Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 5:30:54 AM EDT
..I think.

I call a few times a week, every week and leave messages for "My President".

Only once before, days before we gave Saddam 48 hours was I asked a further question. Their MO is to take your comment, record your 'vote' and thank you.

This morning, as for the last month, my topic was the AWB. She asked me afterwards "Will his decision affect your future voting decisions". I was surprised she asked. I said without hesitation, "Yes".

I urge you all to take a few minutes and call GW on a regular basis.

202-456-1111
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Will call tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I urge you all to take a few minutes and call GW on a regular basis.

202-456-1111
View Quote

It definately sounds like they are taking it a little more seriously.

What information do you have to give out when you call?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to know, I will be calling them bright and early tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets flood the lines every morning.  How about locking this each day and reposting it the next to get everyone to do it?  I'd imagine that 100 calls every day about it would bring a lot of attention.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've called. It's easy.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I emailed him and told him "I cannot in good conscience vote for someone in favor of the AWB".
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Before we get all worked up about this please remember that Arie Fliesher has stated that the president supports the AWB as it is in its present form. Which does mean that it will sunset in 2004 in its present form. But I would like one of President Bush's speakers to clearly state that it will indeed be allowed to sunset in 2004.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck on the AWB as it was just reported on NBC Nightly News that Bush will support an extension of the ban. His spokesman said he made a campaign promise to extend it and he will keep his word.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Once a week, everything helps... except in the Caliban controlled region [V]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks CavVet. That would only cost me .40/call..

Do you know if that's a 24 hour ##??

BTT
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Arie was getting grilled in the press conference today.  He is still sticking to his guns that "The President will keep the promise he made in 2000".  That promise was to support the AWB.  More than one reporter asked him detailed info today, and even brought up the idea of it being killed in Congress and is the President ton worried about losing his Republican base of voters.  He danced around the topic a bit, and basically said that "The President sides with the NRA on many issues, but not this one".  This is the most interest I have personally seen in the issue by reporters so far.  It's going to get nasty.

Cope
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget to keep pestering your congress critters too. If he never sees it, he can't sign it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is the most interest I have personally seen in the issue by reporters so far.  It's going to get nasty.
View Quote

It looks like Bush's strategy is starting to back fire on him.  By siding with the liberals I bet he was hoping to avoid any major debate about the issue.  Now the reporters are grilling him about stabbing his supporters in the back and if he is sure he really means what he says.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Arie was getting grilled in the press conference today.  He is still sticking to his guns that "The President will keep the promise he made in 2000".  That promise was to support the AWB.  More than one reporter asked him detailed info today, and even brought up the idea of it being killed in Congress and is the President ton worried about losing his Republican base of voters.  He danced around the topic a bit, and basically said that "The President sides with the NRA on many issues, but not this one".  This is the most interest I have personally seen in the issue by reporters so far.  It's going to get nasty.

Cope
View Quote
Read the last answer - Bush says he supports it but won't lift a finger to push its passage. By his actions (or inactions) he'll be judged.

MR. FLEISCHER: Well, the President thought, and said so at the time in 2000, that the assault weapon ban was a reasonable step. The assault weapon ban was crafted with the thought that it would deter crime. There are still studies underway of its crime deterring abilities, but the President thought that was reasonable, and that's why he supported it. And that's why he supports the reauthorization of the current ban.

Q Does it work?

MR. FLEISCHER: There are, indeed, studies underway that will determine that. And we'll await those studies to make any final conclusions. But that's exactly what the President said in 2000.

Q But he's willing to disappoint a pretty big supporter here, the NRA, based on some ongoing studies, or does he have a more fundamental belief that these kinds of weapons should not --

MR. FLEISCHER: He believed it in 2000, before studies were completed; he continues to believe it now. We'll see if the studies provide any additional information. But the President focuses on this issue like he does on all -- he focuses it on the merits. He makes his determinations. Often the President will agree, of course, with the National Rifle Association. On this issue he does not.

Q One more point on this. Forgive me for wading into the politics of issues like this, but he doesn't think that there's -- is he concerned about taking steps that put him at odds with his Republican base, or does he feel like really he's built himself up so much it's not an issue?

MR. FLEISCHER: No, I think when you look across-the-board at the positions the President takes, the President evaluates the issues that come before him based on the facts, based on the merits. He makes the determinations, and then others are free to say whether they agree or disagree with the President. I think his view to whether it's an issue that's important to one party or another party, or to many people in the middle, his view is, do what's right, and let people interpret it from there. In this instance, you know what he said, as you pointed out, in 2000. He continues to believe it today.

Q Ari, on that, last night Karl Rove was in New Hampshire, and he spoke with one of the leading gun activists in the state, who says on his website today that Karl Rove said Congress isn't going to pass this extension anyway, and so gun owners don't have to worry, the President is going to be for the extension, but Congress isn't going to pass it anyway. Is that the President's attitude, that this bill isn't really coming his way?

MR. FLEISCHER: Well, I think you can talk to any number of handicappers about any number of issues that are pending before the Congress and probably get an equal number of opinions. So this is a matter that the Congress will be taking up, and they will be taking it up now, knowing what the President's position is on it. And I can't make any predictions about what Congress ultimately will do. It's a business that outsiders engage in and insiders engage in; we'll see who's right.

Q According to this gentleman, Karl Rove was engaging in that. Given the fact that Republicans do control the Congress and that getting this passed, getting it onto the agenda will require Republican leadership, is the President willing to fight for this, to fight for the extension of the assault weapons ban?

