Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 9:44:06 PM EDT
Swedish Officials Nix 'Superman' As Name
Tax Authority Oversees Rules For Names

POSTED: 11:59 a.m. EDT May 7, 2003

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- He may be the Man of Steel in the States, but Superman doesn't have much power in Sweden ... at least not with the tax authority.

Aside from collecting taxes, the authority also oversees rules for names in the Scandinavian country.

Officials have nixed the plan of a couple to name their baby Superman. The mother said they wanted to name their boy David Rune Staalman Leisten. Staalman is Superman in Swedish.

Authorities said Superman isn't a suitable name because it could lead to what's termed discomfort.

The couple hasn't decided yet on an appeal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
So is the Tax Authority Overseer similar to the handicapper general?

- Matt
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#3]
They can't because some desk jockey says so?  I can understand if copyright infringment kept them from doing so, but just because they don't like it?  Probably best for the kid, but sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow. Makes you appreciate the USA even more, where you can freely change your name to Optimus Prime or Heywood Jablowme. Superman is better than those.
View Quote

haha

i think I should have my name legally changed to Optimus Prime

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if the IRS would ban the name DICK then.[shock]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me how back in 1992 or so some idiots named their daughter "Athiest Evolution".

No, I'm not kidding...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow. Makes you appreciate the USA even more, where you can freely change your name to Optimus Prime or Heywood Jablowme. Superman is better than those.
View Quote

haha

i think I should have my name legally changed to Optimus Prime

View Quote

Well, some National Guardsman(I think) beat you to it already.  Was in the news a few weeks ago.
View Quote

holy crap that's funny

[img]http://www.geeklife.com/images/jan03/prime.jpg[/img]

[url]http://wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828[/url]

here's a real pic of the guy [img]http://wkyc.com/assetpool//images/0331941134_optimus1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
superman? When I lived in hawaii my neighbors were the "gaylords", I believe that has Superman topped tenfold
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I know a kid named Eric Cartman *(last name)**

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
That's what happens when your just a subject...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top