Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2003 9:20:32 PM EDT
So, over the past 6 months or so, I've been gettin numb hands and/or feet.  As I sit typing this, my feet are pins & needles.
I'm wondering if this is something I sould be worried about.  I'm relatively young @ 28, so I'm not too worried, but still.
any thoughs?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank God the extremities are your hands and feet!  All kidding aside, I understand there can be numerous reasons for that.  I hope it is just the computer set up and nothing more serious.  Go to a doctor tomorrow or sooner.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I would see a good doctor soon.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
So, over the past 6 months or so, I've been gettin numb hands and/or feet.  As I sit typing this, my feet are pins & needles.
I'm wondering if this is something I sould be worried about.  I'm relatively young @ 28, so I'm not too worried, but still.
any thoughs?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  [b]SEE A DOCTOR![/b]

It suggests the possibility that you have something neurologically wrong.  At the very least, don't you want to make sure it ain't so?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to run a gas operated shrub trimmer when I was younger and after the summer of cutting shrubs, my hands would be numb for months and it sucked.  Go see your doctor if the numbness is unexplainable.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You might also want to have yourself tested for Diabetes, which leads to circulatory problems in the extremeties.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Pay attention to the position of your hands and feet when at computer. Also when you sleep. I went to the doctor 3 months after getting my first computer because I had numbness like you describe in my hand (hold back your jokes guys).I found out it was'nt Heart failure or work it was because I was propping my fist under my chin while spending WAY TOO MUCH time on the new computer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Norm:

Same thing here. Nuro says "osteoarthritis".

Basiclly some bones in the lower part of my back have fused themselves together and in the process have screwed up the nerves.

Now I have a shooting pain in my leg. Half of my toes are numb in my left foot and I can barely walk.

Thankfully theres no cure. So with this and my freaking non-stop headaches and the nerve damage in my left wrist which doesn't stop hurting all day, everything super.

Oh yeah, I did get my Handicap Parking premit sticker today.

ED
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont F&^k around...GO TO A DOCTOR NOW! May be nothing but it is worth the piece of mind to know what is going on. I get some whacked out symptoms when I am either tired or stressed out. I have had eye twitches and joint pains and you will be surprised at how much stress can mess you up.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to run a gas operated shrub trimmer when I was younger and after the summer of cutting shrubs, my hands would be numb for months and it sucked.  Go see your doctor if the numbness is unexplainable.

Keving67
View Quote

I hear this happens a lot to loggers using chainsaws their entire lives.  They say they have that weird feeling in their arms forever.

I would see a doctor norman74 though, as it could be some of the things mentioned here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
this could be an array of things wrong with you...dont trust an Internet "doctor" to diagnose what could be something simple or something that could shorten your life span if left unrecognized-{diabetes}
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Take everyone's advice and see your Doc. You may also want to provide us with your Past Medical and Family History. Anyone in your family have Diabetes or Anemia issues? Check to make sure your distal pulses (i.e. pedal and posterior tibial) are normal and not weak to ensure adequate blood flow. Get your blood sugar checked to make sure you're not hypo/hyper glycemic.

Take Good Care
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keving67
View Quote

I hear this happens a lot to loggers using chainsaws their entire lives.  They say they have that weird feeling in their arms forever.

I would see a doctor norman74 though, as it could be some of the things mentioned here.
View Quote

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/260459.stm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Symptoms of Multiple Sclorosis include what you describe plus a vision problem and a tight feeling around the chest.

Go see your doctor!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I was always told that I had low blood pressure, and that was what was responsible for my hands and feet staying really cold in the winter months.

I'm not really sure what might have brought all this on.  I've pretty much eliminated caffeine from my diet, and I only have a cigar about once every two weeks.
I have started working out again lately after a hiatus for awhile.
Also, with my newly single status, I haven't been sleeping as well or as much as I used to.
I just got off the phone with the doc and made an appointment for today @ 2:15.  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Definately get your fasting sugar checked...easy test.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure what might have brought all this on.  I've pretty much eliminated caffeine from my diet, and I only have a cigar about once every two weeks.
I have started working out again lately after a hiatus for awhile.
Also, with my newly single status, I haven't been sleeping as well or as much as I used to.
I just got off the phone with the doc and made an appointment for today @ 2:15.  Wish me luck.
View Quote

Stress. I bet it was stress!! that shit sucks. Well?? are you going to tell us what the Dr said or NO?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Get it checked out ASAP.  I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which is nothing compared to what it might be.  My ex-father-in-law thought he had the same (CTS), but it turned out to be Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis in his C4-C6 spine area, the neck.  Can lead to paralysis and worse.

TS
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
The guy I used to work for had those symptoms and found out that he had suffered a mild stroke.

I used to get numbness and pins & needles in both legs. Luckily it wasn't some disease but caused by the circulation being cut-off to my legs from sitting on the can too long while reading.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Could be circulation as well. I had similar about a year ago, and the doc finally narrowed it down to the fact that I was sitting in front of the computer for too long of stretches. I am known for marathon code jamming sessions (I can sit for 6-8 hours without moving to even pee). I was giving myself blood clots in the backs of my legs and the arms weren't moving enough.

The perils of 21st century careers.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Could be circulation as well. I had similar about a year ago, and the doc finally narrowed it down to the fact that I was sitting in front of the computer for too long of stretches. I am known for marathon code jamming sessions (I can sit for 6-8 hours without moving to even pee). I was giving myself blood clots in the backs of my legs and the arms weren't moving enough.

The perils of 21st century careers.....
View Quote

augh, good way to throw an emboli and experience a horribly quick death.

