Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2016 6:10:54 PM EDT
Just decided to buy an instant read thermometer and have read here on ARF that this is a good one in threads past.

So I went to order one and found that they are on sale for 30% off and 40% if you buy more then one.

Just a heads up on the sale ,I just bought a red one.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
btt

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Are these things pieces of shit?  Because I'm tired of buying shitty thermometers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Never bought one before but this one has been brought up in the past on Arf that's how I even knew about them.

The 100 dollar one ,I think it's the Thermopen is a fav of a Mod on here.(Had to look up how to spell...Zhukov)

Just looked and found some reviews on it in the cooking section of Arf.

If you search the archives there's plenty of info on the pen and pop.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
BUMP

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Thermopen, that's the best $69 I spent on anything in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]

We've used the ThermoPens for years, and they are absolutely the best on the market.

FAST reading, and super accurate.

We've used them for cooking and home brewing.

The ThermoPops are very nearly as good for much less money.

Trust me, they are GTG  

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
btt
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Love my Thermopop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for tip OP!

I'm so tired of buying crap cooking thermometers. Just ordered two, a red one and a black one. From the ARFCOM reviews it appears that these should last me awhile.

Once again, ARFCOM proves itself to be an excellent source of product reviews for every item on the planet while masquerading as a gun forum.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Just ordered one.  The larger, classic thermapen is used on America's Test Kitchen and highly rated.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Just a review I found.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I eat my meat rare.

I have never gotten sick in in the decades I've been grilling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I eat my meat rare.

View Quote

Chicken and pork too ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Chicken and pork too ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I eat my meat rare.

Chicken and pork too ?

I grill my pork on the medium side.

I've eyeballed chicken on the grill and it's always done before I can get all of it off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been cooking since I'm a kid and never used a thermometer but started a few years ago with things like roasts in the oven. The thermometer makes it so much easier to get the doneness that you like with no guessing at all.

I have an old thermometer that I use but its not instant read and was making hamburgers in my cast iron pan and wanted medium rare and I over shot the temp and had well done.

You can live your life happily with out a thermometer for cooking and I did for years .But Its just a tool that just make your cooking skills go up a notch,for 20 bucks it's worth it to me. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks, just ordered one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've eyeballed chicken on the grill and it's always done before I can get all of it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I eat my meat rare.

Chicken and pork too ?

Cue GreenBastard's food poisoning thread.

I'm gonna buy a few. Old roommate had a themopen and that thing kicked major ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I eat my meat rare.

Chicken and pork too ?

Pick up a thermapen/poo and compare to what's actually done vs what you eyeball and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  For instance, I was waaayyyy overcooking brats on the grill by looking for the right coloring, 30-40* too hot.  Next time, cooked them to proper doneness and they're much better.

I use it for baking too, yeast has a fairly narrow operating temp.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#20]
btt
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Well this thread just cost me $40, one for the girlfriend and one for the lake house.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I already have a Thermapen.

But once, cry once.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I already have a Thermapen.

But once, cry once.
View Quote
Me too.  It' sweet.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one of the ones posted in the OP.   No complaints with it,  but it's not instant read.   More like 3 secs.    The instant read ones are closer to $200 i think.

ETA... As others have stated,  most will find they are overcooking their food, at least somewhat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
btt
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have one of the ones posted in the OP.   No complaints with it,  but it's not instant read.   More like 3 secs.    The instant read ones are closer to $200 i think.

ETA... As others have stated,  most will find they are overcooking their food, at least somewhat.
View Quote

Instant read is a bit of a misnomer.  No matter what, the probe must come up to the temperature as whatever you're trying to measure and hat takes time.

Turns out that 3sec reading they quote is ET from ambient temp (~70*?) to reading 32* in a bowl of ice water.  So if your probe is say 90*, ambient on a summer day, and you're trying to get fish to 140 its going to read quickly, but larger deltas will take longer.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Instant read is a bit of a misnomer.  No matter what, the probe must come up to the temperature as whatever you're trying to measure and hat takes time.

Turns out that 3sec reading they quote is ET from ambient temp (~70*?) to reading 32* in a bowl of ice water.  So if your probe is say 90*, ambient on a summer day, and you're trying to get fish to 140 its going to read quickly, but larger deltas will take longer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Pop has to be better then what I'm using now.

Mines not even this nice.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/progun1911/1003079_3621N_A_400.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the best of those are woefully inaccurate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol for sure.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
btt
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I've never owned a digital thingy, so I ordered one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I wasn't knocking it, only stating from experience that it wasn't an instant read.  I'm quite pleased with mine.  

The upper end models are supposed to read much quicker, but at a much greater cost.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks OP.

Last night I accidentally left my plastic instant read thermometer stuck in a standing rib roast when I put the roast in my 600 degree grill for searing.

Melted that sucker big time!

Got 2 ThermoPop replacements on order....
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Have a Thermopen and a DOT, great thermometers. They've saved me from getting pissed and throwing things out the back door numerous times now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Just bought the Pop. Already have the pen.  I want to save up for the Mk4.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are these things pieces of shit?  Because I'm tired of buying shitty thermometers.
View Quote

ThermoWorks are GTG
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#37]
This place keeps costing me.  Black one on order.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well this thread just cost me $40, one for the girlfriend and one for the lake house.
View Quote

None for the yacht?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This place keeps costing me.  Black one on order.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I got my pop a week or so ago and it works great !!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I got my pop a week or so ago and it works great !!!
View Quote
Same here. Fast delivery, good product so far!

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#45]
what makes the thermopen worth three times the thermopop?   Not trying to be snarky... genuinely interested.   I like good cooking gear.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what makes the thermopen worth three times the thermopop?   Not trying to be snarky... genuinely interested.   I like good cooking gear.
View Quote

Faster and More Accurate. ...and it's 4 to 5 times more costly. There are videos on youtube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Faster and More Accurate. ...and it's 4 to 5 times more costly. There are videos on youtube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

The Thermopen uses a thermocouple while the Thermopop uses a thermistor as a sensor.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm interested in the CHEFALARM, the type with the remote probe that you'd place into a roast, set alarm temp.
I've gone through 3 Taylor's in the last several years , NEVER again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm interested in the CHEFALARM, the type with the remote probe that you'd place into a roast, set alarm temp.

I've gone through 3 Taylor's in the last several years , NEVER again.
View Quote
I agree - those Taylor units suck big time!!!

I still have one stuck in the back of a kitchen drawer somewhere but I never use it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#50]
If you are going to smoke and bbq it is imperative that you cook to temps on your food. 165 for chicken, steaks, etc 135 is medium rare, a brisket you pull around 195 - 200, pulled pork won't pull and just be a pork roast if you don't get it up to temps, about 195. It's not only about making sure you don't get sick, it's also about making sure you're food is properly cooked.

It eliminates the old winging it and college tries when making good food.

I have a thermopop. It works well, gives me a reading in about 5 seconds. It's durable, and has a lighted LCD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top