Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 6:12:06 AM EDT
Am I the only person in America that has to wait 45 damn min. at the sports counter when purchasing ammo?? Every time I go in any local Wal-Mart, the waiting game gets longer and longer. I know the ringer botton on the counter works, but it takes a lifetime for service. Jason
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea there is always a wait the person is never there.  About as quick to order the stuff and have it shipped.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Pick up the phone at the sporting goods counter and hit the intercom. Ask over the intercom if any one works in sporting goods.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#5]
One time I waited 20 minutes for someone to show up, and another 20 for that dumbass to find the keys to the ammo counter, when he got back I wasent there........
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Last time I went to buy ammo, I stopped at the service desk on my way in and told the lady "I have been waiting at the Sporting Goods counter for 20 minutes, could you get someone back there to help me".  There was someone waiting for me by the time I got to the counter and they were apologizing to me for making me wait so long.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The only time I had to wait was because they were busy with three other people buying ammo and making gun purchases.  It seems like the Walmarts around me hire all the retired old-timers who want someone to talk with about hunting and shooting.  One time there was a lady behind the counter, and my brother and I were talking amongst ourselves about the lack of variety in the gunrack.  She then commented how she asked the manager if she could order a Bushmaster for the rack, but he didn't think they could sell it.  As of late, they've been stocking Beretta shotguns, so it's not a price issue.  I guess they'll special order something if they know it's pretty much sold, but I can't recall if the prices in their book were their cost, or the customer's end cost.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I only have problems at the local Walmart when I go to buy 9mm ball after Batch114 has bought them out the night before.   Only to tell me that he did as I am walking from the front door to the sporting goods section.....bastard :-)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I went into Wally World in Battle Creek Michigan to get some 9mm.  The friggin sports dept. lady was friggin mixin paint for the day...the manager was at lunch...had to wait close to an hour for the damn ammo.  what bull crapt.....the price is still cheaper than anything I have found since I moved to Michigan 2 months ago...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
We have 2 walmarts in College Station, & I don't ever have a problem getting my ammo purchased.

P.S. My Grandma lives in Sturgis, so I know where Battle Creek is[:D] So are you Amish?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It's really strange but I've never had any problems getting ammo here at my usual Wal-Mart in East [i]San Diego County[/i].  The 2 people that I usually deal with (a middle aged woman and an older gentleman) have their shit together and I'm in and out quickly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The Wally World I go to is never a problem. There seems to always be either this early 20's guy who knows his business, or a retiree who is also fine.

[url]http://ammoman.com[/url] is also good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#14]
The Wal-mart I go to is just over the line in PA(I live a couple minutes from the MD/PA line).  Usually it is a retiree or a middle-aged guy at the sporting goods counter ready for purchases and fairly knowledgeable.  If you stop in at 3:00 AM and buy ammo, which I have only done one time, you will have to wait get some teenager who then spends 20-30 minutes tracking down the keys to get into the case.  But, being able to buy ammo at 3:00 AM, even with the delay, is an example of why the U.S. is the greatest nation on the planet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
the WALMART in my area hires really slow workers that waste time talking about fishing &
hunting too much while people are waiting to
buy ammo, I think they are just trying to stall
and kill time because they get paid by the hour
so the less people they help the less work they
do and they still get paid the same amount.
Sometimes I wait 10 or 15 minutes just for the
salesman to stop talking about fishing poles or
scopes to a customer, before he gets my ammo.
they should just show the customer an item, not
have a 15 minute discussion about it. [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I never had a problem with someone not being there. BUT there is usually someone in front of me buying 6 fishing licenses that takes an hour to fill out all the paperwork. I did have one walmart cashier offer to special order me a case of .223 every week with no obligation to buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pick up the phone at the sporting goods counter and hit the intercom. Ask over the intercom if any one works in sporting goods.
View Quote

Works for me.

Once at work, I paged MYSELF. People tried to figure that one out for weeks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I just received my order from ammoman of 600rnds of .30 Carbine in a sealed can on bandos. for $169. Great service. The only ammo I usualy buy in Wal-mart is .22lr and 9mm. But still, its like waiting for a damn pizza.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I was at Wal-Mart Sport counter one day to get an exercise bike.

I stood there for about 20 minutes while employees walked on by either talking to eachother or with their heads in the clouds.

Of the few that I stopped and asked for help, they said "Sorry, this isn't my department." (Why the fuck aren't you in your department?) and kept going.

Well, myself and a friend of mine were getting REAL tired of just standing around with out thumbs up our butts. I grabbed the phone at the cash register and hit page "Associate to Sporting goods please, Associate to sporting goods".

We waited about another five minutes, employees continuing to walk by, (I think I saw one girl walk by about five times). Then he grabbed the phone and said "Hey, some customers are standing here by sporting goods and getting REAL sick of waiting"

20 second was all it took for a manager to get over to the counter.

She demanded to know who it was that used the phone. She was so irate her face turned a dark shade of red. My friend pointed to the next employee that walked by and said, with a straight face, "He did".

The poor guy turned towards us with this deer-in-headlights look on his face

I burst out laughing so hard, I was almost crying.

