Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2003 1:59:20 PM EDT
I don't understand it. soda sounds pretty gay.  
but ask for a pop and they look at you like you dropped in from another galaxy. One of the reasons I would never live below the WI/IL border.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Here in Southern Californistan the word "soda" often refers to what y'all call "beer".  We refer to sweet nonalcoholic carbonated beverages either as "soft drinks" or by a specific brand e.g. "Coke".

We consider "sports drinks" and "mineral water" to be gay.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
we don't call it soda, we call it COKE.   YOu want a COKE?  What kind?  DP, COKE, SPRITE...

it's all COKE.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
We don't call it soda down here in Atlanta.  Everything carbonated is coke.  I don't give a damn if it says diet pepsi or root beer, its all coke.  If you ask for a coke down here, normally they will ask "What flavor?".   I believe the only exception is RC cola, as in "Whatcha got for lunch?",  "RC and a Moon Pie."
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you call all of them Coke?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you have "southerners" confused with "midwesterners."

Southerners call pop "Coke."

As in:

- I'll have a Coke to drink.
: What kind of Coke?
- Dr. Pepper          
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know what part of WI you're from, but around here, we call it soda too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL....yup. COKE. Let me get this straight, are you saying that the word "soda" sounds gay but "pop" does not? I can make a whole bunch more gay "pop" jokes than I can with soda. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Around these parts it's tonic, or soda, or coke but never pop.
And beer is beer.

S-I
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say "pop" is more midwestern/plains states. I've got cousins in Nebraska and that's what they call it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
we don't call it soda, we call it COKE.   YOu want a COKE?  What kind?  DP, COKE, SPRITE...

it's all COKE.  

View Quote

LOL....yup. COKE. Let me get this straight, are you saying that the word "soda" sounds gay but "pop" does not? I can make a whole bunch more gay "pop" jokes than I can with soda. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]What not to do in the South, from a southerner's perspective:[/b]

1) Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Waffle House. It's just a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you confuse them, they'll kick your ass.

2) Don't laugh at our southern names (Merleen, Bodie, Ovine, Luther Ray, Tammy Lynn, Darla Beth, Inez, Billy Joe, Sissy, Clovis, etc.) or we will just HAVE to kick your ass.
[red]
3) Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here its called Coke. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr.Pepper, 7-Up or whatever -- it's still a Coke. Unless you're eating a Moon Pie, then it's RC. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.[/red]

4) We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you (e.g.,Welty, Williams, Faulkner). We are also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don't refer to us as a bunch of hillbillies, or we'll kick your ass.

5) We have plenty of business sense (e.g., Fred Smith of Fed Ex, Turner Broadcasting, MCI WorldCom, MTV, Netscape). Naturally, we do sometimes, have small lapses in judgment (e.g., Carter, Edwards, Duke, Barnes, Clinton). We don't care if you think we are dumb. We are not dumb enough to let someone move to our state in order to run for the Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick their ass.

6) Don't laugh at our Civil War monuments. If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg instead of sending Pickett up the middle, you'd be paying taxes to Richmond instead of Washington. If you visit Stone Mountain and complain about the carving, we'll kick your ass.

7) We are fully aware of how high the humidity is, so shut the hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here, or we'll kick your ass.

8) Don't order wheat toast at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will instantly know that you're a Yankee. Eat your biscuits like God intended -- with gravy. And don't put sugar on your grits, or we'll kick your ass.

9) Don't fake a Southern accent. This will incite a riot, and you will get your ass kicked.

10) Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we know better. Many of us have visited Northern cities like Detroit, Chicago, and DC, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don't like it here, Delta is ready when you are. Move your ass on home before it gets kicked.

11) Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk this way because we don't want to sound like you. We don't care if you don't understand what we are saying. All other Southerners understand what we are saying, and that's all that matters. Now, go away and leave us alone, or we'll kick your ass.

12) Don't complain that the South is dirty and polluted. None of OUR lakes or rivers have caught fire recently. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty, we'll kick your ass all the way back to Boston Harbor.

13) Don't ridicule our Southern manners. We say sir and ma'am. We hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet little gray-haired grandmothers or they'll kick some manners into your ass just like they did ours.

14) So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live in the countryside? That's because we have enough sense to not live in filthy, smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or Baltimore. Make fun of our fresh air, and we'll kick your ass.

15) Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come down here and tell us how to barbecue. This will get your ass shot (right after it is kicked). You're lucky we let you come down here at all. Criticize our barbecue, and you will go home in a pine box. Minus your ass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]
In northern Illinois we called it pop.  In Detroit MI we called it pop.  In Lexington KY I've heard it called soda.

When I order I almost always ask for "coke" and have never been asked what flavor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#13]
always said soda. lived in alabama, iowa, new york, california, oregon.   Up until a few years ago I never heard pop mentioned except in michigan.  I usually say the type of soda it is.  Pop is more slang in my opinion.  Ask the manufacturers what they say.  Who cares anyway, diversity is cool.

CT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, when I ask for COKE, the reply is usually "an 8-Ball?"

Being from where Pepsi products were born, and "soda" fountains in drug stores, ect... were popular in the 50's-mid 60's, I say it comes from  that.  But, I really don't know.

Ive heard it called pop all my life too....But I come from Ft Bragg(lots of transplants).

Im not so sure that soda is any gay-er than PoP.
I've never heard a fag refer to "sodaing someones cherry".

-HS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
but ask for a pop and they look at you like you dropped in from another galaxy. One of the reasons I would never live below the WI/IL border.
View Quote

So you yanks want round II eh?[pound]

Well if you ask me......Most yankees are from another galaxy![whacko]

"Pop!!!!"[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In northern Illinois we called it pop.  In Detroit MI we called it pop.  In Lexington KY I've heard it called soda.