So what happened at the doctors visit, norman?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm betting it's one (or more) slipped/bulging disks, one of which is in the c4/c5 area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#25]
[b]my feet are pins & needles[/b]

Sounds like Voodoo !!!!!!!!!!

You havent pissed of anybody recently ? Oh wait I forgot who started this thread. Do you have a Hati subs. find any little dolls or dead chickens around ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#26]
"PARESTHESIA".....strange sensation in your hands/fingers or feet/toes can come from something as simple as nerve interference from the neck or the low back.

Go to your local Chiropractor and he will do his work-up and hopefully help you.

Most M.D.'s have no clue about this (they aren't taught about it) and automatically jump to the severe diagnoses.

Save your time and $ and go see the Chiropractor first.

At 28, your chances of osteoarthritis are small unless there has been trauma to the region or disease.

I treated thousands of people who had been diagnosed with "carpal tunnel".
90% of those responded very successfully to adjustments and had good relief from the symptoms.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Norm?? You ok???

(Shit, I hope he's ok, good ass*oles are hard to find! [:D])
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, went to the dr. 'cause I thought this might be related to the migraines I've been getting.  Unfortunately, they're concentrating on my migraines and not the numbness, but that will change at the next visit.
The dr. wants to do some blood work, and "take an xray of my brain" (I guess she thought the guy with the harley shirt and the tattoos must be an idiot, since that's what she called it).
Next visit, May 30, after the tests.  My insurance better cover this shit or I just won't do any of it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#29]
You should have said "You mean a fucking MRI??".

TS
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#30]
It's not that the Dr is "focusing" on the migraines.  Many migraine equivalents can have neurologic manifestations (re: ophthalmic migraines are visual disturbances with no headache).  The allusions to diabetes, circulatory problems and osteoarthritis generally do not apply to an otherwise healthy 28 year-old.  Paresthesias from diabetic neuropathy develop after years of uncontrolled/undiagnosed diabetes.  MDs are well-versed in the multiple causes of paresthesias, and unlike chiropractors, will look for any and all underlying pathology (if he's good), instead of telling you it's a pinched nerve problem, and cracking your neck will fix it.  Herniated discs and Multiple Sclerosis are the top 2 concerning causes of your symptoms.  MRIs of the head and cervical spine will rule these in or out.  Don't be discouraged if the tests are normal; this is GOOD news.  Many times people have transient subjective symptoms with no identifiable disease or pathology.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"PARESTHESIA".....strange sensation in your hands/fingers or feet/toes can come from something as simple as nerve interference from the neck or the low back.

Go to your local Chiropractor and he will do his work-up and hopefully help you.

Most M.D.'s have no clue about this (they aren't taught about it) and automatically jump to the severe diagnoses.

Save your time and $ and go see the Chiropractor first.

At 28, your chances of osteoarthritis are small unless there has been trauma to the region or disease.

I treated thousands of people who had been diagnosed with "carpal tunnel".
90% of those responded very successfully to adjustments and had good relief from the symptoms.
View Quote

There has NEVER been a SINGLE well controlled study which has demonstrated ANY physiologic change following chiropractic manipulation. Anecdotal stories of success are meaningless.  Scientifically legitimate conclusions are based on vast numbers of controlled clinical trials.

Chiropractic preys on the medical ignorance of the patient or caters to alternative medicine hopefuls with the modern day equivalent of snake oil sales.

Here's the best bit of free medical advice you'll ever receive on-line: When you have a health-related question, don't take the advice of non-medical personnel, especially on line. Even an MD must be able to take a good history and perform a suitable physical examination. See a PHYSICIAN. That means an MD or DO.

Here's the second best bit of free medical advice you'll ever receive on line: Stay away from chirporactors for anything but deep fibre or cross fibre massage. Period. I've had   patients with upper extremity symptoms treated for lengthy periods of time by chiropractors who completely overlooked the fact that their symptoms were caused by malignant pulmonary tumors. The list of botched diagnoses and worsened symptoms goes on and on.

And here's the secret you're not supposed to know relative to low back pain: No less than 80% of low back pain and related extremity symptomatology is musculoskeletal, not neurologic in origin. Of that no less than 80% will resolve spontaneously with no treatment whatsoever. So if you want to go to a chiropractor for "manipulation", a physical therapist for "exercise", or Madam LaRue the Jamaican witch lady for "nostrums and poultices", your results will be the same because you're just killing time.

If you do have a neurologic problem, don't dick around. Many neurologic conditions, once properly diagnosed, are very successfully treated by simple interventions. However, they can be progressive in nature and need to be addressed in a timely manner.

KODoc,MD
Diplomate, American Board of Anesthesiology
Diplomate, American Board of Anesthesiology subspecialty Pain Management
Diplomate, American Board of Pain Medicine
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#33]
You should probably cut way back on the masturbation, Norman.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#34]
KODoc makes some very valid points.

Chiropractic is a mixture of  pseudoscience  and non-science (or should I say nonsense?). Much of  it is based on the unsupported theory that misaligned vertebrae produce neuronal  interference which causes disease. Chiropractors claim that by correcting these misalignments  and subluxations they  can restore health and that regular spinal adjustments are essential to maintain it. No logic or scientific evidence supports this.

The health care consumer is becoming more sophisticated. Educate yourself and don't solicit advice on line. Try WebMD if you have no easy access to health care professions.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Gonna have a CT-scan done, good.  I cannot think of a valid musco-skeletal reason why it would be affecting upper and lower extremities. I wouldnt even bother with a chiropractor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, my mom has been battling major migraines for years, and in her quest to fix things went to accupuncture and a chiropractor.  The chiropractor seriously screwed her up.  She wound up with migraines and a spine so sore that she almost couldn't walk.  Needless to say I won't be trying that out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top