Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2003 11:18:19 AM EDT
TONIGHT ON THE CBS EVENING NEWS

It's called a "spud gun", but behind the quirky name is a dangerous weapon that kids can make out of stuff they find around the house. The story on tonight's CBS EVENING NEWS.

[IMG]http://members.tripod.com/j-shortreed/_derived/gallery.htm_txt_standgun.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Ban veggies....for the children don't you know!

The worst part is, Kalifonistan will now try to pass a .10 tax on each and every potato or componant there of.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Spud guns are fun!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
[rolleyes]

I guess it was just a matter of time. Ban PVC! Background checks for hairspray!  It's for the children!

Spud guns are all the rage with German kids, and they have been banned there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I made one and have pics, when I get a new scanner I will post them.

It is no longer after it exploded and threw me about 6 feet. The end cap flew off and hit me in the chest. I had a imprint of my shirt on my skin for about a month.

Still was fun lol. And about being stuff around the hose I sure didnt have alot of the stuff alot of stuff you wouldnt find in your home if making a high powered spud gun (700fps)
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#5]
i built a "carbine" "long" and "standard" at one point, great fun, and geeeezus those things launch those potatoes

hairspray stunk like hell and wasnt all that reliable, wd-40 was a no go, so i got the bright idea to use acetylene instead.............worked great.  then i wanted a little more power and thought, hell, lets throw in some pure oxygen as well...............worked better, until i got the mixture right and blew the cap off the back.  just lucky nobody got hurt.  pure acetlylene works great though.

and no, i didnt use any of the 50,000 gallons of propane on this place, that may have worked too well
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I used mosquito spray, but it is too powerful a solvent and would weld the end cap shut.

I saw my first spud gun in 1996.  It was standing up against the wall at a party I was attending.  I was just wondering what it was for about 1/2 an hour before I asked the host "WTF is that thing?  I can't figure out what it is."

That led to a demonstration, and I built my own a few weeks later [:)]  Fun as hell.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody try Ronson lighter fluid?  Or, hell, you can buy butane now.

Back when soda and beer cans were steel and you had to open them with church-keys, we would use those and duct tape them together to make tennis ball mortars. Flaming tennis balls are beautiful in the night sky.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Rubbing alcohol and a tennis ball and play catch its so dam fun  to throw a fire ball back and forth.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Heres mine.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgAAAOgZy06Lq2xtBaIQuCbKjUfbmegmCHe80f7vEso5P17vnGmCj4CH1JrU67cl3E77XJcngkQCcGhvt91hOhT57RoMACaWb6Y0Os7alhQsmrZSSq*Kf1vrR4Z0Fn1Q/tater-cannon.jpg?dc=4675421069262943215[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I compressed air with a pump to about 100 psi then let her rip.  Heard is was safer that way and you get more consistant results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top