Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/8/2003 1:22:49 PM EDT
My parents brought to my attention that on their 48 plus acre farm in Tennessee, some local people are growing pot.  I went out in the woods (very overgrown with saw briers)  and saw some knee-high chicken wire enclosures a litte way off a logging road.  Recently, my mother noticed some ATV's around 2 am or so in that general area.  She talked to the Sheriff and their helo with FLIR won't be up in the air until around August, so the cops won't deal with these guys until then and only if they find them from the air.  Just curious to get your guys' input for ways of ridding family property of undesireables and their illegal trade.   I could wait for them one night and detain them for the cops, but I don't know the legalities of such an "ambush".  There is the option of killing any plants that sprout and just letting it go.  What do you folks think?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Roundup & bear traps?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say a gallon of Roundup and a sprayer would do the trick.  Just go out there and kill every plant you can find.   Leave a few spent shell casings around to scare them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What is TN's use of force laws like? Can you shoot tresspassers like in Texas?

Go out there yourself, tear up their plants, and find the trails they are using. Get a used Starlight Scope for your AR and wait for them.

If there is more than one trail get some of those remote controlled wildlife game cameras like they sell in the Caballas catalog and put them on the ones you don't intend to cover yourself.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
A few rounds just over their heads should do the trick. What are they gonna do? Call the cops?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Kill the plants and leave a note that says they are not welcome here, they will move on. To engage them in an ambush type situation is just asking for more trouble than it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
[size=4]Don't do it yet![/size=4]  Wait til those plants are almost ready for harvest.  Those fools will be working for all those months, watering, fertilizing, and checking on their plants only to arrive on that anticipated day of harvesting to find their babies gone.  That will really get them.  You will know the plants are coming close to being harvested when they fill in and become thick with "buds".  This means that they no longer look like weeds but have "colas", or long, heavy branches that you can't wrap your hand around.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man....  the opportunities for sport are just endless....
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
you guys have some decent ideas.  i would first put the tire spikes down but place them in view of the tree camera, that way you'll have some funny pics to look at.  then after you do that to them go in there and kill the plants.  sounds like a good time.  i'd definately carry while in that area.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Roundup and rocksalt (Better yet bacon fat)
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#11]
BE CAREFUL!

Normally I'd say leave the dope growers alone, but this is on your parents' farm, so it has to be dealt with.

Your parents are iin severe jeoprady.  According to the law, if they find dope growing on their property, the state may SEIZE your parents' land!

You are in a way lucky the law isn't trying to bust you.

But be careful, because dope growers often [url=http://www.friendlystranger.com/info/recreational_01/boobytraps3.htm]booby trap[/url] the land around their plots with deadly or disfiguring traps.

I would recommend killing the dope before the law gets involved, because there's a good chance under search and seizure laws your parents will be found guilty of growing dope on their land.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
well i donno about there........but here in texas, you can shoot people on your property at night time.  i say if they are on your property, go for it!  call me if you need back up.  :)
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont touch them!  PM me at the end of June and I will remove them from your property and haul them to the dump at no cost to you.Thanks,

looking forward to hearing from you,

-HS
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like it's time for an AR15.com campout and shoot at their place.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed! Sometimes I lie awake at night just dreaming of opportunities such as this. Be safe, but more importantly, have fun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
you can shoot people for traspassing in Texas?!!!

Man, bring on the next ice age so I can tolarate the heat. Any other states where this is the case?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A few rounds just over their heads should do the trick. What are they gonna do? Call the cops?
View Quote

Oh, btw, use tracers and move quickly.

Illumination flares would be fun too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Man, bring on the next ice age so I can tolarate the heat. Any other states where this is the case?
View Quote

Does anyone have the link to the section of the Texas code that explains the "shoot the tresspasser" law? To my amazement I have discovered I have never bookmarked or saved a copy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you should find out the penalties for growing pot on your property.  If you know the local law, ask them what they think you should do about it.  The gubmint can sieze your ranch/farm/property if they find you growing pot on it.  I'm not saying that they will, but they have the option to do so if they choose.  I would see what the local lawdogs can do about it, hell see if you can hire some of them in their off time to help you rid your folks property of it.  GET IT OUT OF THERE!!!!

Here in Texas, I'd simply blow the bastards straight back to hell.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Um cops, that might be handy for your parents arent seen as the growers? Why wait to have them destroyed have your parents report it so they wont be seen as the ones growing it in case it is discovered before anything can be done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Next I would ask a few friends to see if they can help you patrol that area at night. Be armed, as I am sure these growers will be.

Keep the local sheriff know of every step you take and document it.  
View Quote

MEMEMEMEME PICK ME!![bounce]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Let them finish the crop. Sneak out and shoot them all while they are working to harvest it. Then pay off the local sheriff and proceed to impersonate the grower's boss to try and sell the crop for personal gain.

