Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 10:05:11 AM EDT
Brave, yes , hero's , yes

just plain crazy, yes.

In the cold war it was different it was us against them and space was a battle to be won or lost. Now its a job, a job full of danger.

Would you go up in space for a job ?

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, that amount of danger is normal.

Whats unusual is how safe most occupations have become on Earth, at least here in the states.

What was mining like a century ago? How many men were killed just building the Brooklyn Bridge? What was whaleing like?

A century ago, would you go underground to work? Or to sea?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuckin' A.

I'd get on board [i]tomorrow[/i].

I'd be nervous as hell, but I'd still do it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Coal Miners are hardcore. Was watching a show about them on discovery.

Astronauts are just pampered pilots. I watched the Right Stuff, I think we should have stuck with the monkey.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No question about it, yes.

I considered it some years ago but it was really too late in my career.

They are, right now, once again looking for educators to get into the astronaut program again.  

Saw another astronaut speak last Thursday night.  I forgot the odds of becoming an astronaut are better than becoming a sports star.  

AR15's in space?  Go for it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]

If given the chance I'd go in a second.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is the poll? Crazy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go into space in a heartbeat.  I've dreamed about it since I was 3 years old.  You'd have to be crazy to NOT want to go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
balls as big as basketballs.  Growing up with motion sickness I have no doubt that I would be puking in my helmet within seconds of launching.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
balls as big as basketballs.  Growing up with motion sickness I have no doubt that I would be puking in my helmet within seconds of launching.
View Quote

[puke] I think that could block your vision.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Ass-hole-knots are extremely arrogant.  they are better than you.  smarter, stronger, built more perfect.  just a better model of what people should be.  they know it and most of them don't mind telling you.  they want preferential treatment where ever they go.  the job is dangerous only because of the politics that suround space.  having your only space vehicle be a giant glider is asinine.  

they can keep their space toys!  i would rather send a robot or a computer than waist the energy to send and organism and all it's life support.      
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ass-hole-knots are extremely arrogant.  they are better than you.  smarter, stronger, built more perfect.  just a better model of what people should be.  they know it and most of them don't mind telling you.  they want preferential treatment where ever they go.  the job is dangerous only because of the politics that suround space.  having your only space vehicle be a giant glider is asinine.  

they can keep their space toys!  i would rather send a robot or a computer than waist the energy to send and organism and all it's life support.      
View Quote

Actually, I have to disagree. I work with them all the time. Arrogance? No. Serious and dedicated with super strong work ethics. YES.
These guys/girls are a different breed. I have never in 14 years had a crew member tell me that he was better than me (maybe yelled at me in times of stress at worst.) They want and deserve the best training and vehicle that we can give them. Nothing wrong with that in my book. The job is dangerous because of the complexity of the vehicle, the mission, and being on orbit in general. It is a risky business all the way around. All the crews are so dedicated and they really truly believe in what they are doing. They get props from me.

btw: we do send computers and robots to space
....all the time. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#12]
what about those in nuclear submarines?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ass-hole-knots are extremely arrogant.  they are better than you.  smarter, stronger, built more perfect.  just a better model of what people should be.  they know it and most of them don't mind telling you.  they want preferential treatment where ever they go.  the job is dangerous only because of the politics that surround space.  having your only space vehicle be a giant glider is asinine.  

View Quote

Actually, I have to disagree. I work with them all the time. Arrogance? No. Serious and dedicated with super strong work ethics. YES.
These guys/girls are a different breed. I have never in 14 years had a crew member tell me that he was better than me (maybe yelled at me in times of stress at worst.) They want and deserve the best training and vehicle that we can give them. Nothing wrong with that in my book. The job is dangerous because of the complexity of the vehicle, the mission, and being on orbit in general. It is a risky business all the way around. All the crews are so dedicated and they really truly believe in what they are doing. They get props from me.

View Quote

do you interact with them socially?  or just at work?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I read an article about a couple of companies that have commercial interests in lunar exploration.  They plan to sell streaming video, send up time capsules, stuff like that.  One company would rather use the shuttle than rockets, because the shuttle has a 1 in 55 failure rate opposed to a 1 in 20 rate that payload rockets currently have.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ass-hole-knots are extremely arrogant.  they are better than you.  smarter, stronger, built more perfect.  just a better model of what people should be.  they know it and most of them don't mind telling you.  they want preferential treatment where ever they go.  the job is dangerous only because of the politics that surround space.  having your only space vehicle be a giant glider is asinine.  

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I am not personal friends with any crew members. I have been around them socially and all went well. I will say this, there are arrogant assholes in every profession, but that doesnt make everybody in the profession an arrogant asshole. [:)] Are you in the space business?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#16]
They are fighter pilots.  They are better than everyone else at what they do.  They probably have to have that attitude to survive.

On the other hand, I raced a sailboat for 6 months last year w/ an F-16 pilot and he never came off as arrogant.  I enjoyed sailing with him and drinking with him.  I for one and 100% behind sending humans into space and building a permanent presence onthe moon and in orbit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually, that amount of danger is normal.

Whats unusual is how safe most occupations have become on Earth, at least here in the states.

A century ago, would you go underground to work? Or to sea?
View Quote

Normal ?????

My job carries me into someplaces that are very hazardous. I would underground and above ground as a HAZMAT Tech. I can control most of the dangers in the job. I suit up for the level of danger and I work at my level of knowlege. I cant even think of any people killed in my line of work in 10 years. I can remember posting here the morning the last shuttle blew up and killed everyone on board.

NORMAL nope I cant say I think riding a rocket build by the cheapest bidder is normal for job saftey

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I am not personal friends with any crew members. I have been around them socially and all went well. I will say this, there are arrogant assholes in every profession, but that doesnt make everybody in the profession an arrogant asshole. [:)] Are you in the space business?
View Quote

no, just had to deal with them in church and a little in school.  i admit a made a vague generality based on bad experiences with a few people.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I would be scared sh*tless, probablty sh*t and piss in my suit and cry for my mommy. Would I still go, in a heart-beat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Would I go into space...for ANY reason?  Are you kidding?

HELL YES I'D GO!!!  Strap me in and light that damn candle!  What a ride that'd be.

Yes...I'd go in a New York second.

[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top