Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 3:54:02 PM EDT
Really I was at a gas station and a security guard parked here f150 with here orange lights on top at a pump and walked around the place like she was a cop then another guard showed up and they drove away, she never purchased gas or anything else and took up two pumps.

Why do they think they are cops. Now not all secuirty guards do some understand there job but other feel they get some type of authority in public.

I loved how she had a old revolver on her hip about to fall out of the holster.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The badge along with the radio and panic whistle makes them feel important. That, and it makes up for the fast food wages.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
*ouch*
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think its just considered a general symbol of authority, i.e., the authority the property owner has given the rent-a-cop to keep the premises secure.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
When [i]I[/i] put in my time as a rent-a-cop, we just had sewn-on badges, save for one fancy tech company that wanted a nice shiny badge sitting behind the front desk.  (That site paid 40% more, of course.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
i always thought they wore those sweet sticker badges cops hand out to kids on field trips
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
you gotta have a target.......[;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was a cop. Me and my buddy pulled over an "unmarked security car" that was weaving down the road.

Turned out the idiot was trying to pull a wooden dildo out.

Now why would he need that?

ED
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I was in the car with a friend when one tried to pull us over with its flashing orange lights. So I belive that ^^^
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
As a former SG, I can say that the badge only serves to make the weak afraid. Smart criminals are unaffected by it. Security Guards serve an important role protecting property from weak minded criminals. I respect them for working a shitty job (which can be dangerous) for such a small paycheck. My friend was killed with his own gun while he guarded an empty warehouse. BGs got the jump on him, stole his gun, and executed him as he sat in his car. How many guards actually receive proper training for an encounter with a real BG? Not many. I would have felt better in street clothes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Because if you have a "badge" and look "official" you can get by with damn near anything.
I know by personal experience that this works.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of the Security Guards that I have known are "Cop Wannabees" , the badge is just a false sense of power given to these losers in life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
saw two guards the other day.They are an evolving breed I guess...lol

I had to do a double take because these guys were loaded to the hilt:ballistic vest, Safariland 6004 holsters w/G17's and a Sig, the nice bdu's and gear.

I got to talking to them just for grins.I thought they might be off-duty po-po's, but no.Just some guys doing a dangerous job to pay for college. Those guards that do the job unarmed have a lot of balls.There have been a few that were beaten or killed so if you're doing it you might as well be well equipped.

There is no shame in doing a job such as security.There are dipsticks out there, as in every profession.

Heck, i've even thought about it.

I did it for 14 minutes once.

My cousin owns a security co. in San Diego. He asked if I could help out at an condo complex in Mission Beach til the guy who had the post showed up.Well, it was an exciting 14 minutes and I got 20 bks for it, so it wasn't all that bad and the money was good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a security guard but am kinda,I work a convience store.   Sometimes the Spanish-American or just (Mexican) come in and I have a hard time learning their lauguage!

But my gun in an uncle mikes belt holster sometimes sticks out and when I bend over to get their cigs it sticks out!  And I hear Yabba,Yabba,Yabba(pistola) Yabba Yabba Yabba!

So I can only guess they saw my piece!  Damn I need to quite working here or learn Mex!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
So everyone will know that they graduated from the MAGLITE OPERATORS ACADEMY!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh!!  I have a good story about security guards.  A few years ago when I was still on amateur radio this guy on 2 meters was always on at night.  He was a supervisor and worked the afternoon, and even graveyard shifts sometimes because no one ever showed up to work.  Anyhow, he used to always talk tough about this and that.  One night he told us about this Mexican he was called to check out in a car.  Turns out the guy had a Mak-90 with a 30 round magazine and was probably up to know good.  Instead of calling the police he took the rifle, not sure how the Mexican let him however, and told him to beat it.  He even e-mailed me a pic of the rifle and his buddy on the radio said it was true.  His buddy didn't seem at all like the type to lie or anything.  Now, this security guy didn't carry a gun at all and his uniform was just a brown sheriff deputy-like outfit.  His belt only had a flashlight and radio, maybe pepper spray, but that's all.

I'm pretty sure the story was true because he even said, knowing I was into firearms, "you want the gun?"  I replied emphatically "NO!  You had no business taking that gun no matter what.  If the gun was stolen it's a police matter.  You can't just confiscate a persons weapons!"  His reply was simply "So what. I take stuff from people all the time, if they want it they can call the company and get it back".  Has anyone ever heard of something like this before.  I still chuckle just thinking about him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mainly, because the state says we have to.
I'd love to ditch the damn thing, along with my nameplate.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:12:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most of the Security Guards that I have known are "Cop Wannabees" , the badge is just a false sense of power given to these losers in life.
View Quote

Nice. Do you feel better having insulted so many people at once? What makes them losers again? Did a security guard harm you in some way when you were a small child?  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, they are just doing there job, feeding their family....  Hey someone has got to do it... so what if they think they are powerful, just sit back and get a chuckle, but hey give them a break.

I wouldnt want to do that boring job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top