Oh... wait.... that's the script of a Billy Bob Thornton movie...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The land can be confiscated if they find the pot. Wether or not it is yours.

I would suggest getting a working party out there and clearing that pot outta there. Have an LEO with you when you do it. So that you have proof that you are there destroying it and not harvesting it. That is all you need is for a group of you up-rooting the stuff and Johnny Law comes by to see it.

Next I would ask a few friends to see if they can help you patrol that area at night. Be armed, as I am sure these growers will be.

Keep the local sheriff know of every step you take and document it.  
View Quote

Get a lawyer too. Just because you told the sheriff that will not clear things with the DEA and the Federal Attorney if they get wind of this. Perhaps having your attorney send a letter explaining this to the local DEA ahead of time? Not being a lawyer myself I cant say for sure but I think that may work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
have you considered telling them you want 60% of their profits for taking on the risk of letting them grow on your land?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure you could convince a few dozen of us to drive to TN for a shoot. That would be awesome. Could you imagine about 30 of us opening up from a treeline at night? Holy $hit would they piss their pants.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Well let's see.. You have informed the local LEOs that there is illegal activity going on on your property which now places the property in jeopardy under federal and possible state seizure laws (I don't know TN laws) because it is drug/drug related. Furthermore you have taken no active steps to  halt this activity which imperils the property owners criminally both federally and state-wise. This is a very real and very big problem, because you have now invited trouble. The LEO may be waiting for a return of a true bill before moving out to seize the land and imprision your family FLIR or no FLIR. The FLIR excuse may simply be a ruse designed to buy time for the true bill and to allow the dope to mature so that the drug seizure becomes large enough in weight and estimated street value to be newsworthy, but hey, I am paranoid when it comes to that sort of thing.

Actively defeating the growers may be a problem. You stand a real chance of getting hit with retribution. They may vandalize your property or burn down your house. One way to keep that from happening is to get a local reporter to come down with a camera and to get a deputy to come out on a detail. Explain the situation to the deputy and get his supervisor's approval because the local SO is so overworked, and have him come out and stand around for photos while you hack down the crop with a balaclava on. The deputy will appreciate the money and the press, the reporter will appreciate the good story, and it will look like a SO-only operation reducing the chances of payback against you.

Another way to do it is to strip the plants bare leaving only stalks. This will make it look like highschool kids stole the buds and leaves. An adult would just chop it down. This will also reduce the chance of payback.

Things to watch for are shotgun shell mousetraps, caltrops, eye-level fish hooks, and punji pits. In short, keep the women and kids away.  

Finally, there is the all night stakeout. If you catch them and videotape them tending their plants, you can arrest them and turn them over to the SO. This is extremely dangerous, and I would not recommend it. If you do it, bring a friend who has his shit wired tight.

DO NOT do as some have suggested and put out man traps. You will end up in some serious doo doo if you go that route.

Just my .02. Where are you in TN. I recently moved back to north GA. If you want a volunteer I might be available.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell, I'd drive down for that!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Harvest and sell it before they do. Good weed is hard to find...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Does anyone have the link to the section of the Texas code that explains the "shoot the tresspasser" law? To my amazement I have discovered I have never bookmarked or saved a copy.
View Quote

[url=http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=WRPQFCOFRJGP&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=125690&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=14&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES]Texas Penal Code - Chapter 9[/url]
SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

§ 9.41. Protection of One's Own Property

(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

§ 9.42. Deadly Force to Protect Property

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

§ 9.43. Protection of Third Person's Property

A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.

§ 9.44. Use of Device to Protect Property

The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:

(1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and

(2) use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 913, ch. 342, § 6, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I share your sentiment...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Be very careful.  Those folks take their business "deathly" serious.  Don't go to the property alone or unarmed.

You also might want to call the state police or DEA yourself.  If the crop will mature and be harvested in June, it seems too convenient that the FLIR won't be available until August.

It would not be the first time a local sheriff has been in on the game.  And that also makes your personal safety a bigger concern.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Burn 'em to the ground and defile their ashes.  Then take their dope.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Be very careful.  Those folks take their business "deathly" serious.  Don't go to the property alone or unarmed.

You also might want to call the state police or DEA yourself.  If the crop will mature and be harvested in June, it seems too convenient that the FLIR won't be available until August.

It would not be the first time a local sheriff has been in on the game.  And that also makes your personal safety a bigger concern.
View Quote

Read it...heed it.  See Soylent_Green's post too.  Do something soonest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
thank you frisco.

so, is Tennessee law anything like this?

Another thing to consider, to get some help to get the stuff off your property and to let everyone know that it isn't yours is to call some local media and let them know of your problem and what you are going to do about it, and what the Sheriff isn't doing about it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I really appreciate the ideas guys.  I live in Athens, GA, so I only get up there on occasion.  They are up in Crossville, TN.  This is a very minor operation of maybe a handful of plants.  I have been on the look out for any booby traps of any kind.  The Sheriff said the previous owner's son got busted growing pot  out in the same area.  This land is so far out in the country it takes 30 minutes minimum to get police out there.    Getting into an all-out armed exchange would not be desireable but knowing the area would go un noticed.  

