Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 5:50:26 AM EDT
Any ARfs been to Big Bend Nat'l Park TX in June?

Thinking of taking my two young sons.  Is June too hot?  Or, is it more of a dry heat and tolerable?  Their kinda young 5 & 7.  I don't want to fry anyone.  Mom would get a little upset.  It would be the first week.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It starts to get pretty hot that time of year.  By the end of June, it's almost intolerable.  I think I would pass on bringing the children.

Last time I went was in March a few years back.  It was already pretty damn hot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Summer is the rainy season in Big Bend, so you get the occaisional rain to cool things off. I have been three times, all in summer, and it isn't bad at all.

If the rains have been heavy then Cattail Falls should be pumping hard, which kicks ass. I never thought I would see hummingbirds, maidenhair ferns, and orchids in a desert.

Boquillas is a good place to take the kids so they can see what the third world looks like up close. Buy some amethyst while you are there. Please.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You are gonna love it. You may be hot, but the kids won't notice. Camp at the highest campground. You might take an umbrella or ponchos, small packs, trail snacks and plenty water. Kids need flashlights.
Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Big Bend is beautiful any time of year. June is hot, but its a dry heat.....105 degrees in Big Bend is WAY more comfortable than 95 degrees in Corpus Christi.  Sight seeing...definately check out Boquillas, Santa Elena canyon, if youre into hiking, go up to the "Window"  I started going out to Big Bend w/ my grandfather when I was about 10.  I will be out there from 31 May till 5 June riding ATVs on the Terlingua Ranch...another place you should look into.  Ride out to Lajitas also...maybe you'll run into Willie or Kris on the porch of the saloon.  any other questions..drop me an IM.  

Styk
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, your kids may like fossil hunting at Terlingua. It is a good way to spend an afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! for all the replys.  I will note all the places mentioned.

Harv, I doubt that with the kids I'll be able to hike up to the high country to camp.  Too much to hump by myself.  But, I have a 4X4 truck and was planning on spending the night at one of the backcounty 4X4 sites.  Has anyone done that?  I kinda have reservations because I'll be the only adult.

Thanks! again

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks! for all the replys.  I will note all the places mentioned.

Harv, I doubt that with the kids I'll be able to hike up to the high country to camp.  Too much to hump by myself.  But, I have a 4X4 truck and was planning on spending the night at one of the backcounty 4X4 sites.  Has anyone done that?  I kinda have reservations because I'll be the only adult.

Thanks! again

View Quote
oh absolutely amigo, get outa the park and head towards terlingua...out to study butte and lajitas area, hit some of those ole back roads ..you can find old adobe towns...strip mining pits....old cinabar mines...you name it...at some of the old mines..you can find vehicles from that time period...there are still core samples in one guard shack at a mine we ran across...all dated in the i BELIEVE the 30s and 40s..i cant relcall exactly.  LOTS to do out there, and its gorgeous too!  sunsets like none other!  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But, I have a 4X4 truck and was planning on spending the night at one of the backcounty 4X4 sites.  Has anyone done that?  I kinda have reservations because I'll be the only adult.
View Quote

The first night I was there, I arrived too late and stayed down by the river in a grassy area.

After that, I stayed about 15 miles from civilization on one of the backcountry sites.  I highly recommend bringing a spare tire or two.  I had one tire shredded by cactus spines.  Not much fun to change a tire in sand.

Also, the roads are grated.  It's quite uncomfortable to drive slowly.  I think I was doing about 40-50mph most of the time, with the occasional hard braking to slow down for washouts/dropoff/etc.  If you can find a map, I'll tell you the exact site I stayed at.  I loved it, and will go back again.

BTW, my 4x4 is a Durango, and it easily handled the toughest trails they had to offer.

(Another) BTW, if your children are the type that can't keep their hands out of their mouths, STAY AWAY FROM THE CINNABAR MINES.  The chemical composition of Cinnabar is HgS (Hg = Mercury).  It's is very possible to get mercury poisoning by ingesting the red cinnabar dust.  There will be signs all over about that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again, with the kids age and all most of the sight seeing will be from the truck.  I do plan on hitting Terlingua, Study Butte, and Lajitas. I love to shoot film as well as bullets :) Now, I have one spare, I guess I should look into finding another one.

What about insects?  Could we sleep in the back of the truck or would we need and enclosure.  I'll be bringing a tent though, just curious.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
hey amigo...you should have no problem sleeping in the back of the truck...minus the occasional evening shower.  we used to sleep on the flatbed trailer we pulled our ATVs on...if it rained..we just covered up w/ a tarp.  but insects...doubt they will be a problem.    question ...when you travel..do you usually keep a pistol or something in the pickup??  we have encountered a few things that ..in my mind make this necessary.  1. pissed off mtn. lion, 2. a small cave w/ an ammo & weapons stockpile (hmmm) and 3. a cave w/ a few pentagrams and crap painted on the walls and a few decaying goats....dont let that scare you though...both 2. and 3. were MANY MANY miles off the beaten path.  needless to say...i pack heat in west texas.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
hehehe, born and raised in Texas.  With the boys, if I sense trouble, we're outta there.  If trouble comes to us, they picked the wrong possum.  Even though it's summer, the heater is always on!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Big Bend in June?