MR. FLEISCHER: The President has made his position known. And during the course of the debate, I imagine that people will refer to the President's position and cite it, and I will continue to repeat it. The President, you will watch his actions and judge for yourself over time.

[red]Q So no plan to make any calls on this, to spend political capital to get this done?

MR. FLEISCHER: [b]No,[/b] as I indicated, I think you'll be able to judge the President's actions by observing them yourselves. [/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
OmegaMan,

Thanks for the official transcript.  I paraphrased from memory, and I guess I didn't miss it by all that much. Those were just the statements that caught my attention.  

It appears to me that he may be planning on using the reports as a last ditch "out" on this issue when it really heats up.  I hope the reports, or "studdies", are favorable.

I know actions speak louder than words, but Bush is going to have to personally answer questions on the issue before long.  Time will tell.....

Cope

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Studies? What studies?

And what more do you need than to open up the FBI Uniform Crime Reports for the last 3 decades?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Studies? What studies?
View Quote

I sure as HELL hope he's not referring to the Violence Policy Center's trumped up report.

Cope
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I will be calling the president to tell him to stay the course and ignore the extremist radicals who only want to abuse their priviledges in this great democracy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]IT IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN.[/b]  If the AWB makes it to GWB's desk, he is going to sign it.  Lets make sure that it doesn't make it to his desk.  Our best chance to kill this bill is in the House.

The other real threat is to watch out for Democratic dirty tricks.  The Dems know that the house is not going to pass the AWB and will probably pull all the stops on this one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
[b]IT IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN.[/b]  If the AWB makes it to GWB's desk, he is going to sign it.  Lets make sure that it doesn't make it to his desk.  Our best chance to kill this bill is in the House.
View Quote

MAGIC is correct!

I'm just wondering though, even if it's defeated in 2004 won't the DEM's just try again in '05,'06,'07 etc.  ?????

It's going to be a long 18 months!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bush supports ban on assault arms
By David Gregory, NBC News correspondent

The ban on assault weapons has put President Bush at odds with the National Rifle Association, a powerful lobby he counts among his staunchest supporters. The question is whether to extend the ban on the weapons, which expires next year. Bush says yes; the NRA says no.

BUSH SUPPORTED the weapons ban when he ran for president in 2000 and Thursday his spokesman said the NRA hasn't changed his mind.
"This is about a promise he made, a commitment he gave because he thought on substance this was reasonable," said his press secretary, Ari Fleischer.

Gun control advocates on Capitol Hill are elated.

"If the president wants this bill to become a law, it will," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.

The NRA is girding for battle. It cites studies showing the ban has failed to conclusively reduce crime.

"We're going to work with Congress to make sure that this law never reaches the president's desk," said the NRA's executive director, Chris Cox.

For Bush, confronting the NRA sounds like a risky political move. The group has given more than $5 million to Republicans since Bush took office, and this White House is known for keeping its Republican base happy.

In fact, Bush has been in lockstep with the NRA on gun issues -- most notably by backing the push to limit lawsuits against gun makers.

But there is at least one reason that the president's position makes political sense.

Election exit polls from 2000 show 60 percent of voters supported stricter gun control laws. Many were women with children, a key group of swing voters that will once again play a pivotal role in the 2004 campaign.

[red]All of this may be a non-issue for the White House. Despite his support for the ban, there's no indication Bush will lobby for it, and his top political adviser, Karl Rove, has predicted privately there is little chance it will pass the Republican Congress.[/red]

MSNBC Terms, Conditions and Privacy ©2003
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The other real threat is to watch out for Democratic dirty tricks.  The Dems know that the house is not going to pass the AWB and will probably pull all the stops on this one.
View Quote

I agree with the importance in the congresscritters, mine is wasted on cuntwell & murry. I still call them until I am blue in the face.

GW, despite this statement, listens to polls like any other politician. If they are asking questions, they may try and figure out an alternative strategy, if nothing more than making sure it doesnt get to his desk.

I call my President more than I call my Momma. Im almost ashamed to admit that, but shes a Demonrat, hes in charge!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
The commie news network reported this morning that the Pres. is looking at a study about the use of AW in violent crime. Keep up the pressure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Magic is right that if you can only write one letter, write it to your Representative in the U.S. House.

However, we need to keep the pressure on Bush too. If he starts actively twisting arms on this, things could get difficult real fast. We need to make absolutely sure that at most his support is limited to "Hey, get it to my desk and I'll sign it."

The hours for the White House comment line are 9am-5pm Eastern
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Just called. Did you?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I have already been bugging my congresscritter, so I will call the white house this morning.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Guys, don't just worry about your Senators.  Those of you who live in WA, CA, NY, etc. aren't off the hook, just because you know their positions.

Sure, they will never change.

The REAL fight will be in the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES!  CALL YOUR REP!  The Senate may be lost, but the House is not!

Any extension, reauthorization, or new bill will have to pass BOTH houses in order to go to the President.

The Senate may make it hard to pass Bush's tax cut, but the House will make it hard to pass another AWB!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#30]
bump
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#31]
^
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Message left.  Letter being written now.

BTT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#33]
[url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/05/08/congress.guns.reut/index.html]Dems seek Bush's assistance in AWB renewal[/url]

It's bad that this is starting so early.  Does anyone have a breakdown of "hard" votes so that we might predict the outcome?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top