Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2003 11:21:16 AM EDT
I am not sure about this bill. I have plans to buy some more guns however not sure if I should do it now or if this bill happens will they take the guns I bought before it was passed. Is it going to become a new preband type bill?

Please let me know. I found some money I had in a account and can pay for my bills until my new jobs starts and have a good amount of money for some spending only plan to spend $1000 however at most since I want some left in case another rainy day.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy as many parts kits NOW. They want them banned.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy stripped lowers.  They're cheap, and you can build them up into whatever you want at a later date if the laws are more friendly.
Even if the laws get worse, you can build them into pre-postbans, or post-prebans or post-postbans???  Hell, now I'm confused...

So $1000 could get you 10 AR lowers.
If the ban goes away, we all win.
If the ban stays as is, then you break even, and can sell the lowers if you wish.
If the ban is replaced with a more oppressive bad, it's a win-lose situation.  You can't get new guns, but you have 10 ARs that are probably worth a lot more now.  (yeah, yeah, put an upper on one, and swap it onto all the lowers once, so you can claim that it existed in that configuration prior to the ban)

HOWEVER, if the new ban is horribly oppressive and bans all existing 'assault weapons', well then we're all fucked...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that was the only way I was going to afford a bunch for $1000 lol. But if this bill passes and I purchase before the bill I will be safe?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Paul, they could always make replacement parts subject to a ban or other restriction.

What happens if they ban the sales of uppers?  God knows we already have too many of these WMD's on the streets as it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought we did this regardless of any laws?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, Paul beat me to it, but that's my thinking.

As far as parts kits, I don't know about that.  We're talking about alot of money, and no actual 'gun'.  What good are 10 parts kits going to be when all new transfer of civvy receivers are banned.  Same goes the other way, but at least with the receiver, you've got the serial numbered part so as long as you can scrap up the parts, you will have a complete gun.

Also, the whole parts kit crack down thing comes up every couple of years when BATFE gets bored and wants to play with their new thermite grenades.  I think it'll pass.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Paul, they could always make replacement parts subject to a ban or other restriction.

What happens if they ban the sales of uppers?  God knows we already have too many of these WMD's on the streets as it is.
View Quote

That's possible, and I hope they aren't that smart.

But there are a crap load of uppers and general AR parts around, that you could probably scrape together enough for your existing guns, at a price.  Yeah, not a pretty scenario, but better than if you never had the lowers to start with.

Also, I think that it would be hard for them to convince the 'sheeple' that replacement parts are evil and dangerous by themselves.  It's easier for them to ban the serial numbered part, since that's the actual 'gun', but if you start talking about banning replacement parts, all the shotgun and bolt-rifle folks will get huffy and actually join us in our fight against these bans.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I've bought 9 lowers in the past 3 months.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]
To answer your question, yes you should buy all the ARs and FALs you can. Not as a precaution, but rather as a principle of life.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
No, I would save the money, you cant use that
many AR's anyways, maybe just one extra for a
custom project, I only believe in buying something if I can make use of it, since Im in
California and I plan to stay in Ca. I wouldnt
buy something that was going to be banned, because it would just be a waste of money, during the pre-Y2K days I was buying extra parts and ammo just because everybody else was
but I found that it was just a waste of money
and I ended up selling most of it, because I
didnt really need it. I wouldnt recommend any
"impulse buying".
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are you defying the president when he and the attorney general believes that those types of guns are particularly suited to criminal misuse and should have restricted possession?

Go ahead and get a democrat elected then.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]
ohhh Imbro you always make me laugh!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to see you back Imbro.

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You ain't kidding.  I clubbed a baby seal to death with my .458 SOCOM upper last week.  That 16" FIRSH handguard really messes them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top