My buddy told the lady that we had been standing here for a half-an-hour, an no one has helped us. She said she doubted that, and began to help us with this pissed off look on her face.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Seems to me if you want great job security, go and work at Wal-Mart. There will be at least 1 person that will make you look like you are doing your job REAL great.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Nope, I have to hunt the guy down. Then he looks at me like i'm insane when I tell him I need 10 value packs of 9mm. Then I get the classic line, "sorry, we only have two boxes in stock" Head back a couple hours later and get it again, "sorry, we only have two boxes in stock"

The next time I go in the second time and he says he only has two boxes in stock, I think im going to call him out on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know why the hell so many of you shop at China-Mart, I mean Walmart. Since when did Walmart turn into a factory outlet for China? It seems 99% of the goods are made in china and no one has a problem with it???
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It seems 99% of the goods are made in china and no one has a problem with it???
View Quote

Why not?

The US is rarely in the manufacturing business anymore.

How many people do you know that have jobs in manufacturing?

Sure we still have Boeing, Firearms, and other specialty types of manufacturing; But how much do you think you'd be paying for a picture frame if the thing was made in the US? Somewhere in the range of %85 more.

The idea is that we pay crap-ass wages for other companys in other countries to make products to our specifications and import them so that consumers can buy them for dirt-cheap.

Our economy 15-20 years ago was all about manufacturing and production, now it has evolved to services and technology research and development.

That's why I have no problem buying products from china.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I buy from AMMOMAN!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have 2 walmarts in College Station, & I don't ever have a problem getting my ammo purchased.

P.S. My Grandma lives in Sturgis, so I know where Battle Creek is[:D] So are you Amish?
View Quote

Amish...nope...I just moved here from Temple, Texas....I never had a problem getting my ammo in Temple, Killeen, Austin, or BCS.
Moved here for a hot lady.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess I have been lucky I have never been detained on ammo, but they damn sure take there sweet time for a fishing license.
I purchased some out of state license for MS and it took 47 minutes from the time I gave them my Ohio Drivers License till I signed and paid for my fishing license. I could not believe this!! The Hunting Dept. Clerk was behind the counter and not assisting any customers when I handed him my Drivers License.

Thanks to everyone who has posted the ammo buying trouble with Wal-Mart I will not even try to buy any ammo from them anymore.

Newbushmaster I don't know were you are in Ohio, but if you are close to Gander Mountain or Galyans try them, I have never had one problem buying ammo at either place unless I was delayed due to long check out line.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're buying at Walmart because its cheaper then there has to be a reason it's so cheap and that would be the lack of help it appears.
View Quote

Exactly. However, I went to one of the local Wal-Farts last week to get one of those cheap hardcases (so I could ship a rifle) and there was an ACTUAL PERSON at the sporting goods counter helping people. It turned out to be the MANAGER of that department no less!!! He was very courteous and knew a little about his product lines (I noticed that they had a large number of the Winchester 9mm "Value Packs"). I was in and out in five minutes. That'll never happen again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Works for me.

Once at work, I paged MYSELF. People tried to figure that one out for weeks.
View Quote

That's nothin'.
I made a tape recording of people using the P.A.
at work.

On days when I knew the people I had on tape were not in, I would play the tape of them paging someone over the P.A.

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got 4 Walmart's within 20 miles of me and have bought from all of them with no problems. I buy from the one on the way to the range a couple times a month. My only complaint is the selection. Service and prices are fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#31]
If I don't see someone at the counter I'll walk around and look in that area for a few minutes.  Then I go find someone and have them paged.

One guy was in hardware playing with a duck call with a young lady Walmart employee.  I let him know what I thought about that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's really strange but I've never had any problems getting ammo here at my usual Wal-Mart in East [i]San Diego County[/i].  The 2 people that I usually deal with (a middle aged woman and an older gentleman) have their shit together and I'm in and out quickly.
View Quote

I used to live in east, (almost to Alpine), El Cajon, and over in Santee...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I am no big fan of Walmart, however when it comes to those 9mm 100 round value packs they got me hooked.  I have no problems at the local store and have never had the problems that seems to happen to a lot of others. I wonder why Walmart still sells guns and ammo as they seem so anti-gun??? who knows???
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got 4 Walmart's within 20 miles of me and have bought from all of them with no problems. I buy from the one on the way to the range a couple times a month. My only complaint is the selection. Service and prices are fine.
View Quote

hahaha, I've never been to KY but that makes all the jokes that much funnier.

Back to business.  I've been to walmart 3 times for ammo.  Always elderly men.  Once I had to show my ID to even ask about ammo.  Once I went to buy some .40, and the man insisted they didn't carry .40 until I had him call his manager.  The other time they just kinda blew me off as a pesky kid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#35]
What jokes would that be, cause its the same situation here.[rolleyes]

Wal-Mart
Bowling Green 30 minutes
Franklin 20 minutes
Glasgow  40 minutes
Lafayette TN 20 minutes
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#36]
What jokes would that be, cause its the same situation here.

Wal-Mart
Bowling Green 30 minutes
Franklin 20 minutes
Glasgow 40 minutes
Lafayette TN 20 minutes
View Quote

same here

paducah (2 of them) 20 minutes.
benton 25 minutes.
fulton 20 minutes
mayfield 15 minutes
martin, tn 40 minutes

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top