Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2001 1:01:01 PM EDT
Finally had a chance to fire the ArmaLite today.  Experienced approximately 10-12 failures in 100 rounds.  The bolt would close far enough to allow the trigger to be pulled, but not far enough to fire.  Each time, I had to use a plastic faced hammer to tap the charging handle to the rear.  I was firing LC 73 cases sized in a Dillon die. I've mic'ed several fired cases and they fall right in-line with those fired in M16s.  I do notice a multitude of light scratches, some the length of the body.  I'm thinking a rough chamber.  I appreciate any input.

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go directly to ArmaLite and talk with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When you failed to shoot, did you pop on the forward assist??  
c-rock
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That's probably what he meant, instead of charging handle.  I hope so.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hitting a firearm with a hammer is a VERY scarey thing. I hope your life insurance is paid up!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
When you failed to shoot, did you pop on the forward assist??
View Quote

Yeah, got nice round spot on the heel of my hand.  Didn't help.

That's probably what he meant, instead of charging handle. I hope so.
View Quote

Nope, I meant the charging handle.  Only way I could remove the round from the chamber.

Hitting a firearm with a hammer is a VERY scarey thing. I hope your life insurance is paid up!
View Quote

And I was looking down the barrel while I was doing it.  DUH!  I felt tapping the charging handle [i]backwards[/i], while the muzzle was pointed downrange, was a safer method than shoving a rod down the barrel and driving it out that way.  Since the bolt carrier wasn't in battery, I couldn't take the upper off.  I'm open to suggestions in case I have the same problem in the future.

Waiting for a response from ArmaLite.  

Eddie

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
When you pulled a round out, that was unfired, did the primer get "dimpled"?  
c-rock
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Incredible, this is exactly the same problem I had with my Armalite and people on the Armalite forum acted like I made it up because the "holy Armalite doesn't build rifles that have problems".....

I would be curious to find out what the problem is for future reference.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Bang the butt on the ground with the muzzle pointed in safe direction.  I had the same problem with my armalite.  It was the mag.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
M15A2,

What mag were you using? Mine did this with the factory Armalite 10 and with a sanchez 30.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
It was the ArmaLite 10. And a Colt mag with a black follower.  I don't use the 10 any more and there is a green follower in my Colt
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
the 10 round frankenmag?  looks like somebody attacked a tin can with a chainsaw?  try a nice USGI 20 rounder.  the 10 round mags are notorious for not feeding properly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would go directly to ArmaLite and talk with them.
View Quote

Ditto on that.  Also take the bolt out and make shure it was assembled correctly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a new Armalite also and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I would like to know what you hear from the factory.  good luck.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
When you pulled a round out, that was unfired, did the primer get "dimpled"?
View Quote

Nope, which was surprising.

You do know that most if not all firearm manufacturers do not warranty their weapons when they are fired with reloaded ammuntion don't you?
View Quote

Yep.  These loads are exactly the same as I used in my Colt; same bullet, powder and brass.  Never a FTF.

Bang the butt on the ground with the muzzle pointed in safe direction. I had the same problem with my armalite. It was the mag.
View Quote

Tried it; didn't work.  Calm down, DeerSlayer.  It's recommended in ArmaLite's manual.

the 10 round frankenmag? looks like somebody attacked a tin can with a chainsaw? try a nice USGI 20 rounder. the 10 round mags are notorious for not feeding properly.
View Quote

Happened with the factory mag and two USGIs I tried.  Don't remember which ones, but both had been used in my Colt without incident.

I'm a little hesitant to blame it on the mags since the round was almost fully chambered.  OTOH, I wouldn't be shocked if it was.  I'm thinking of polishing the chamber and see what happens.

Also take the bolt out and make shure it was assembled correctly.
View Quote

Assuming you mean the bolt carrier, I can't imagine what I could have reassembled incorrectly that would allow it to fire 90 rounds, but not the other 10.  I think the oly thing that can be reassembled backwards (and still function at all) is the bolt in the carrier.  

Eddie

P.S.  Just took the bolt carrier apart; all is as it should be.  Back to ground zero.

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#17]
You should try factory ammo before talking to Armalite. If you still had the problem with factory ammo then give Armalite a call. If you experienced the same problem with factory ammo I would usually suggest not telling the manufacturer about the reloads as this tends to annoy most of them but its probably too late as Armalite reads these forums also.

Do you have a chamber gauge for checking resized cases? I had a similar problem when I wasn't completely resizing the cases. All dimensions looked good when checking with a dial caliper except the shoulders weren't set back enough. The loaded rounds would shoot in a couple of my rifles but not the others. Buying a chamber gauge made things a whole lot easier.

Also, I had a few rifles that when new wouldn't fire one brand of factory ammo but fired just fine with other factory ammo. Then after a couple of hundred rounds the rifles would shoot anything. If I remember correctly 2 of my AR15's wouldn't fire American Eagle ammo when brand new but after 200 rounds of PMC the American Eagle functioned fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Caution on using reloads.  Try using factory ammo first.  Also use a well known brand like federal.  Your gun could go kaboom with the reloads you are using now.  It sounds like your cartridges are not being resized to the right dimension after seating the bullets.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#19]
bwilder10h, you did make it up.  I have never had ANY problems with my ArmaLites.  I agree with all those that suggest factory ammo on this problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Your gun could go kaboom with the reloads you are using now. It sounds like your cartridges are not being resized to the right dimension after seating the bullets.
View Quote

Certainly possible, but every round that (competely) chambered fired with no evidence of excessive pressure.  I didn't re-try the ones that wouldn't chamber. That's why I'm thinking the cases are within spec and the chamber is tight or too rough.

I haven't told ArmaLite anything about the type ammo I tried.  I intend to try a hundred or so factory loads next week before I do anything else.  It's entirely possibly the cartridge is to blame, but it would be the first in more than 25 years and dozens of firearms.  Over the years, probably 99.9 percent of the more than one million rounds I've fired have been reloads (discounting rimfire) and I've experienced more problems with factory stuff.  First for everything, I suppose.  Thanks for all the input.

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd bet it's the ammo.  Go figure.  It won't fit so it won't fire.  If it fits it fires fine.  Uh.

Save your ammo for a rifle with a looser chamber.

No, gunlover is right.  If you have tight ammo it means headspace is tight.  That's much more dangerous than excessive headspace.  Get a gage from Midway or throw it away.  It isn't worth it.  Just because you used a proven sizing die doesn't mean that you're OK.  If you crimp too hard you might have buckled the shoulder out.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Just gaged the rounds that wouldn't chamber.  All were within specs.

Eddie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top