Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/27/2001 4:54:49 PM EDT
I hope I spelled that right...

Anyway, I'm a 5 percenter (non believer). I see posts of others out there that don't believe.  I was wondering how many of you are out there.

NOTE:  For those of you that do, I will make a deal with you....I won't try to convert you if you don't try to convert me.  OK?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
untouched non-believer to the core here my brother, (my brother?? I feel like a damn aryan nation f#ck or something!)and this one's got quite a bit of bible study under his belt.

I think the same way, don't try and convert me, in my mind religion is a very good thing unless it's one of those bomb-lobbing religions.

And yes I do value and strive to adhere to the teachings of Christ, and do believe he was real but not any of the miracle working and resurrection stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here.  Was never raised with any religion and glad of it.  
. All of my money(that the Gov. doesn't take) goes to me.
. I think and make all my own decisions based on experience not what's written in a very poorly written novel.
. Get the religious holidays off anyway.
. Easter is the celebration of candy not DEATH and "Resurection" of one of thousands of poor people nailed to a cross... Wonder what those other people accomplished in their lives...

And the list goes on.....

BISHOP
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Believer? yes.  Active practitioner? Neh-eh.

Right now, I have school, bills, work, and my health to worry about.  When I get out of college, find a job, and settle down then I'll start devoting some time to Christ.

I ain't even got time to bleed...

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Raised Catholic...I now call myself a born again Athiest.....

I figure they try and convert people to christianity...I try and bring them back!!!

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I try to be the best person I can.
I am not a believer.
If some one is a believer and keeps it to themselves I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Call me crazy, but when I see some guy on stage touch some old lady in a wheelchair that hasn't waked in 40 years, and then she proceeds to get up and dance. Well, lets just say I'd have to be pretty week minded to follow that crap, let alone give them money in the name of something I can not see, touch or hear. They don't call it faith for nothing.

It's been said a million times a million different ways. Religion is the crutch of the masses. I live by my values, which are much higher than a lot of "religious" people I have known.

If I am sent to hell for not believing, which I highly doubt will happen, fine send me there. Just make sure you give me an AR and a lot of ammo for the eternity I will be burning for.

[}:D]                                    
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You all must be very proud of yourselves.  No matter, though, whether you believe in God or not.

He believes in you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Too bad by keeping "your money" you are losing out on God's blessing plan in your life.

I will make a simple statement and then hush about it.

What do I have to gain by you becoming a Christian? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

What do you gain? Joy unspeakable, peace, forgiveness, love, hope, and eternal life.

If you know what he has done for me and see the change in my life you would want the same. I have been blessed financially, mentally, and physically. Having Christ in my life makes me a better husband, father, and citizen.

Stepping off my soapbox....God Bless!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
bewilder --All I can say is a big AMEN, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Untrue.  You get a reinforcement of your beliefs via someone else embracing them. That's an important psychological reward and is the main reason (aside from money) that most religions proselytize.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You all must be very proud of yourselves.  No matter, though, whether you believe in God or not.

He believes in you.
View Quote

Which God?  What makes your version true and others false?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Non believer, and yes I am proud of it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Gee, and I thought it was [b]Karl Marx[/b] that said that religion was the opiate of the people.

Wait a minute, it [u]was[/u] Marx.

Quite a rascal that Marx. Although college educated (at the expense of his father-in-law) he moved his family to France, then Belgium, and finally to England, and lived in such sheer unrelieved poverty that three of his six children died in infancy. The surviving three spent some time in foundling homes, and suffered such illnesses that all predeceased their father.

What a guy!