On a side note, you guys brought up a good idea that I will look into.  Hell, a group shoot out there would be awesome, I just dont have any ranges set up as of yet, even though it wouldn't be much of a problem to do the setup.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Good idea Lib, make the Sherrif look bad, you know, the guy who can imprison them and seize their land at will.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Marijuna plants grown outdoor in the USA would not be ready for harvest in June. More like September through October depending on whether the pot is of the indica or sativa variety. You see, the female plants don't start budding until they start getting less than 12 hours of light a day, and then take 2-3 months to grow and ripen their buds. Fall is harvest time for pot, not the middle of summer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good idea Lib, make the Sherrif look bad, you know, the guy who can imprison them and seize their land at will.[rolleyes]
View Quote

Yeah, right, sure.[rolleyes]

Your tinfoil is a little too tight. Your getting oxygen starvation.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Frisco, is a farm truck considered a movable under TX law? In LA a regular passenger vehicle is a movable, but a farm vehicle is not. The law is structured that way to allow farmers to keep their livelyhoods in event of financial ruin, but it could be prudent to check in event of a car jacking self defense scenario. If the TX law mirrors the LA law, self defense may be imperiling to the defender should the car jacking ba made against a farm truck. Splitting hairs, I know, but still, I don't trust lawyers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, right, sure.[rolleyes]

Your tinfoil is a little too tight. Your getting oxygen starvation.
View Quote

Don't know much about the south, do ya boy?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Marijuna plants grown outdoor in the USA would not be ready for harvest in June. More like September through October depending on whether the pot is of the indica or sativa variety. You see, the female plants don't start budding until they start getting less than 12 hours of light a day, and then take 2-3 months to grow and ripen their buds. Fall is harvest time for pot, not the middle of summer.
View Quote

And you are so knowledgeable because....[party][):)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#43]
how many plants you talking about?  if its only a couple it wouldnt really bother me.  probably somebody growing it for personal use.  i dont think i would have talked to the police about it unless there was a huge crop growing.  that might come back to hurt them.  what are a couple plants gonna hurt?  when you go destroy them for your amusement i think the 'grower' might then want to destroy something of yours.  i dont think a couple plants are worth the potential headaches.  just my opinion.  i dont know everything about the situation though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And you are so knowledgeable because....[party][):)]
View Quote

Ya see, when I was younger, I did not want to support terrorists by buying pot from mexicans, so in the interest of national security I decided to grow it instead. I was always a patriot, even before the patriot act. LOL
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Leave it alone they are not hurting anything, it is better than them supporting terrorists right.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
how many plants you talking about?  if its only a couple it wouldnt really bother me.
View Quote

i'm for legalization, but i wouldn't tolerate a single sprout growing on my property (if i had any [:(]

any gubnumint goon with a hardon for filling the coffers can take their farm
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#47]
It is a weed they grow all over my property, I have no idea how they got there, but I have been known to pick a few for making a few smokes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#48]
HEll just goin out there and spraying it would be all that fun. Get a water balloon launcher with balloons filled with deisel or somethign and have a great day. Gotta make it fun.
Always liked those launchers
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Due to my not being in the area, I only visit on occasion.  When I do get there, the back 40 are all grown up with saw briers and underbrush.  When I did go tromping back through there I came upon a handful of little growing places.  I didn't look very much more.  I know there have to be more, its all a matter of finding them, and with multiple acres covered in skin-shredding briers, my motivation for further exploration was minimal.  I was willing to look the other way for a couple of plants.  Then, my mother told me about the ATV action at night.   To me that says that people (possibly armed) are venturing on my land in the middle of the night when my mother and young sister are in the house alone (albeit very heavily armed) and that dog just don't hunt with me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Due to my not being in the area, I only visit on occasion.  When I do get there, the back 40 are all grown up with saw briers and underbrush.  When I did go tromping back through there I came upon a handful of little growing places.  I didn't look very much more.  I know there have to be more, its all a matter of finding them, and with multiple acres covered in skin-shredding briers, my motivation for further exploration was minimal.  I was willing to look the other way for a couple of plants.  Then, my mother told me about the ATV action at night.   To me that says that people (possibly armed) are venturing on my land in the middle of the night when my mother and young sister are in the house alone (albeit very heavily armed) and that dog just don't hunt with me.
View Quote
I [b]can[/b] understand that part of it. Best thing you can do without starting a war is take their plants, cut them off so they know they have been stolen, they will move on to more remote parts and leave you and yours alone. [b]note[/b] after you do that if you ever go back look out for booby traps, punji sticks and such, they will be pissed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top