You'll die of heat prostitution.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I live about 3 hours from Big Bend in Midland so Ive been there a few times. Heres the best thing about going in June: it isn't crowded whatsoever! The fall and early spring are when most of the tourists go, sometimes in the summer its like having the whole park to yourself. I recommend hitting up the Hot Springs. And my favorite place to camp is one of the ones down by the Rio Grande(dont remember the name). Its a nice place, should be warm in June, but youll have fun

Oh and Joe, the heat is very tolerable. We have almost ZERO humidity out here and at Big Bend most of the time. Hell, even I cant stand San Antonio and Houston in the summer, the humidity murders me

Oh and Styk, dont be such a poon, whats a weapons cache and a few dead goats gonna hurt anyways [:P]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live about 3 hours from Big Bend in Midland so Ive been there a few times. Heres the best thing about going in June: it isn't crowded whatsoever! The fall and early spring are when most of the tourists go, sometimes in the summer its like having the whole park to yourself. I recommend hitting up the Hot Springs. And my favorite place to camp is one of the ones down by the Rio Grande(dont remember the name). Its a nice place, should be warm in June, but youll have fun

Oh and Joe, the heat is very tolerable. We have almost ZERO humidity out here and at Big Bend most of the time. Hell, even I cant stand San Antonio and Houston in the summer, the humidity murders me

Oh and Styk, dont be such a poon, whats a weapons cache and a few dead goats gonna hurt anyways [:P]
View Quote
damn..did i say weapons cache?  sorry MDC (shaking head) i let that slip..and you heard it...sorry bro....look outside your window.....RED TEAM GO!!! RED TEAM GO!!!!  

oh..and joe..another afterthought....i'm not sure if the ole guy still owns the store in study butte..but its a nice place in the evenings to sit on the porch and have a brew...he used to give out plaques too if you drank a beer w/ him on the porch the "STUDY BUTTE PORCH SOCIETY" LOL.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, the lodge was booked solid.  I couldn't book a week Mon-Fri.  Only Sat-wed.  So, hope it's not too crowded.

And, the ammo and weapons stockpile?  Uh, don't you mean "losers weepers finders keepers" [:)]
btw, StykUrHedUp, you wouldn't happen to remember where that cave is would you?  If they come back clear, it'd be worth the trip itself.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
if youre talkin bout the terlingua ranch being booked solid...that would probably be my group goin out there, LOL.  as far as remembering where the cave was EXACTLY...no..but i remember the area.  i could probably find it w/ a little searching.  

check out this website joe: [url]http://www.watchingyou.com/bigbend/drivingtobigbend.html[/url]

a few other things ..on your way out....stop off at langtry...and see judge roy bean's place ..also...one evening..drive the kids back to marfa and check out the marfa lights...its pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It continues to baffle me why people come out here for entertainment [:P]. Marfa lights are decent, you can also check out Fort Davis, great little town. Or if youre into swimming Balmorhea state park(look em up if youre interested).

Oh and Styk....I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WERE A FED [:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It continues to baffle me why people come out here for entertainment [:P]. Marfa lights are decent, you can also check out Fort Davis, great little town. Or if youre into swimming Balmorhea state park(look em up if youre interested).

Oh and Styk....I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WERE A FED [:D]
View Quote
i'm not a FED...but "we" ARE watching you MDC! [(:|)]

oh..joe...depending on the route yall take out there...also check out davis mtns. park...and while there...drive up and check out mcdonald observatory...very cool to camp in the park..then go up to one of the shows at night the observatory puts on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Big Bend is beautiful any time of year. June is hot, but its a dry heat.....105 degrees in Big Bend is WAY more comfortable than 95 degrees in Corpus Christi.  Sight seeing...definately check out Boquillas, Santa Elena canyon, if youre into hiking, go up to the "Window"  I started going out to Big Bend w/ my grandfather when I was about 10.  I will be out there from 31 May till 5 June riding ATVs on the Terlingua Ranch...another place you should look into.  Ride out to Lajitas also...maybe you'll run into Willie or Kris on the porch of the saloon.  any other questions..drop me an IM.  
Styk
View Quote

DITTO the Window hike!!! IM me also if you have any questions...If June is the only time you can do it...THEN DO IT!!! I went in March and it was not bad...June is a bit hot here in Texas, but it is a very cool place to go...BTW it is not legal to keep a "loaded" weapon in the park...However a pistol locked back and a loaded mag in my pack made me feel much safer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
The window is the trail i saw the bear on [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks! guys,

Styk, I spent an hour on the link.  Thank you!

Joe
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Been going out to Big Bend for years.  We camp and take road trips on the motorcycles,  the only way to really get around.

June on the desert floor is really going to be a cooker, look into carrying a large water supply. If you can get up onto the rim it wouldn't be worse than anywhere else in South Texas.

Since you have kids,  Balmorhea is going to be a must stop,  the water is great.

If you are driving at night watch out for the deer. A mulie and a motorcycle just don't mix.

Without a doubt carry a gun and stick a rifle under the truck seat.  We've run into some really unpleasant folks out there, though never actually in the park.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Joe,
In June I'd camp up at Chisos Basin. High enough to be cool in the evenings and with the kids the bathrooms are a plus. The snakes are really out in June down at the lower elevations. You can visit the canyon areas in the daytime but still be sleeping where it's more comfortable. You can't cross over to Boquillas anymore, it's a security thing and they are patrolling the river and taking it serious. In March, the rangers patrolling the campgrounds had racked ARs and shotguns  in their trucks, they used to never even have so much as a sidearm with them.

Lots of good info on the park website.
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/

Have a good time but keep a close eye on the kids.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The window is the trail i saw the bear on [:)]
View Quote

I like reading the bear reports...one account of a sighting just read "BIG BLACK BEAR WATCH OUT!!!" Thought it was pretty funny.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top