Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 2:11:54 PM EDT
Any one here own any as well? I have two girls a 2 year old (76lbs) and a little 5 month old (27lbs).

Great dogs, Peta wants my dogs dead :o
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had several during the last 25 years.
I currently have a Pitt/Rott mix and a Blue Healer pup.
Willy is 120lbs of lizard head.
Pitts are good dogs when raised proper and even then they can be agressive/protective at times if some of their socialization training is slightly neglected.
Your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
if you look up the natural behavior of the pit bull you will see that they are GREAT dogs for kids, and yes, highly protective of them as well!

we had a bunch of pits, but never a bad one
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I had 2 American Pitbull Terriers, both around the 80 solid pound mark.  Strong mofos... gentle but strong.

Died of old age, BTW.  Never bit anyone, except for one guy that got it because being in my backyard at the wrong time... I wonder why he had a mask and jumped the fence in a flash?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking to get an American Staffordshire terrier (same thing) this summer as soon as the girlfriend (a vet) can find me a quality breeder.  Grew up around them when I was a kid, wonderful dogs and protective of the family.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tyson is a 30 month ADBA registered APBT. Colby is the line. Tyson (Goodwins Rampage) was breed in Red Oak Vir. at Carriage Town kennel's through private breeding.110yrs+ line breed.

[url]http://www.carriagetownkennels.dogbreedersdirectory.com/[/url]

[url]www.colbypitbull.com[/url]

EricE also knows a thing or two on the breed [;)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Local pit attacked a dog, both of the other dog's owners, and made a threatening gesture at the wrong man last night. It was euthanized by a 180 grain JHP from the officer's .40 S&W handgun. Too many pits attacking folks where I live. Getting absurd.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I will put money less people are attacked by pits then labs or even poodles. Its only the pit brings attention because of its heritage. And it was a fighting dog and a good one at that also they are some of the smartest dogs. I have had labs and Shepherds. The pit would run laps around them in comparison.

So pits being blood thirsty not true just when they get a  hold of some one everyone is going to know.

Any dog can be a lap dog any dog can be a viscous dog.

I currently have 7 dogs (lol I know) the pits have yet to bite a single person the sheep dog has bit 3 and the other 2 provoked of course but still.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#8]
After your pitbull rips your childs face off or kills the neighbors pets, please post again about how wonderful they are as pets.

As I recall, Pitbulls make up 50 percent of all fatal dog attacks. Maybe more "other dogs" bite people, but pitbulls kill or injure people more than any other breed.  They are considered naturally vicious and bred to kill things and fight.  These are qualities everybody needs in a "family pet".

Oh, and PLEEEEAAASSSEEEE save that stupid argument about pitbulls and black rifles being the same for someone else. The rifle is not alive, if yours is,,,,seek help.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Rotts displaced Pitts 2 years ago as the dog that attacks most frequently in the U.S. It is not the breed, but how they are raised that is the primary determination of their temperment.

My cousin has a bull mastiff-American bulldog mix that weighs 140lbs with a head the size of a basketball. It is a scary looking SOB but very gentle and mild tempered.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not that Pitbulls/Rotts are anymore  likely to bite as any other..it's the fact that most owners of said dogs raise them to be mean.

A GOOD NUMBER of Rott/Pitbull owners are a$$holes who have this "I am mean...and my dog is big and a badass" attitude going on. It's like those guys who try to make a family car(honda, nissan, etc) look and sound like a sports car...they are making up for lack of something, or have something to prove.

Any Rott/Pitbull I have seen properly raised, socialized, and trained has been friendly and well behaved.

Kinda like kids ya know? ;)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I worked in a doggie day camp for a couple of years
and there are good dogs and bad dogs in all breeds.
I have seen some excellent pits and some not so good. It depends on the breeding and the training.
I also believe in temperment training to see how any dog reacts in different situations. I personally  won't keep a dog that would try to bite anyone. Especially where I have kids in and out of my home. I put a dog down because he would let you in the door but try to bite you on the way out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I worked in a doggie day camp for a couple of years
View Quote

This time....at doggie camp.....

BWAHHHAAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHAA
[lol] [lol]

Sorry, I couldnt help myself!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As I recall, Pitbulls make up 50 percent of all fatal dog attacks. Maybe more "other dogs" bite people, but pitbulls kill or injure people more than any other breed.  
View Quote

"As I recall", if you have a gun in your house, you are more likely to be shot with it, than by an intruder.  So say the stats.

If a half Shep, half Pit attacks, guess which breed gets credit?
Your intense, almost irrational anti-pit rants are clear proof that such a bias exists.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah the stats are affected (cooked) by "who" gravitates towards keeping these dogs and why...

Generally speaking its the unsocialized dog..chained up with no attention day after day..that ends up being a people biter..

When bad people own dogs ...dogs become bad

Given the mastiff head (bulldogs, pits, rots,  bull mastiffs, presas, filas, dogos,) when these dogs clamp down and shake its all over..

All dogs need to be supervised and properly fenced ..most of all they need socialization..deny them this and they go bad.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I gots one [:P]... and I live very close to my best friend, who has a nice kennel where he breeds them. We have 12 adults and 10 pups there now [:)]

BTW snipely, make sure you say "American Pit Bull Terrier" and not "Pit Bull"... some of us around here get a little sensitive about that [:D]

EricE
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#17]
It's not that Pitbulls/Rotts are anymore likely to bite as any other..it's the fact that most owners of said dogs raise them to be mean.
View Quote

Partially true the Pitbull has unfortunately become a status symbol for the criminally stupid “bad ass”. The problem with a Pitbull is once they decide to attack they are so very powerful and much more likely to kill. If a Lab attacks the likelihood of it killing are very small… If a Pit attacks the likelihood of it killing are exponentially higher due to the dogs power and temperament.  

To compare a Pitbull to a Lab or Poodle shows a distinct detachment form seriousness.

They may be OK.

If you get a dog with the proper bloodlines.
    If raised correctly, something most people do not know or attempt to do.
    So
    If you really know what you are doing and are good at training dogs and
    If you are SURE of the bloodlines.

You will probably be OK with a Pitbull.

With all the “ifs” involved IMO it is not prudent to have Pitbulls around small children.

If protection is your primary concern get a pistol and carry it and then get a loud and nosey dog say a Lab or Basset Hound. A criminal intent on getting into you house after hearing any loud dog barking is just going to shoot the dog anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Got nothing against Pitt Bulls or any other dog for that matter. It is a fact that all dogs might bite now and then. The problem with large powerful dogs like Pitt Bulls and others is that when they bite they do real damage.  When your "lap dog" bites.....it ain't a problem, when your Rottie bites....you go to the hospital. Them's just the facts. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. That fact and that alone kept me from having ANY large dogs around when my kids were little. Had nothing to do with a particular breeds reputation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top