Posted: 5/8/2003 5:28:26 PM EDT
WTF?!?

[url]http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32470[/url]

COMING TO AMERICA

U.S. liable for border-crosser deaths?
Families of 14 Mexican illegals seek $42 million

Posted: May 8, 2003
4:00 p.m. Eastern

The families of 14 illegal Mexican immigrants who died of dehydration while crossing the hot Arizona desert have filed a $42 million lawsuit against the U.S. Department of the Interior, claiming it failed to help them survive.

The lawsuit, filed April 30 in U.S. District Court in Tucson, claims federal border policy forced the immigrants to enter the country through the treacherous area southwest of Tucson known to have little water. Border Patrol agents found the immigrants on May 23, 2001 in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge.

The 14 are among hundreds of undocumented immigrants that have succumbed to the 100-degree temperatures in the desert region since October 2001, according to Border Patrol statistics.

The lawsuit also alleges the department could have prevented the deaths if it hadn't blocked the humanitarian-aid measures of a group called Humane Borders. Two months prior, the human rights organization was refused permission to place a water station "in the exact area" where the crossers died, according to the suit.

Environmental concern reportedly trumped that over the Mexicans.

Robin Hoover, pastor of First Christian Church and president of Humane Borders, told the Associated Press and Arizona Star the application for the water station was denied over concerns for the endangered Sonoran pronghorn antelope.

"They've got all kinds of critters. They also seem to have some human beings running around out there," James Metcalf, one of three attorneys who filed the lawsuit, told the Arizona Star. "These folks are still human beings who die at alarming frequencies, and they're aware of that," he said.

The day after the 14 bodies were recovered, according to the lawsuit, wildlife officials placed seven Humane Borders flags marking water stations migrants could use. Metcalf maintains this shows culpability on the part of the Interior.

"By allowing water stations in areas where it formerly prohibited them and by setting up emergency call boxes to save the lives of illegal entrants in the desert, the government has acknowledged people need help to make the journey, he told the Arizona Star. "The government doesn't assume responsibility unless they in fact have one."

Worse than the lack of compassion, asserts Hoover, is the escalating violence at the border, including the presence of citizen militias taking border security into their own hands.

"We're very concerned that the Border Patrol's attitude is becoming more militarized," Hoover told the Tucson Citizen. "We think the Border Patrol's job is truly a law enforcement style of public service and not military."

WorldNetDaily has reported the Mexican border increasingly resembles a war zone as drug and illegal-migrant smugglers pull out all the stops to defy U.S. agents. In 2000, the Juarez cartel, one of Mexico's biggest drug gangs, placed a bounty of $200,000 on U.S. lawmen.

Following the announcement, Border Patrol officers reported instances of "armed incursions" into U.S. territory by heavily armed Mexican army units. In March 2000, two Mexican army Humvees carrying about 16 soldiers, armed with automatic assault rifles, pistols and a submachine gun drove across the international boundary near Santa Teresa, New Mexico and shot at Border Patrol agents.

Then in March 2002, a Border Patrol officer encountered four heavily armed Mexican army soldiers on the U.S. side of the border near San Diego. The soldiers, armed with three submachine guns and one M-16 rifle, crossed the border near Tecate, Mexico, while on a counter-drug mission.

The shooting death of a park ranger in Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument last August prompted calls for more security on the U.S. border. The 28-year-old ranger was killed as he and Border Patrol agents closed in on two gunmen suspected of having ties to Mexican drug lords.

"We have to put the military down here; we have to help these people," Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., the head of the House Immigration Reform Caucus, declared at the time.

Then there are security concerns beyond smugglers.

WorldNetDaily reported last month a southern Texas sheriff put out a public warning that unidentified armed men dressed in military fatigues, carrying "professional backpacks" and walking together in a military cadence have been spotted on numerous occasions in his county near the border with Mexico.

Despite the risks, The Tucson Citizen reports some 3,000 migrants make it across the border successfully every day.

The lawsuit seeks about $3 million for each of the 14 who failed.

Wes Bramhall, president of Arizonans for Immigration Control, condemned the lawsuit.

"It's ridiculous," he told the Arizona Star. "These people knew what they were doing. They knew they were breaking the law."
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL. they are learning the American way very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Righteous Bucks!