Oh yeah, let's pattern our philosphy from this character's thoughts.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Untrue.  You get a reinforcement of your beliefs via someone else embracing them. That's an important psychological reward and is the main reason (aside from money) that most religions proselytize.
View Quote

Actualy, I think it is more of the (Putting Atomic Flame Suit on) "I can't deal with My life/My Adiction/My Family Problem(s)/My troubles, Etc. I call it the "PLEASE LEAD ME!" I am incapable of self thought/actions" mindset.I was raised in a christian family Who's Mom,Dad,Brother,and sister are/were(Dad died) active and true believers. I've read at least 3 versions of the bible, and understand Them quite thoroughly. I can say, with all honestly, that I don't believe that They are the "Word of God". I also know that even the "Religious Experts" say that It (The bible) wasn't even writen till 400-600ad. I find it hard to talk to people who will beleive in something written 400-600 years after the "Fact", when We, with film,sound and all the forensic evedence, can't even figure out Who killed one of Our Presidents!

Don't get Me wrong, I feel that the Bible is a great collection of philosophy. A great group of ideas, stories, proverbs, and values, but not the "Word of God". There are several sites  on the net that can point these views out better than I can. There are also sites/books that show where many of the ideas in the bible came from. No, sorry!, they aren't "New" ideas, heck many are "Carry overs" from the pagan rites and ideas that they replaced. I don't want to flame anyones beliefs here, I'm just tired of the "Well that's what it says in the Bible!" arguments. If You are going to just say that, then I want You to know why I'll have a hard time finding anything worthwhile in Your side of the debate.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm one of the godless.

I respect others who desire religion in their lives, but I definately do not.

Atheist 100%
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Atheist myself. The only "religion" I follow is to defend our freedoms. The irony of this is that even as a non-believer in a god, I will defend the rights of those who have the need to believe.

"Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over."
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gee, and I thought it was [b]Karl Marx[/b] that said that religion was the opiate of the people.

Wait a minute, it [u]was[/u] Marx.
View Quote

Even a blind squirrel comes across an acorn now and then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I am not trying to preach to any of you. I also am not a devoted bible thumper or fire and brimstone preacher. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is best for them. However, when I die if there is no heaven or hell I will not know any different because then there is no eternal life. But IF there is who will be more surprised, you or me? It will be alot for the non beleiver to deal with if there is a heaven and a hell. Also if you want to take an AR and ammo to hell with you don't worry about a good trigger. Does cookoff come to mind. When things are going good it is not necessary in some minds to beleive. After one has been cut open 2 times and had a pacer and heart valve installed and things still aren't good. A crutch as some of you none believers call it has helped some of us. Call me whatever you wish but hopefully your day will come to believe. Not preachin just tellin you a story. Have a great day no matter what.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Aw, better to believe in G*d and find there is none, than to not believe in G*d and find there is one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, how much better I begin to understand some of the mindsets that exibited here after learining of your (majority) lack of faith in a creator that holds his hand out to you 24/7 from the moment of your birth to the moment of your death.

A very revealing conversation. Thanks for the insight.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Since bwilder10h said that he will not say any more on the subject, no problem, I'll just post this for the rest...

What do you gain? Joy unspeakable, peace, forgiveness, love, hope, and eternal life
View Quote

But I already have Joy unspeakable, peace, forgiveness, love, hope, and eternal life, and I don't need to worship something for it.

Though I don't believe in anything I am at the moment dating a VERY Catholic Woman, so I see all that is "funny" with the whole thing.
I pick on her decisions (based on her Bible) all of the time.
She sais that there is a special place in pergatory(sp) for unbelievers.  I just tell her I don't believe in that so it doesn't exist.  You have to believe in Heaven and Hell to go there.
The Bible is full of great stories with VERY good morlas and all, but most of them don't make any sence nor could they have actually have occured...
Like Noah and his family.  After 4 generations of screwing the same family members the human race would have too many genetic deformations to live.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
i follow the most sacred and holy school of religious thought.  not to be confused with the order of 'our lady of the five wounds' and certainly not part of the 'people's liberation front of judea' and absolutely not in any way what so ever even been to a meeting of the 'judean suicide squad'
- though i did dress up as a centurion once...., well sas did.

