this from the VPC.

www.vpc.org

KEEP LINK COLD

CRC
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I just trolled handguncontrol.org.

They have similar stats there too:

Crime dropped 20% after the 1st AW ban went into effect.... They forgot to mention that crime had already been dropping for the last 4 years!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
We could always shoot the VPC leadership/staff [red][size=6]JUST KIDDING![/red][/size=6]

OTOH we can expose thes lies for what they are. You could always write/call/e-mail/fax your REPS NOW!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how many were killed by automobiles?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
lies lies lies lies

How would you feel about yourself if your job entailed spewing lies?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Bullshit! the vast majority of LEO's are killed with handguns, often with their own weapons!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen this claim before. As I recall on investigation it turned out they called anything that could take a high capacity magazine an "assault weapon", so that included all the Glocks out there. Also, they counted police _killed by their own weapons_. The police grapple with suspects a lot, and sometimes the suspects will gain control of the officer's Glock and shoot him with it. The VPC counted this as "killed by an assault weapon".
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen this claim before. As I recall on investigation it turned out they called anything that could take a high capacity magazine an "assault weapon", so that included all the Glocks out there. Also, they counted police _killed by their own weapons_. The police grapple with suspects a lot, and sometimes the suspects will gain control of the officer's Glock and shoot him with it. The VPC counted this as "killed by an assault weapon".
View Quote

I would LOVE to see the proof of that. Email it to VPC so they could verify it too...that would be so sweet. I wouldn't be surprised at them using such underhanded tactics.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Edited because it was in bad tatse

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
They have a list of the shootings at http://www.vpc.org/studies/officetwo.htm . As it turns out their total is over several years--1998 to 2001.

They include weapons that aren't assault weapons as defined by congress, such as ths SKS, Mini-14, and the M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
FRiend of mine was killed with a MAK-90 on duty. Doesnt mean they should be illegal though. Just means we should keep crooks locked up where they belong, instead of letting them out on Probation, Parole, or Diversion.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]
[BS2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bullshit! the vast majority of LEO's are killed with handguns, often with their own weapons!!
View Quote

Good point!!!
Traffic stop shootings are done mainly by handguns.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if they count overdoses on doughnuts as assault weapon deaths too...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't a NJ police chief state, during the first go round with this, that his men were more likely to be attacked by escaped zoo animals than an assault rifle?

Absolutely right on the full capacity mag qualification.  I believe that it was in Maryland I was told my Glock pistol was considered an assault weapon because I carry the standard pre ban magazines.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Granted,  VPC is about as realible as a heavily used Yugo,  but that does not mean that officers DON'T get killed by rifles,  assault or otherwise.

I can point to 6 officers killed within  100 miles of where I sit.
One SKS, One Mini-14,  four by a Mak-90. Locally, rifles are used to kill police more than any other weapon.  It's a real concern,  but not a reason for making them illegal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't doubt that there are cases where officers are killed by "assault weapons," I think if you look at the numbers, you'll find the real numbers aren't any lower than before the ban.

The word I hear from the antis nowaday on weapons not already banned is "potential" threat.  That's like saying any child born has the potential to be a terrorist, criminal, or mass murderer.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#17]
CAUSE OF DEATH.....2001.2000.1999.1998.1997  
Auto Accidents......42...49...48...55...47  
Shot by Firearm.....68...52...46...63...68  
Job-Related Illness..4...6....15...10...14  
Struck by Vehicles..24...16...10...15...14  
Motorcycle Accident..8...10....7....4....5  
Aircraft Accident....5....7....4....4....5  
Stabbed by Knife.....0....2....2....0....5  
Falls................1....4....3....1....6  
Struck by Train......0....0....1....1....1  
Drowning.............1....3....0....7....0  
Bomb-Related Incident.72..1....0....1....1  
Boating Accident.....2....0....0....1....0  
Beaten...............2....1....1....1....0  
Crushed..............1....0....0....1....0  
Strangled............0....0....0....0....1  
Bicycle Accident.....0....2....0....0....0  
Horse Accident.......0....1....0....0....0  
Total...............230..154..137..164..167  
------------------------------------------------

Other mentioned that police officer are often shot by their own weapons. That is a scary theoy. What is often left out about police officer being shot by their own weapons, is that they are often disabled prior to losing their weapon. In some cases the suspect shoots th officer with their (the suspect) weapon, disabling the officer before disarming the officer. I think in appx 80% of the "disarmings" there is a signifigant attack prior to the disarming.  

According to the FBI in 2001, for felonious killings, 46 officers killed with handguns, 11 killed with rifles, 4 with shotguns, 3 officers were killed with their own weapon, 7 killed with vehicles, 1 with personal weapons (hands, feet etc.) and 1 with a blunt object.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How would you feel about yourself if your job entailed spewing lies?
View Quote

Like "politicians"?

or "Lawyers"

or "judges"....

Have I missed some?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just trolled handguncontrol.org.

They have similar stats there too:

Crime dropped 20% after the 1st AW ban went into effect.... They forgot to mention that crime had already been dropping for the last 4 years!!!
View Quote

Based on factual information, violent crime dropped as the increase of CCWs increased.  In addition, states sponcering "shall issue" increased.

But then, something has to take credit for all of this, why not the Brady bill [V]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
According to the FBI in 2001.
View Quote

The FBI stats are often very wrong. The year of the Oklahoma city bombing, where seveal federal LEO were killed, the FBI said 0 were killed by Bomb.

When friends and coworkers of mine get killed i will usually check the FBI stats for that month and find their deaths are unreported on the stats, or incorrectly tracked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top