NOT!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
... So you're going to sue me out of my tax dollars because you chose to illegally enter my country and didn't bring enough water to make the journey?

... WTF are you thinking, these assholes need a good old fashioned ass whooping
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If they even get a settlement, we are officially doomed.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
This has been stirring for awhile now. I first heard of this shortly after it happened while testing for the BP. I never thought it would get this far. I dont know whats worse, that fact they are sueing, or the fact that some fucking church group is allowed to support the illegal crossing of the border. That group should be brought up on charges of acts of conspiracy at the very least.
Makes me sick,
CH
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Build the F_CKIN' WALL.[pissed]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Lesson:  Bury them in the desert when they are found.

"Why no, ma'am, we don't know where your son is.  It's very hard to locate people who enter the country illegally."
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years back a Border Patrol Agent told me that the Courts down in Tucson, where this issue is being handled,  are Frustratingly LIBERAL!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably the same assholes burning US flags during the war.  Maybe we can get P.E.T.A. to help us, vultures have to eat too.  Helping aliens would cut off their food supply.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
why not put the $42 mill on the fence, and hope the the damn families run out of water on their way to collect
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#11]
You have got to be fucking kidding me!  The US government isn't responsible for the accidental deaths of it's own citizens, let alone the citizen of another country who wasn't supposed to be here in the first place!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
wtf?

If we can't steal their taxes through welfare, we'll sue for our own faults
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#13]
sigh

Irritating.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck'em.

Any lawyer that pursues this should be summarily executed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I have no problem giving a man and his family water...
they should be able to press a button at any given station and get water...
The button activates a signal to the Border Patrol and the water comes out 5 minutes after the signal has been activated..
Or some such similar device for catching them...holding them humanely and transporting them bact to where they belong...in their own country
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
some of you guys should deliver the message to the attorney's involved.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting that they are not suing Mexico for "Failure to provide a reasonable standard of living, thus forcing an exodus to the U.S.."
Smells like some lawyer looking for a boat payment to me.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A few years back a Border Patrol Agent told me that the Courts down in Tucson, where this issue is being handled,  are Frustratingly LIBERAL!
View Quote

That agent was correct. It's not only the courts here, it's city and county govt as well.
Over the years (last 20 to 30) Tucson has become a little liberal arsty fartsy college town with asshole transplants from Kali and back east bringing their STUPID FUCKING LIBERAL MINDSETS WITH THEM !!
Tucson and Pima county voters along with state wide voter apathy, is the reason we have a bull dyke janet reno wannabe governor now.
I've just about had it with this town and this state.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have no problem giving a man and his family water...
they should be able to press a button at any given station and get water...
The button activates a signal to the Border Patrol and the water comes out 5 minutes after the signal has been activated..
Or some such similar device for catching them...holding them humanely and transporting them bact to where they belong...in their own country
View Quote

As I understand it, that's entrapment. I'm all for it, but the idea of monitoring those stations is technically a no-no.

If I'm wrong, there's a BP agent here that will set me straight :)

According to that report these guys are facing attacks from drug runners, various scum types,  and a foreign MILITARY on our border and these [b]dongmongers[/b] want to slap them in the face with bullshit like this.

[EDIT]
And exactly HOW THE HELL do they figure border runners are worth [b]$3,000,000.00[/b] a piece?
[/EDIT]

P.S. Thanks for teaching us a new word today NME.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a feeling that you could get some slightly used replacement Mexicans for alot less than any $42 million. Cubans would be even cheaper but there's a ban on importation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Tell them we'll get back to them after we find free and pay reparations to any remaining American slaves...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#22]
F*** 'em if they can't take a joke....

Edited to add: And f*** their damn lawyers even if the lawyers can take a joke.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Yup, that lawyer should be executed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Unbelievable. I should sue Mexico for the diarrhea I got in Matamoros in 1988.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#25]
UNFU*KINGBELIEVABLE...........

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If they even get a settlement, we are officially doomed.  
View Quote

Every now and then some lawyer files one of these lawsuits "on behalf" of the families of the victims. Have you ever heard anything about them? Probably not, since they were all dismissed immediately.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]
If they win this country is going to hell sooner not later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top