my gospel is the book of 'monty python'...my punishment as a sinner - the spanish inquisition's comfy chair and if eddie izard (sp?) ever asks me "cake or death?" I CHOOSE CAKE!

we shall now read psalm 23a
"oh father, you are just so huge and swell and we are but so small...."

steve and 'sas'
ps remember "crucifictions off to the left and have a nice day...."
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, it,s very surprising (upsetting) how many of you non-believers seem proud to call yourself a atheist and yet all of you receive the benifits of living in a country founded on and with the faith of GOD ALMIGHTY , I too....am ashamed to admit it but I once thought it "smart" to claim to be a atheist, but praise be to JESUS CHRIST I finally saw the truth....I hope and Pray that each of you do as well before its too late....."In the end...ALL !!  will bow down to JESUS CHRIST our LORD !! ..He will prove once and for all to his chosen and to all non believers....HE IS GOD !!     please rethink your belief....your friend, Russell George
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]
The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.
-- George Bernard Shaw, Androcles and the Lion, Preface (1916)
---------------
Just a thought from one of my favorite authors.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know what's more contradictory, the bible or the actions of the people who swear by it. I'm not saying all christians are like that, but most of the ones I've met are. And man am I getting sick of trying to be converted! keep it to your self!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Raised (not "reared" - thanx be to God *snicker*)Catholic. I'm much better now; been throught the twelve step CA program:

Me: "Uh, hi. My name's P3, and I'm a Catholic."
Support Group: "Hi, P3!"
Me: "It's been 17 years since I went to confession."
Support Group: "Yea!! Thanx for sharing..."

Here are my THREE COMMANDMENTS - and this is all the guidance you need:

1: DO NO HARM.
2: TAKE NO SHIT.
3: BE NICE.

I do enjoy toying with the Witnesses when they come-a-knockin'. I ask them questions...

My best friend's wife has been sucked into the Baptists to the point of pathology. She is LITERALLY addicted to this cult and it's destroying their marriage. There's no reasoning with her or hope of having any manner of discussion at all with her - all she does is parrot whatever dreck they're programming the fleeced -er- flock that week. Incapable of any independent thought. Oy, veh.

Religion IS the opiate of the masses, and the cause of most death and suffering in the world, from the first recorded moments of history to the present day.

Hooah to my fellow 5%ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To those who believe - fine. I hold no animosity towards you. While it isn't your choice to believe (as you were most likely brought up with it)I respect your right to believe.

You'll find that most Atheists subscribe to most of what most mainstream religions believe (refer to the three commandments above).

I believe in ME, and, until you give me a reason not to, I believe in YOU.

P3[pyro][^]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Aw, better to believe in G*d and find there is none, than to not believe in G*d and find there is one.
View Quote

Wow, I don't think I could have put that better myself.  As I have already told you, right now religion isn't an active part of my life, but will be soon when I can get my head out of the books and into the real world.  I, too, have questioned my faith based on very factual, scientific research.  I suppose this post is for people who don't practice Christianity based on science or facts alone...if you're one of these people, I don't blame you for a damn second.  "Adam and Eve" vs. "Homo Erectus" elludes the [b]HELL[/b] out of me, I have real troubles when scientific data and the Holy Word do not match, this F'ks me up BIG TIME.  As far as the creation of the universe goes, I've come to the conclusion that God did create the galaxies and earth...THROUGH the Big Bang.

As a very logical thinker (being that it's part of my degree), I try to come up with as many solutions as possible to mix and match real-world discoveries with the Book.  When the smoke is cleared though, there are many things that just don't add up when the math is done, but I've accepted that.  I've accepted the fact that, I will put my faith in a Book written by fallible men over concrete evidence of Bible-disputing extremes.

