Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 7:04:22 PM EDT
Page 2-32
If projectile becomes lodged in bore...blah blah blah...Made me think..anyone ever seen this happen??? what caused it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you reload and forget to add the powder the pop from the primer can send the bullet partially down the barrel and it will stick. Then, when you fire the next (full power) round you have a barrel obstruction....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Page 2-32
If projectile becomes lodged in bore...blah blah blah...Made me think..anyone ever seen this happen??? what caused it?
View Quote

It's called a "squib-load" and is as ECS describes a reloaded round that somehow missed the powder stage on a reloading press, one may even find this in Factory ammo at times, albeit rarely.

FWIW, if I'm not mistaken this has caused serious "KABOOMS" in more than a few rifles, on occasion in matches, where time constraints sometimes cause competitors to by-pass the safety check of separating the upper to make sure bore is clear.

Remember in semi-auto firearms whether rifles or pistols, it is [b]ALWAYS, BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY[/b]. As X-man pointed out the other day, just the simple "look down the bore" prior to ones' shooting session should not be overlooked in semi-auto weapons.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Page 2-32
View Quote

I had this happen with an M1911A1 while in the Army.  The projectile lodged in the rear of the barrel.  It was back far enough that the next round would not chamber when I ejected what I thought was a misfire.  I don't believe there was any powder in the case.  This occured with issued GI ball ammunition.  After I submitted a report about the incident, I found out that the particular lot of ball ammunition in my unit's supply had been recently suspended.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah yes the squib ...

The only malfuctions I have ever had with my issue M9 were sguibs with issue M882, both left the bullet hanging out the end of the barrel. I have also had tons of squibs shooting handloaded 45 wadcutter target loads at bullseye, A very noticable pop instead of the regular bang... I have seen a nice NM 45 ruined by a new shooter who racked a new round behind a squib and a guy blow up a really nice M1 doing the same thing ...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't the submarine in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" attacked by a giant squib? [;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
[rofl]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I had this happen a few times with a poorly-produced batch of .223 reloads (loaded by me) back in the 80's with an Oly .223 when I was a wee teenager.

Sometimes, if the round is close to the chamber or the muzzle end, you can beat it out with a cleaning rod (probably not the best way, and there was a chance of scratching the bore or crown). If that failed, my buddy's uncle had a "bullet puller" that was essentially a large corkscrew on a rod that screwed into the lodged projectile. It was a bear to get the round pulled out with one of those, but it could be done.

Got a ball stuck in muzzle loader once with a light charge. We (probably pretty stupidly) blew it out by unscrewing the nipple and feeding powder into the breech. We got the ball unlodged, and were lucky that we did not blow ourselves up in the process. Damn, teenagers are dumb. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to keep guns away from them without proper adult supervision (which we did not have) until they hit 18 or so. When I think of the stupid things that I did...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a firearms training class here at school.  The criminal justice students (and others like me who can get in if there is room) are introduced to handguns.  Ammunition is overpriced reloaded leadless junk and at least three squib loads occurred during the semester that failed to push the bullet out of a 4 inch revolver barrel.  One of these squibs occurred in my pistol.  The instructors warned everyone about checking the barrel after a pop instead of a bang, so nobody pulled the trigger with an obstructed barrel.  This surprised me because many of the students had never shot before.  I also had the interesting occasion of actually seeing someone else's 38 slug travel downrange after what was almost a squib load.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]
When I went for my CCW permit class, they required yo to use their range ammo.  I had gone through a box of these before and had several "weak" rounds.  None were squibs, but several didn't have the power to properly cycle the slide and caused several stove pipes.  6 Times in one box!!!  So, I told them that I will use my own ammo or find another place.  They let me use my own ammo instead of their cheap sh** reloads that they actually charged more for.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wasn't the submarine in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" attacked by a giant squib? [;D]
View Quote

Yeth it wud![banana]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top