When I order I almost always ask for "coke" and have never been asked what flavor.
View Quote

You need to go farther south to hear the "all coke" stuff.  KY is a border state like VA.  Nobody around hear refers to all soft drinks as coke.  We call it soda.

BTW - People call soft drinks all these different names for the same reason the Brits call a parking lot a "car park" and a commercial truck a "lorry."  Different cultures, my friend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why do you call all of them Coke?
View Quote

Cause it was invented in the south.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I once heard it called "sweetass soda water" outside Atlanta, but that's the closest I've heard anyone down south come to calling a Coke "soda".
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever heard somebody from WI say soda? It does sound a lot gayer than pop. "Soooo-da"

If I sounded like that I would cut my tounge out. One of the reasons I would never live above the TX/OK border. [:)]

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#20]
In TEXAS everyone refers to it as a "COKE".... nevermind the flavor. If you order anything other than a "Coke" you surely will get looks and everyone on the premisis will assume you're a YANKEE.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

POP...yeah that sounds really awesome yankee [:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E][:E]

chaos speaks the truth btw
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
why do southerners call pop soda?
View Quote

We don't.
But whatever we DO call it is [b]right[/b].

BTW, I'm now in the unfamiliar position of agreeing absolutely with everything norman wrote above.
I'm gonna print that list and frame it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#24]
still sounds pretty gay to me.  maybe it's more of a inbetween south and north thing..  i know people in southern WI call it soda.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't.
But whatever we DO call it is [b]right[/b].
View Quote

Or we'll kick your ass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Im from the west coast, lived in california and washington, as well as Hawaii.  I've never called it "pop".  In fact I always thought Pop was the Southern thing to call it.

As state earlier I call it either Coke or soda.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Either I am a lot older than many of you or many of you are city slickers. Out in the country the generic term for a cold drink was “dope”.

Now... I think I will go to to the store and get me a dope and a Moon Pie.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]
we call it pop in eastern canada.

but by golly i'll call it coke whenever i go to texas, them fellers'll kick my ass if'n i don't.

(even thought i'm far away, i hope to go to a hun farm shoot one day)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Im from the west coast, lived in california and washington, as well as Hawaii.  I've never called it "pop".  In fact I always thought Pop was the Southern thing to call it.
View Quote

"Pop" is a yankee word. Most I've heard actually pronounce it "pap." Where I live (KY) most people refer to them by their name brands.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Let me get this straight. Your asking why Southerners call their dad's, soda?

Where did you get that from? Also Southerners should be capitalized.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I use Soda Pop!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Wait until you hear some non-talkifying southerner order a "Co'Cola". Not Coke, or Coca Cola, but Co'Cola.

That's entertainment, if you ever learned proper pronuciation.

J.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#34]
"Pop" sounds queer.

"Pop" is a nickname for someone's father or grandfather depending on location.

"Soda" and "Coke" are semi interchangeable but "coke" is the most prevalent. As previously detailed it's "You want a coke?...What kind"?

"soda pop" indicates you're either inbread or from out of town...either one will get your ass kicked.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"soda pop" indicates you're either inbread or from out of town...either one will get your ass kicked.
View Quote

"inbread"? That sounds like you were baked into a giant loaf. I think the word you are looking for is inbred. [nana]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wait until you hear some non-talkifying southerner order a "Co'Cola". Not Coke, or Coca Cola, but Co'Cola.

That's entertainment, if you ever learned proper pronuciation.

J.
View Quote

thats funny, my dad says that and he has a college degree...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#37]
next thing you know you will ask where the bubbler is ..instead of the drinking fountain
soda pop kid
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

"inbread"? That sounds like you were baked into a giant loaf. I think the word you are looking for is inbred. [nana]
View Quote

Fcker!

I guess I'm just too tired, but hey I guess it's possible? Thanks for the catch...at least I didn't confuse "meet" with "meat" as in "I can't wait to [red]meat[/red] some of you at Bulletfest" [http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_whacko.gif]

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Give me a cold drink .New Orleans,La
(_!_)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
"Pop" is the term used here in Iowa
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
In the South, if you ask for a pop, you get a black eye.
If you ask again, you get 2.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Southerners with their cokes, northerners with their pop...

Can't we work this out over a soda?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Why do you call soda "pop"??? And is the matter relevant? No wonder you live in Wisconsin
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think midwesterners are being confused with us northerners. Up here in CT we call it soda, unless we're asking for brand/flavor specific. The exception is cola, which is usually referred to as coke (btw, who would drink pepsi, especially after Michael Jackson endorsed them) [puke]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#46]
only people I've heard say soda were from long island and conneticut
my mom is from SC, and my grandfather owned a coca cola plant there, and every down south says coke, or co-cola
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I call it neither soda nor pop.  I refer to them as soft drinks or by the brand name.  I believe pop is just slang; they are called sodas because the main ingredient is carbonated water (or soda water)  I have never heard of them being called coke - that is a brand name.  I have heard them referred to a cola.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I think midwesterners are being confused with us northerners. Up here in CT we call it soda, unless we're asking for brand/flavor specific. The exception is cola, which is usually referred to as coke (btw, who would drink pepsi, especially after Michael Jackson endorsed them) [puke]
View Quote

You're all Yankees to us.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Max_Mike, good call.  It all used to be called dope around here.

Soda?  Pop?  I've never heard someone from the South use either term.z
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where in WI do you live???

In Milwaukee, at least, we call it 'soda' too...

The first time I heard it called 'pop' was from a Canadian...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top