Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 3:42:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never dealt with ferrets..Good luck Sweep.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If he has a favorite toy (hopefully something that has noise), use it he might get curious and come look.

Also put a food bowl and water outside and keep a very close eye on it.

Keep looking in the house too, I lost one that I was positive got outside and while I was out looking my girlfriend found her behind a bookshelf pinned underneath of a book.

Keep looking and take off from work if you can, they can die from the elements very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a no kill trap and bait it with his favorite food.  Set it out by the drier vent and wait.  Also, make sure you've searched the house very well.  Those little bastards can squeeze into some tight spots.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought ya meant this Ferret. I've got one of these...

[url]http://ferret50.com/ferret50_conversion.html[/url]

Hope ya get 'em back sweep, they don't come when called??
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey liberty86: how is that conversion working for you? I'd like to learn to shoot the 50 someday and probably should set myself up before they get banned.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh no!

I've owned 3 ferrets and when they "escape" it's a matter of luck whether they make it back alive or not.

We've been lucky and had neighbors call us or bring it by in a cardboard box.  Once one of them just wandered back into our yard by sheer luck, and we were outside by luck, depressed and worried about our missing pet.

But the sad truth is, the little bastards are just too damn nosy and curious for their own good and will wander off until they enter some dog's yard [:(]

Print out fliers and distribute them all over your neighborhood. Ask you neighbors to leash their dogs within their in their yards, and to check around the yard if they hear their dog barking like a maniac.  That's the main danger.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to your pet store and ask them for the oil (I cant remember the name for the life of me) that ferrets love and put a little in the treats in the live trap.  Everytime I would crack the bottle, mine would come running no matter where he was for the smell alone.  I agree with 101_proof, just because the dryer vent is off doesnt mean he is outside.  Turn off every source of noise and be real quite and sneak from room to room and you should find him if he's still inside.  Those ferrets are like Houdini, makes me miss mine.

Good luck Sweep

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#11]
They will usually wander around exploring but they typically come home for food.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Good news, Sweep.  Glad you found your wayward weasel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice 101_proof.

BTW, what are their natural habitats anyway?
View Quote

Actually, the type of ferret you buy as a pet really HAS no natural habitat.
They are completely domestic, and will not survive in the wild.
I am [b]very[/b] pleased that you found him.
I have been a ferret owner for many years...And one of the ones I currently have was found as a stray when she was a very young kit. ([i]she is actually the most amazing ferret I have ever owned[/i]...unlike most ferrets, she [b]loves[/b] to be petted, and scratched.
She will come up to you and roll over like a dog does when it wants you to scratch its belly)

I found her 3 years ago along the side of the road at night, under a street light, playing with the beetles and moths that were falling to the ground.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
The exact same thing happened to me, dryer vent and all. The little guy was gone a week wandering through the neighborhood and finally ended up stuck in a sticky trap under a neighbors kitchen cabinets. They stuck a broom under there to shake him out not knowing what it was and nearly died of fright when he came running out of there. For about ten years now there's been a mild urban legend about the "Humpedbacked Rat" that ran some old folks off their porch and laid siege to their house. I didn't see any point in telling anyone the truth.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear there was a happy ending.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats good to hear Sweep.  Everything ended good
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#18]
If you ever have any health problems e-mail me I have four ferrets and have had a few problems. If they ever throw up don't wait very long.they could have downed somthing. #1 cause of death is eating something like a pencil eraser.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Ferrets are THE most popular illegal pet here in Cali.  There are supposedly over 100,000 unlicensed ones here.

Glad to hear you got the little critter back.  Post pics when you can!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#21]
They used to be illegal here in Michigan too because if they ever got out, their instincts would make them run down rabbit holes and kill the rabbits or chase them out.  My ferret could hold her own with the family cocker spaniel but killing wasn't in her nature for sure
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Always wanted one of them long, skinny little bastards. I'm down to one cat now. Got lots of small kids around my house though. Probably not a good idea until they get older. Anyways... congrats on your finding the little critter. I have lost a couple of cats to lukemia and a dog to old age this past year and I miss 'em much. Specially my little dog.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweep,

You must 'ferret proof' your home immediately! To make this easier, we limited our boys to only three rooms in the house, our bedroom, the office and the den. All of these rooms are interconnected and have limited access to outside.

The oil that was discussed is called Ferrettone and is the secret to being able to find these carpet sharks easily. Get a squeeky toy that you only use for calling your ferrets and then when they come, give them a shot of the Ferrettone to reinforce the behavior. We began with them being held while squeeking then gradually moving further away until they can be in the most remote location (in these three rooms...kinda amazing) and still respond to the sqeeking.

Our younger ferret got out of the house and ZI used the toy and Ferrettone to fing him in the backyard. We have lost two ferrets to poor supervision and are super vigilant now. These guya re worth it but it does take a lot of work on your part to keep them safe. They really are kind of stupid when it comes to anything outside of their own range. Think of a VERY mobile 1 year old human and there you are.

Get in touch with me for further help or information.

Matt, Dart(monkey boy) and Kobi (little man)
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad to hear you found them. I have 5 of the little darlings. We have the living room ferret proofed so they can't get out. Ours come to their names and the sound of the treat canister.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad to hear it man.

Can't wait to see the pics.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They used to be illegal here in Michigan too because if they ever got out, their instincts would make them run down rabbit holes and kill the rabbits or chase them out.
View Quote

That is exactly the reason the Kalifornistan Liberals outlaw ferrets. They are afraid of a species of "feral ferrets" taking over.

Problem is...[b]it is an absolutely false belief[/b].
The domestic ferret has no instincts for survival in the wild.
They eat, sleep, and play...thats about it.

If you were to put one down a rabbit hole, the rabbit would almost certainly come running out.
But ferrets will not "stalk" rabbits (unless somehow trained to do so)

I will see if I can dig up pics of my two current ferrets:  "Mischief", and "Mayhem".
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Heheh, we never really had names for our ferrets.  One was "The Funky Ferret", the next was "The Snoopy Critter" and the last was just "Hey! Come back with that!" or "Hey! Get out of there!"

My dad had an old Ohio Scientific computer that used the giant floppy disks.  The disk drive was so damn big the ferret could crawl around inside it....often when the computer was running!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Hey! Come back with that!" or "Hey! Get out of there!"
View Quote

Yep, that pretty much describes the life of owning a ferret.  They are great pets as soon as you get used to the musky smell.

Keving67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top