no fire inside rv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that is under a different  policy.

Your going to miss  all your stuff  no matter what insurance pays.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#50]
That's too bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top