Why would I do this?  Think about it.  The word isn't called "Faith" for a reason.  God supplied us with the Old Testament's stories (healing of the sick and blind, creation of food and wine from void, etc) to ESTABLISH His existence.  It is faith that keeps this existence alive.  If he created a miracle every day, the argument over his existence would be null; you'd be stupid not to praise an active God who interferes and convenes with humans every day of your life!  But he hasn't done this, and for a reason.  I've also come to the conclusion that, the purpose of evolution (which I believe in), fossilized remains (which I've seen with my own naked eye), celestial bodies (the list goes on..), is to give us "obstacles" in our pursuit of faith in Him.

So when it comes down to it:  1.) I'll give God the benefit of the doubt because I know what the meaning of the word "faith" truly is, and 2.) I'd rather worship nothing and end up ashes to ashes, dust to dust...than not worship a very real God, and end up in Inferno.

Just a reasonable and logical view into this whole situation and my sole purpose for believing in Him.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am not trying to preach to any of you. I also am not a devoted bible thumper or fire and brimstone preacher. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is best for them. However, when I die if there is no heaven or hell I will not know any different because then there is no eternal life. But IF there is who will be more surprised, you or me? It will be alot for the non beleiver to deal with if there is a heaven and a hell. Also if you want to take an AR and ammo to hell with you don't worry about a good trigger. Does cookoff come to mind. When things are going good it is not necessary in some minds to beleive. After one has been cut open 2 times and had a pacer and heart valve installed and things still aren't good. A crutch as some of you none believers call it has helped some of us. Call me whatever you wish but hopefully your day will come to believe. Not preachin just tellin you a story. Have a great day no matter what.
View Quote

And then "the Wind" said:
Aw, better to believe in G*d and find there is none, than to not believe in G*d and find there is one
View Quote

These are both examples of Paschal's Wager which is a logical fallacy.  The belief/nonbelief debate is NOT an either-or position.  The Hindus would tell Christians AND nonbelievers that we're both wrong.  The Zoroastrians would do likewise.  As would the Muslims.
It's NOT a question of belief in God vs Nonbelief in God, it's a question of Belief in this god/belief in that god/belief in the other god vs nonbelief in any of them.
The bottom line is, a Christian is no "safer," theoretically, than a nonbeliever.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope,None
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have become to believe in a supreme being and one day I will discover the reason as to why he is subjecting me to a lifetime of torment.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Gee, and I thought it was Karl Marx that said that religion was the opiate of the people.
[
View Quote

Close, it was the opiate of the "masses"...or more modernized, the "sheeple".....

Some German philosopher, whose name I can't spell (phoneticaly, Neezchee) or von Clauswicz said "God is on the side of the big batallions"...so true.

Even that commie bastard Mao had a point: "Power flows from the barrel of a gun"
{maybe not an exact quote, but close)....

God? There have been more men/women/children tortured and murdered in "the name of Gawd/Allah/Yaweh, etc" than Hitler and Stalin could have even dreamed of on their best/worst day.

Religion? Where's the Kool Aid?

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't know what's more contradictory, the bible or the actions of the people who swear by it.
View Quote

I'll pay $100.00 to anyone that can show a contradiction in the bible. The truth of the matter is, if you say you believe in the bible and what it teaches then your accountable, and most people would rather sin than do what is right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I have become to believe in a supreme being and one day I will discover the reason as to why he is subjecting me to a lifetime of torment.

View Quote
You think your in torment now just wait....
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally posted by Ice15
I live by my values, which are much higher than a lot of "religious" people I have known.                                    
View Quote

Uhhhh, is the killing of the unborn one of your so called higher values??

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Gotta love these deep, religious AR15.com conflicts.  Who knew a bunch of gun nuts could convey intellegent conversation about the supreme being(s) and the history of man's concept of such a belief.

[i]*Pull Lever*  The Sheep says, "Baa-aa-aa-aa-aa"[/i]
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Your Born....You Die....You Decompose. End of story.

