Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 7:02:48 PM EDT
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/silveira/enbanc.asp

edit: damn keepandbeararms.com

misleading title

so does this dissent business really mean it's going to the supreme court?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The dissent really doesn't have anything to do with it - it just illustrates that the people sitting on the bench are split on the issue.

As to whether or not SCOTUS will [i]hear[/i] it, [url=volokh.blogspot.com/2003_05_04_volokh_archive.html#200252052]Eugene Volokh comments on that here.[/url]  Interesting read.  He also [url=volokh.blogspot.com/2003_05_04_volokh_archive.html#200252207]comments on what a SCOTUS finding of an individual right might mean.[/url]

Basically, what we have is two Apellate courts with conflicting interpretations.  Very often when this happens, the Supreme Court will decide the issue.  Sometimes it takes a pass and comes back to that issue at another time.

We'll see.

But I want them to, and I want nothing less than an incorporation decision binding on ALL the states.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My gut level on this is that SCOTUS won't lift a finger unless a Circuit Court (probably the 5th ) overturns a gun law based on their interpretation.

With that and the opinion of the 9th you have a real conflict.  Until then they won’t touch it.

SCOTUS rules Individual and all hell will break lose as it pulls a big thread out of the tapestry that begin with Miller.

SCOTUS rules Collective and it puts everyone clearly on notice that the Constitution has become toilet paper as far as this government is concerned and we might REALLY need to go to the Armageddon Mode that the 2nd ultimately provides.

Either way it’s a shit sandwich for the Supremes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it will, since Federal courts have ruled two different ways on the RKBA, I dont think they can avoid it anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top