Posted: 5/5/2003 4:34:05 AM EDT
http://www.freestateproject.org/nra-pr.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACTS:
Jason Sorens, President
Free State Project, Inc.
Phone: (828) 225-1951
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.freestateproject.org  Timothy Condon, Esq., Director of Member Services
Free State Project, Inc.
Phone: (813) 251-2626
Email: [email protected]  

NRA HAS OWN MEMBER ARRESTED AT NATIONAL CONVENTION

April 29, 2003 – The National Rifle Association apparently had one of its members, a pro-gun activist, arrested at its national convention on Sunday, April 27, 2003 in Orlando, Florida for handing out pro-gun freedom literature from the Free State Project, Inc. The unlucky NRA member was Timothy Condon, a Marine Corps Vietnam veteran and Director of Member Services for the rapidly growing Free State Project. He was arrested by the Orange County Sheriff's Department Sunday for "trespassing" outside the Orange County Convention Center when he refused to leave or cease handing out the Free State Project literature (see sample).

"I believe there is a First Amendment problem with prohibiting people from passing out political literature on public property where there is no problem caused by it," said Condon, who also happens to be an attorney who practices law in Tampa, Florida. "What is even more bizarre to me is that the National Rifle Association would have one of its own members arrested for passing out literature that supports the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms."

Condon, who was attending the NRA convention himself, was held for 10 hours at the Orange County Jail before being released on bond. Jason Sorens, founder and president of the Free State Project, vowed to explore legal action against the National Rifle Association. "This is just outrageous," said Sorens. "It appears that the NRA only supports the First and Second Amendments to the Constitution if it's done according to their orders. I really think members of the NRA need to question their loyalty to an organization that would have one of its own members arrested for passing out pro-gun literature at its own convention."

Condon, a longtime NRA member, vowed to plead not guilty to the charge of trespassing, and said he is considering canceling his membership in the organization. "It looks as if the Free State Project is a stronger supporter of the Second Amendment, not to mention the First Amendment, than the NRA," he quipped.

END
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Another lawyer who doesn't know what the law states.
The first amendment does not prevent the government from making laws that interfere with the ownership of private property nor an owners right to have someone removed from that property even if that person believes he is involved with the practice of free speech. An individual or a business is within its legal rights to prevent free speech on its property as the first amendment only applies to the federal government.
This is why we are losing the war on gun ownership. No one, on our side, knows what the laws are or how to affect a remedy.
On the other hand the actions of the NRA are well within what I expect from them. Just another organization that has succumbed to the political game and the aphrodisiac that is power.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.freestateproject.org/nra-pr.htm[/url]

"It looks as if the Free State Project is a stronger supporter of the Second Amendment, not to mention the First Amendment, than the NRA," he quipped.

END
View Quote

No surprise's here....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another lawyer who doesn't know what the law states.
The first amendment does not prevent the government from making laws that interfere with the ownership of private property nor an owners right to have someone removed from that property even if that person believes he is involved with the practice of free speech. An individual or a business is within its legal rights to prevent free speech on its property as the first amendment only applies to the federal government.
This is why we are losing the war on gun ownership. No one, on our side, knows what the laws are or how to affect a remedy.
On the other hand the actions of the NRA are well within what I expect from them. Just another organization that has succumbed to the political game and the aphrodisiac that is power.
View Quote

It would appear the man was on public property, (The convention center). The First Amendment is binding on State and local govt....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The NRA has lost it's focus and is becoming invalid. I'm writing La Piere (or however he spells it) a letter today expressing my outrage!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The NRA has lost it's focus and is becoming invalid. I'm writing La Piere (or however he spells it) a letter today expressing my outrage!
View Quote

I'm sure one of his secretaries will send you a nice form letter back, along with a fund request.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top