Human beings think too much. In reality we are no different than say a chimp, except for the fact that we are a little smarter and can talk. Therfore we choose not to believe that when we die that is it. It just isn't a real romantic thought. So we "think up" some story about the after life, "communicate" with others, and boom religion. I'm just glad i'm not the only one out there intelligent enough to understand this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I am a Christian (Police Chaplin), but far from perfect. Of course there is only One perfect man that ever lived upon the earth and that was Jesus Christ. Though I am not perfect I can say that I am forgiven both past, present, and future. That gives me a hope in eternity that none can take.

For those that are Christians and have voiced that openly on this forum--that takes faith or guts anyway you state it. For those of you that are not Christians, well let's just say that this post did not happen by accident, and God is preparing a blessing for someone.

May God Bless!

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#38]
you almost always find nonbelievers are angry about religeon and they should be. how about all the people religeon helped. science does not prove anything. where are the ape skaws in the "transition period". there are none. the big bang theory is the only thing they could come up with. it makes no sense. you believe that the universe just exploded. from what. if you think where god came from that blows your too. but religeon has more proof than science. there is a book out on this i'll try to find it.
just cause you see outright hipocrits(which we all are on a regular basis) who are religious doesn't mean he doesn't exist. just cause someone is religious doesn't mean they're not tempted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]
TWO books I remember is Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell and The Genesis Record...whose author's name escapes me...but he is a scientist who explodes the myths of evolution.........not sure if either of these are what you were thinking of.

Originally Posted By double tap:
you almost always find nonbelievers are angry about religeon and they should be. how about all the people religeon helped. science does not prove anything. where are the ape skaws in the "transition period". there are none. the big bang theory is the only thing they could come up with. it makes no sense. you believe that the universe just exploded. from what. if you think where god came from that blows your too. but religeon has more proof than science. there is a book out on this i'll try to find it.
just cause you see outright hipocrits(which we all are on a regular basis) who are religious doesn't mean he doesn't exist. just cause someone is religious doesn't mean they're not tempted.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:34:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, I can't really say I follow any particular religious beliefs, since I have different exposure from others also.  I was born a buddhist, spent most of my young life in a Catholic school, lived in  areas influenced by Muslim belief.

From what I experienced was that all religions seem to have a basic fundamental rule and belief so everyone can be happy, and live in  peace and harmony in this uncertain world. Of course, NO one religion is going to fit everybody.  NOT everyone likes McDonald hamburger or KFC chicken.  I don't care for sushi either. But, we do need to feed ourselves physically, mentally and spiritually.

So, what's the point of fighting over which religion is superior?  Or mine is better than yours? - I haven't a clue. Ego, maybe?  As a matter of fact, this fighting really discourage me from becoming part of the religions all together.

Anyhow, I just keep it simple- don't hurt, don't kill, don't take advantage of anyone.  Do good! - because what goes around do and will come around faster than you think.  

Yes, it's OK to wonder if GOD really exits or what will happen to me after I am dead, or how tomorrow or next week will turn out.  But, not at the expense of today, to do what's necessary.

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#41]
There are many cultures that far predate the Bible and if you study them and try to understand what they are saying you will find that most all teaching comes down to Common sense.
To a young child until he has been taught the right way will take the easy way and this will most offten be wrong. Put a cookie on the table, the kids will just take it unless he has been taught to ask because he does not own that cookie. Sort of whats wrong everywhere today.
We have to be taught morals, you're not born with them, they are learned. For some it may be religion.
As long as you believe in a Supreme person it doesn't really matter what or who you call him.
This is your moral compass, it needs to be found inside your soul. For some it takes a religon to help guide them. All is not lost just because you don't believe in a religon.
just my 0.02 Ron
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I have the Jesse Ventura view of organized religion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By double tap:
View Quote

