Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 8:11:53 PM EDT
I just looked at my latest bill and saw the price jumped up to $9.55 per MCF.  [shock]

Hopefully this is my last large bill for the winter.  This is crazy.  It used to be under $6 per MCF and I thought that was too expensive.

I'm planning on putting in a heat pump and will no longer use the furnace.  Electricity is much cheaper here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
$1.49 at the Taco Hell for a Chicken Quasedea
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have service from So. Calif. Gas in L.A., they charge $0.16438 per billing day, and $0.70526/therm. For example my current bill for April is calc'd by
29 days x $.016438  =  4.77
19 therm x $0.70526 = 13.40 (reading from gas meter), total bill for natural gas for the month of April $18.17 excluding govt taxes. This is about normal for me. It hasn't been too cold in April around here at least for me, but the other half gets a chill in the morning so she has to turn on the heater. We have green trees year 'round.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Try living in Minnesota. I have been sending them 100 + every month and got so far behind I had to go on a "budget plan". Sending $140 a month in the summer is cruel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try living in Minnesota. I have been sending them 100 + every month and got so far behind I had to go on a "budget plan". Sending $140 a month in the summer is cruel.
View Quote

That sounds familar.  All winter long I was sending them $150 a month.  Then they took an actuall reading in April and sent me a $700 bill to get caught up.  I just got my April bill and it was $150 even though it was warm and the heat was barely on!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
When it was deregulated I got a 4 year contract with my gas supplier for 5.63 mcf it was about 5.45 at the time the contract was signed, but heck, gas never goes down. During the course of the contract it had be up and down (never lower than 5.63) and I am  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When it was deregulated I got a 4 year contract with my gas supplier for 5.63 mcf it was about 5.45 at the time the contract was signed, but heck, gas never goes down. During the course of the contract it had be up and down (never lower than 5.63) and I am  [:D]
View Quote

That's sort of what started this thread.  I got a letter from another gas provider offering a lower rate if I sign a year contract.  When I got the house last year gas was running around 5.66, now it's 9.5 and the competitors contract is for 7.5.  I don't understand how gas prices can jump that high and stay there.  I think the competitor is just trying to take advantage of the high rate to get people to switch and lock them in at a high rate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The county government (same one I live in)signed a contract a year and  a half latter for something like 8 or 9 dollars mcf and seem happy about it. I think if you can lock them in for 5/6 bucks   per mcf your going to be ok, you may even make out on the deal. It is always lower in the summer, but big deal, no one uses gas in the summer, at least not a lot, and in the winter it is almost double the summer prices.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
MDU is charging me $6.69 per MCF.

I will stop bitching now!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
something to think about. i'm sitting in the control room of my plant right now. this is an itty bitty little plant compared to the last one i was at. we have one 5.5 megawatt combustion gas turbine generator set. i'm not even at full load, only 4.5 megs, and i'm burning 1006 square cubic feet of gas... A MINUTE! during a gas price spike a couple of months back, my chief had us switch to oil for a day and resold that days gas ( we buy gas ahead of time by the month)and had a one day savings of $35,000 and some change.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Im all electric.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$1.49 at the Taco Hell for a Chicken Quasedea
View Quote

Damn...I paid $1.59

I guess my natural gas is worth more than yours M4 Aiming at ewe![beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top