Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2003 9:15:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You did say that it was a "Municipal bond" company. Must be staffed by ex city / state workers. Makes perfect sense to put you where you have no experience. That way you can take the fall instead of them when tha whole thing go's south.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet they want someone without any baggage.

I have a good friend in Cinci who is a senior exec for Ross Sinclaire (big regional muni bond house). I'd be happy to forward your resume. Ohio is worse than Texas but better than Cali.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a normal corporate management decision to me. Hire the most unqualified person for the job and when they fuck up you promote them. From the sounds of it you could make VP in no time! [:)]

Seriously though, rarely does what they do make sense. Sometimes they just want someone smart and their backgroud doesn't matter as much as what they perceive of the applicants ability to learn and perform in the new job function.

If you get the position it sounds like you'll have a lot of OJT to look forward to. Good luck, assuming that you want the position in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Darn, I thought you were going to tell us you got laid.

[peep]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
maybe they feel they can train you. or maybe the mgr is an arfcomer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
(ex-manager here) Sometimes, when you meet a bright personable person with a good attitude during the interview process, you say to yourself, "hey, this person would be a good asset to the company, let's see if we can't get him in here for something." Or, a manager buddy of yours says "I really need someone for this spot, but all I'm seeing is idiots, you got anyone?", etc.

Having your wits about you, displaying a good attitude and willingness to learn and work hard can get you a long way at the right company.

If you get the job, make sure to thank the original interviewer for any role they played in your getting the interview. Many job seekers write thank-you notes just for having an interview. Something to think about.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
DAMN LT!!  i was waitin on the "so..i walked into the break room..and it was just me and this 6'0" redhead..." type story!! LOL.  good luck w/ the interview amigo.  in my experiences ....not much makes sense in the jobmarket realm these days!!  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, sounds like they want to teach you to do things their way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably affirmative action raising it's ugly head [:D]

Assuming you believe you can learn what you need to to do this job, when you go into further interviews, do not bring this current "I ain't qualified" attitude with you.  It'll only hurt your salary negotiations.

Oh yeah.  GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Assuming you believe you can learn what you need to to do this job, when you go into further interviews, do not bring this current "I ain't qualified" attitude with you.  It'll only hurt your salary negotiations.

Oh yeah.  GOOD LUCK
View Quote

AMEN! Forget the salary, it might cost you the friggin' JOB!

When they ask you a question you don't know the answer to, say, "I don't know". If appropriate, add, "...but I learn quickly, and this OTHER skill I have may help me in the meantime..."

Remember, you're selling yourself, so you HAVE to make them think you are THE GUY for them, regardless of what you may or may not know.

If they're calling you in for an interview, it's because they think you're qualified to do the job. Don't sell yourself short!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually you would be surprised at how many people are looking for employees and somtimes they will snatch up the first individual that falls in front of them.
Listen do not look at a good oppertunity and scorn it. This sounds like it will give you experience you previously did not have and it is definately an oppertunity to grow and diversify. Jump on it my friend, learn something new and BEST OF LUCK, in whatever you decide to do...Maybe you can even pass the oppertunity along to another member of the board looking for work.
Bring back the thread you started a while back for the unemployed amongst us.
Take care, good luck.
Edited: 'cause man my spelling really sucks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]
PERSONALITY and ATTITUDE go a long way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I would run!
They may be looking for a fall guy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Teddy Roosevelt once said something to the effect:  When interviewing for a position, tell them you can do any task they ask about.  After you get the job, bust your ass to figure out how to do it.

Oh yeah, try not to use the phrase "chicky snack" at any time during the interview process [:D]

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Good luck to ya LT!! Hope it works out for ya!! You're due..
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#18]
It sounds like a good thing.
As mentioned earlier a good attitude and brains go a long way.
Good luck
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
The Federal Government hires people who aren't qualified for a certain position all the time.[:D]  We shouldn't be shocked that this also happens in the private sector.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, now you will be the guy who has no idea what is going on, and gets to tell others what to do. Congrats, you are on your way to the big time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm.  Ask them if they're looking for a fall guy for some questionable transactions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Darn, I thought you were going to tell us you got laid.

[peep]
View Quote

Chicka-Bow-Wow
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I got into networking the same way.  Future boss man said that I was intelligent and wouldn't have any problems picking it up.

Went from helpdesk to admin in a short amount of time.  No degrees, no certs.  Life is pretty good to me so far.  I'm even hoping to get an RX8 next year.  

If it's something you can enjoy, go for it.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad was a muni underwriter in Chicago until the IL law that made all tax increases mandatory referundums. Here's what he (and the towns) had to deal with:

Shall the Village authorize the issuance of bonds with a value of $10,000,000, at rate of 5 3/4%, with an estimated cost of $486.65 per houselhold, to replace existing securities for municipal water distribution improvements?
View Quote

Even when they were replacing 15% bonds with ones that cost the taxpayers less money($687 v.s. $486), the voters saw :

{quote]shall the Village take $486 of my money?
View Quote

The number of Muni underwriting houses went from 6 to 2, then 1 within 18 months.

Despite being SEC listed as an underwriter and trader for stocks, bond, securites, futures, etc., dad was 55+, and nobody wanted him.

Jump on this opportunity, if it's better than what you have now.

Hey, worse comes to worse, you can always move on!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#27]
If I were in your position I would assume they know my skills, and previous experience and how it does and does not relate to this other position.  My feeling is they think you have the apptitude to learn the position and maybe a certain attitude or demeanor that would meld well with their company.  Sometimes it can be better to find someone with the basic skills to learn the position and, yes, do it the way the company wants it done [:O]  I know less than nothing about bond trading so maybe there is only one way to do it, I don't know.

Maybe they are trying to avoid hiring someone who thinks they know everything and exactly how it should be done.  Then fighting with them and  [i]their ways[/i].

I'd take it as a compliment and a great opportunity, assuming you are interested in doing the job.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
LT,

Sounds like a great opportunity!  Good luck with the chicky sn... I mean the brokerage firm. [:D]

Is this in Dallas?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...."I thought he was Italian with that last name." [:D]
View Quote

That's it!!!  Do they have odd nicknames like, "Jimmy the Weasel", etc?  You have an exciting future ahead of you.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top