First off, use a spell and grammar check. Second, use capital letters to start your sentence.  Failing that it is difficult to parse your writing.
Second, read a few REAL science books.  Then you won't spout ludicrous BS like "ape skaws?" and the Big Bang "exploding from what?"
I can't even address your questions because they are unintelligible, but I will tell you that man didn't evolve from ape, man IS a species of ape that evolved, along with the OTHER apes from an earlier anthropoid ancestor.
I will also tell you that the Big Bang wasn't an explosion, it was an expansion.
But the fact is, NEITHER of those theories has anything to do with belief in God. The vast majority of Christians in the world accept the fact that life evolved, and in fact the Big Bang theory is MORE in line with a created universe than the other alternative, which is a steady state universe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
TWO books I remember is Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell and The Genesis Record...whose author's name escapes me...but he is a scientist who explodes the myths of evolution.........not sure if either of these are what you were thinking of.
View Quote

First off, Josh McDowell is a frigging LAWYER.  Why the hell should I believe anything he has to say on theology, biology, physics, etc?  He read some biased science and theology books and bought the crap they said.
Second, there are no "myths of evolution" except those swallowed hook line and sinker by the people that desperately need to believe in a six-day creation.
Evolution is a fact.  There are various theories as to HOW evolution happens, but we do know it happens.
Evolution has nothing to do with whether there is a God.  If there is a God, He used evolution to create modern life. It's really that simple.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, Yeah, and a small branch of apes broke off from the pack in Africa and became humans, right?

And sgtar15 has it right...it is much easier to kill when you think no one is watching.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, Yeah, and a small branch of apes broke off from the pack in Africa and became humans, right?

And sgtar15 has it right...it is much easier to kill when you think no one is watching.
View Quote

Funny, there's been millions killed by those who have "faith", and they did it FOR the god that was watching them. Go figure.

It's the age old stance "You believe in what I believe in......or you wont be alive to believe in anything at all. Fun group.

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, I usually stay out of these arguements, but I guess I'd like to have a few questions answered. First of all, I do agree with several posts here, I have read several science books, and I still think evelution and the big bang do not hold up. Be it an expantion or the beginning of it all, I have never seen a credible explination for it. Don't get me started on the odds of Earth forming in just the right location with just the right conditions to support life and then having life form on top of that. I don't buy it. I could go on, but I'm really not here to "convert" anyone, one of your freedoms is to believe as you choose. However, I do have some questions:

First, if there is no "higher authority", why should I follow such socity rules such as killing is wrong and screwing over everyone I can is wrong? (or is screwing over people just another sign of my rugged manlyness and not a bad thing?)

Second, if all the laws and rules were made by people, what obligation am I under to follow them? Who are these people to dictate to me what is right or wrong? How can they be so positive they are right? What makes them right? Why should I care?

I do not see religion as a "crutch" and I resent people referring to it as such. (one friend of mine who constantly reffers to religion as "a crutch for those who feel the need to be lead" needs a crutch more than anyone else I know) I also don't take much stock in Ventura's views on the matter. Never  have I seen a man with such an overinflated ego. He definately suffers from "there can't possibly be anything out there bigger than me" syndrome. All this while making politics a bigger joke than it already is.

I want to address on more thing then I'll get off this rant. In responce to the post about the old woman getting out of the wheelchair. I don't know what church you went to, but I can assure you this sort of thing does not occur in ANY church I have been in.  Perhaps you should check around before labeling us all as part of this sort of sensationalism...

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Pascal.  Blaise PASCAL, not Paschal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Is it true that there are no athiests in foxholes?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#50]
George Brenard Shaw, an incredibly gifted Fabian Socialist bastard.  One who spewed marxist b.s. at capitalists, while living in carefree luxury with his wealthy Irish wife.

Other quotes from the Great One:

The 100 per cent American is 99 per cent an idiot
View Quote

With the exception of capitalism, there is nothing so revolting as revolution.
View Quote

Common people do not pray; they only beg.
View Quote

It seems to me, that 'The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality' is a phrase best used toward such Socialists and their ilk, who 'worship' the common man and then devise ever more clever methods of keeping him enslaved, to their 'god', the State.

I forgot who said this, but it is very apropos:

'The problem in not believing in God is not that you will believe in nothing, but that you will believe in everything.'

Eric The(non-Shavian)Hun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top